main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official TFN Archive Thread: Jan update!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by TFN_Archive_Sock, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    To be honest, on beta readers I've found that simply finding my own from the boards works MUCH better! I'll never forget the beta I found on the list who told me that I needed to EXPLAIN who Darth Vader was...and how he was related to Leia. [face_laugh]

I'd recommend finding a few people (I have about four people I call on) to beta read and keeping them. The list never worked for me. Of course, that may be an isolated thing pertinent only to me. [face_thinking]

2. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Well everyone should know that the Beta-list at the Archives is just a list service and it's not actually something we have control over other than maintaing the list. Basically, anyone can sign up to be a beta-reader so we can't vouch for the quality. It's really there for those who can't find someone to help them. If you or anyone you know is a good beta and would like to offer your services, do sign up and add your name to the list. It's also important to remember that you don't need to use anyone on that list as your beta-readers. You are free to obtain your own two beta's for the submission. Also if you are on the list and no longer wish to beta and receive the e-mails, please let us know so we can remove the name. :)

3. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I also have a few people that I use as betas. I've never used the beta list myself. Sometimes I'll have several of my friends do it in order to get a variety of opinions as to what to change - especially if I'm unsure myself.

4. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    To offer an actual timeframe, I wouldn't actually wait. It doesn't hurt to drop a line to the list, but if you have someone else to ask, I don't think it would be rude to go ahead and do so.

I do tend to think of the mailing list and the Beta-Reader Index here as useful resources, but something of a last resort. If I can, I'll always start by asking someone I already know, whose advice I trust and who I have reason to believe is interested. I do know this isn't always feasible for everyone, especially newcomers to a fandom; I only ask a fairly limited number of people myself, and I think I met one of them through Star Wars. It's certainly possible to do a good job beta-reading a story that isn't really your cup of tea, but it is substantially easier to help someone with a story that is your cup of tea than to help someone who is trying to make hot chocolate instead. ;)

Well, I'd prefer the hot chocolate. So it's not a great metaphor. But anyway, feel free to ask the mailing list, but don't fret about waiting for it to get back to you if you've got someone else to talk to.

5. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    As a minor addendum, there have been several snafus lately with the beta mailing list.

I thought I had it working fine after the "upgrade" but it seems to be all kerflooey lately. I'm going to try again to get a techie to help out, but barring that I'll probably just need to clear out the queue and kick-start the darn thing again.

If that ends up being the solution, I'll send along an e-mail through the list to let everyone know. :)

EDIT: For whatever reason, the mail account for the beta list seems to be working fine again and I was able to send requests through last night.

6. Rynne

Rynne Jedi Master star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    So a couple years ago I submitted an article on how to properly format dialogue. It was pretty well received, and Gabri once told me you wouldn't mind a few more articles on proper grammar as well. I've been toying with the idea, but most common errors don't require as much in-depth explanation and correction as dialogue formatting does. I was wondering, first if you would still like more articles on grammar, and second, if I should do a series of much shorter articles with one topic each, or one longer article containing multiple topics.

7. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
    Write articles on grammar. Write many, detailed articles on grammar. Write them now. [face_hypnotized][face_hypnotized]

8. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    What Atty said, Rynne. [face_hypnotized] That dialogue formatting article is invaluable, and we could definitely use something addressing grammar. As far as the one long article vs. several shorter ones, I'm honestly not sure. Maybe try the series way first, and if they turn out to be too short, combine them? Either way, though, such articles would make us very happy. :D

9. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Aaaaah, but how are you going to get the writers to USE the articles on grammar? [face_mischief]

10. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    Fervent prayer.

[face_praying]

11. Persephone_Kore

Jan 19, 2006
    Throw erasers at them, of course.

(But not chalk. Chalk is dangerous.)

12. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    LOL! We use that a lot around the Archive, for various reasons. :p

*guiltily puts away chalk* [face_blush] [face_whistling]

13. TFN_Archive_Sock

TFN_Archive_Sock TFN Archive Editors and Reviewer Sock star 1 VIP

Sep 6, 2007
    Update, September 30, 2007:

Once again, we're pleased to present two new additions to the TFN Fanfic Archive.

Sneaking in just under the wire for September we have Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by LLL and The Clothes Make the Hermit by ardavenport.

In a bit of site news, the recent problems with the beta reader mailing list seem to have been corrected. If you've sent in a request that was not delivered, we apologize for the inconvenience and encourage you to re-send the e-mails that may have been lost.

14. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    I know this isn't supposed to be the place to make requests/complaints but I've not got any response from the usual channels. :(

The cover art for one of my archived stories, Children of Shmi, was not properly credited. It was done by a friend of mine called fialleril, but the credit went to me. Before the story went up, I was told to ask her to open an account there and she did. Despite this, the story came up with no mention of fialleril's name.

I first sent an email to the editors, and then later Private Message to Herman about correcting this. It's been 5 months since the story was updated and I checked now, and the cover artist is still me.

Is there anything that can be done at all or is the artist credit a field that cannot be altered after the story has been updated on the archives?

15. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    Thanks for letting me know. I have to go to work soon so if it's not fixed before I leave, I'll check into to it after work. Sounds like there could be a problem with either the e-mail or the contributor account or it just fell through a crack into Mt Doom. :p Sorry about that. :)

Mariah

16. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    Thanks MJ. Regardless of my problem, I think the editors at the Archives are doing a super job.

17. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    Okey doke, The credit is all fixed on that story art. :) And on behalf of all of us, thanks. :D

18. TFN_Archive_Sock

TFN_Archive_Sock TFN Archive Editors and Reviewer Sock star 1 VIP

Sep 6, 2007
    Important announcement: The email contact system seems to be on the frizz. Please use alternative means to contact the reviewers. :)

19. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    *sigh*

Tech support ... tech support ...

20. Persephone_Kore

Jan 19, 2006
    Completely unofficial "poll"/discussion topic:

What has gotten into the Archive's email lists?
    -Sea urchins
    -Bugs
    -Cicadas
    -Moths
    -Gnomes
    -Trolls
    -Spam
    -They have probably been eaten by a grue.
    -The Dark Side.
    -Killed by a Bane-Sith for violating the Rule of Two.
    -Became one with the Force
    -Became two with the Force
    -A message-hoarding dragon. We are soliciting volunteers to slay it and retrieve the hoard.

21. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999

Yikes, a thousand apologies for failing to follow through with that. [face_blush]

22. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    We are still having e-mail issues, so I'd suggest using the pm system on the boards in addition to the mail as a back up just in case.

23. Flowerlady

Flowerlady Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    :eek: There are articles about grammar....?

I'd use them....I can use all the help I can get. :p

FL @};-

24. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    *waves*

Hi, Flowerlady!

There are a bunch of articles at the archives on a number of writing topics. The article list runs for two pages and starts here.

25. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    Announcement:

We've just discovered that our e-mail issues are worse than we'd thought. At least one author did not receive the final decision letter we sent. At the moment, we don't know when outgoing e-mail started misfiring, or how many authors may have been affected. If anyone has submitted a fic and has not heard from us, I strongly recommend PMing either myself, Herman Snerd, or MariahJade2. We'll check our records and let you know the status of your fic.

We apologize most sincerely for any inconvenience, and will do our best to resolve this as quickly as possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.