main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOR The Old Republic News Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by SoloCommand, Nov 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    I'm using this thread to archive all the important news articles, press releases and general tidbits of information about The Old Republic, expect the first post to get very big, very quickly.

Please reply to this post if you have any more information which I've overlooked, or any new news articles to add.

Aggregated Articles

Massively.com's Everything We Know About Star Wars The Old Republic
    IGN's Old Republic Page
    Gamespot's Old Republic Page
    Rock Paper Shotgun's Old Republic News Articles

[u][b]Speculative Articles[/b] - Pre 21st October 2008[/u]

July 17th - [link=http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/the-tech-observer/2008/07/17/ea-to-play-in-knights-of-the-old-republic]John Riccitiello of EA Games announces the Existence of new Star Wars MMO[/link] [i](Link courtesy of portfolio.com)[/i]
    October 6th - [link=http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/starwarstheoldrepublic/news.html?sid=6198627&om_act=convert&om_clk=newsfeatures&tag=newsfeatures;title;3]Lucasarts and Bioware announce that "The Wait is Over", invitations sent for a press event on the 21st October[/link]

[hr]

[u][b]The Game is Announced[/b] - 21st October 2008[/u]

[b]Official Press Release[/b]
    [blockquote]<font size=1>LUCASARTS AND BIOWARE
    REVEAL STAR WARS: THE OLD REPUBLIC

OCTOBER 21, SAN FRANCISCO â?? LucasArts and BioWareâ?¢, a division of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS), today announced the development of Star Wars®: The Old Republicâ?¢, a story-driven massively multiplayer online PC game set in the timeframe of the Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republicâ?¢ franchise. Star Wars: The Old Republic, being developed and published by BioWare and LucasArts, represents an innovative approach to interactive entertainment, featuring immersive storytelling, dynamic combat and intelligent companion characters.

In Star Wars: The Old Republic, players will explore an age thousands of years before the rise of Darth Vader when war between the Old Republic and the Sith Empire divides the galaxy. Players can choose to play as Jedi, Sith, or a variety of other classic Star Wars roles, defining their personal story and determining their path down the light or dark side of the Force. Along the way, players will befriend courageous companions who will fight at their side or possibly betray them, based on the playersâ?? actions. Players can also choose to team up with friends to battle enemies and overcome incredible challenges using dynamic Star Wars combat.

"Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is the most critically acclaimed Star Wars game in LucasArts history and a preeminent example of our companyâ??s interactive storytelling heritage," said Darrell Rodriguez, President of LucasArts. "For a long time, weâ??ve long wanted to return to the franchise in a grand way, and we felt that the best setting for it was an online world that would allow millions of people to participate in the experience together. We knew that the developer capable of working with us to deliver an engrossing story with a fully-realized online world was BioWare."

"Traditionally, massively multiplayer online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars - combat, exploration and character progression," said Dr. Ray Muzyka, Co-Founder and General Manager/CEO of BioWare and General Manager/Vice President of Electronic Arts Inc., "In Star Wars: The Old Republic, weâ??re fusing BioWareâ??s heritage of critically-acclaimed storytelling with the amazing pedigree of Lucasfilm and LucasArts, and adding a brand-new fourth pillar to the equation â?? story. At the same time, we will still deliver all the fun features and activities that fans have come to expect in a AAA massively multiplayer online game. To top it all off, Star Wars: The Old Republic is s

2. I_AM_GEEK

I_AM_GEEK Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 5, 2004
    On the official TOR boards, the News and Announcements Forum has a list of most of the articles published including magazines and podcasts.

The IGN podcast is pretty good, but the Virtual Worlds podcast is a guy reading the highlights of the TenTonHammer interviews.

Also here's the IGN Game Profile for TOS that has all of their TOS articles linked at one place.

:-B

Edit: Massively.com's everything we know about TOR.

3. Obi-Wan_Ken-Obi

Obi-Wan_Ken-Obi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 28, 2005
    I hope we get some more info soon. It's been 2 1/2 weeks after all. They could be so gracious as to satiate our need for more media regarding the game. Maybe just the teaser they streamed at the presentation to the press. After all I think their is no need to shroud that particular item in mystery any longer.

4. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    I've added an aggregate news section, and videos from the press confrence.

I'll add more recent news articles from the news and announcements section of the forum by the end of the day.

5. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    This looks really good. :)

6. I_AM_GEEK

Oct 5, 2004
  7. I_AM_GEEK

Oct 5, 2004
  8. I_AM_GEEK

Oct 5, 2004
    Allakhazam.com interview with Sean Dalberg

He adds a bit more about info about Revan, and hints at the game being at E3 ect, next year, and they may do a few Fan gatherings.

9. I_AM_GEEK

Oct 5, 2004
    NEW SCREEN SHOTS RELEASED

A couple show companion characters, and a few of duels.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  11. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Grr, I just want to know when it's coming out and what the specs are so I can start building a computer to actually play this game!

12. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I've been looking but...

Can anyone tell me where I can find a list of locations that are confirmed to be included in the game?

13. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    If with locations you mean the list of planets, you can check it here.

14. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks! I was having trouble finding that. :)

15. Jedi_Master_Brian

Jedi_Master_Brian Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2010
    Do any of you know when the game is supost to come out I've been looking on the official web sit SWTOR.com but nothing is coming up on when it's going to be launched.

16. Corpseslayer

Corpseslayer Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2009
    Spring 2011, Master Brian.

17. shengxuan

shengxuan Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2011
    Spamvertiser

18. shengxuan

shengxuan Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2011
    Spamvertiser