main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Optimistic Appreciation Thread!

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by koonfan, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Perhaps it is Gascon who will be most inspired by Gregor's seeming sacrifice. I'm undecided on his chances of making it out of the arc. Same with WAC. It seems to me if TCW is gonna off one that they should go together.

2. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I don't see either Gascon or WAC being harmed in this arc. Same feeling I had with the Younglings arc, since it feels more aimed at a younger audience it's unlikely the focused characters would be killed.

3. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Now TCW has killed off younglings before. Remember Maul's massacre and then the Padawan that Savage killed? I'm suspicious given there was a tweet from Brent Friedman and maybe Watto can share is opinions about D-Squad being incredibly inspired by Gregor. Really everyone but R2 sounds up in the air.

4. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Maul killed a bunch of people we didn't know, and I can't even recall the name of that Padawan. I could see BZ or QT being destroyed but TCW may even pull a "we transferred their mind to another unit!". The Clone Wars can be really dark but you occasionally get these more younger focused arcs and the main characters always pull through (Gregor doesn't count, he only appeared on-screen for about 7-ish minutes :p).

Obviously, I could be completely wrong. Character deaths are supposed to be a surprise anyway.

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005

Why?

I mean, any objective reason besides obviously your personal preference?

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I rather have this Arc before the Maul Arc

7. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    But I'm curious as to why - because you anticipate it more? Want to see Clovis "get his"?

8. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I'm very curious as to what this Clovis arc entails. The Season 5 trailer seems to indicate a return to Cato Neimoidia, doesn't it?

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought Anakin, Padme and Clovis were going to have to fight together for some reason.

10. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    When was the last time any Saturday morning cartoon offed a bunch of kids nameless or not? I'm pretty sure TCW's benchmark is ROTS as far as violence. I'm not expecting R2's pink girl friend getting offed before Gascon. This is the same TV show that has showed two people take a give off a building to commit suicide and even had Vizsla run through a 14 year old. Then there is Khalifa. TCW doesn't shy away. We shall see. =b

07jonesj likes this.
  11. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Oh, yeah, I'm not saying The Clone Wars doesn't go to dark places. The first inkling of this kind of content was way back in Season 1 when Gha Nackht was stabbed in the back. I put the violence at ESB/ROTJ/TPM level - it being animation does make it less risky.

12. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I'd say the first inkling was the heads of Jabba's Bounty Hunters getting rolled out infront of him in the film.

CT-867-5309 and Seerow like this.
  13. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    TCW has always been that way and has seemed to push the violence further each season. I don't think its less risky in animation. Then again I have a higher tolerance for gore in animation.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    There is something about this season. It's been the first season with episodes that I've questioned letting my kids watch. With the show I err on the side of "let them watch it and they'll tell me if it bothers them," and they've been fine, but the issue never even crossed my mind before.

15. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Which episodes were the ones that had you questioning letting your kids watch it? Just curious.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Missing in Action and the Onderon arc.

17. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Honestly, I'm surprised by how even the "younger-focused" arcs are really dark in places.

Look at the Younglings arc. It clearly seems intended for a younger demographic than usual (though I loved it!). Yet we have Ahsoka being sold into slavery, and the way Hondo says that someone specifically wants a female Jedi is touching a very adult concept. I was actually taken aback at the end of that episode. Another moment is Grievous crushing a clone trooper's neck. Ouch.

Now let's look at the recent D-Squad arc. We have slapstick clearly aimed at the younger audience. Yet we also have, "Maybe he [Gascon] should jump?". A suicide joke?!?

Seerow likes this.
  18. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I haven't really considered the Young Jedi toned down actually. The themes and suicide with in the Droids arc as pretty tenebrous as well. TCW is the only action show on CN with the viewer discretion notice at the beginning. Its easily the most violent on the channel granted Sym-Biotic Titan could be very dark and sometimes Thundercats pushed it.

07jonesj likes this.
  19. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    And so even with the more "kiddy" arcs of the series, TCW just gets darker and darker.

07jonesj likes this.
  20. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Yeah, it really wasn't toned down at all. But going into it I was expecting it to be - it's focusing on younglings and it was shown ONLY to children at Celebration VI. I'd be quite curious to see if they cut anything out of the scripts for being too dark, given that it IS airing on CN. The only scene I know of being cut is Ventress kissing the ARC trooper.

Gah, whenever I read the word "Thundercats" that blasted theme tune comes into my head! It never stops!

Seerow likes this.
  21. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    You were comfortable with the Umbara arc? Not that I think its a big deal if you were, but I found there were very similar themes there when comparing that arc to Onderon or MIA.

That said I let my kid watch it all, TCW wise, when she wants to.(Which isn't that often anymore :p) Content thoughts always cross my mind but then I think back to how I was into Star Wars and G.I.Joe when I was a kid that age(5-10) and I figure I turned out alright :p

22. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    LOL awesome. Its to bad the new one wasn't allowed to use it. x.x;

Hopefully the version shown at Celebration becomes available somewhere at some point. That would make a much better special feature than director's cuts I can barely tell the difference of.

07jonesj likes this.
  23. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Not seen the new one, but if it doesn't have the theme tune then it doesn't interest me. I always found it hilarious that the animation during the theme was 5x better than anything you would see in the actual show.

Agreed. They've already got it cut as an 88-minute movie so just give it to us! [face_praying]

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Not entirely comfortable with Umbara either, no. But I do the same that you do, especially since my kids will both say, "That's gross/that's freaky/that's stupid, I don't want to watch anymore" and will leave the room if they see something they don't like.

25. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I like the Hitchcock influence in the new episode names.

Seerow likes this.