main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Origin of the title "Star Wars"?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by StarWarrior92, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    I don't where this would go, so mods can move this to wherever they feel it fits best.

So I go to school at Oklahoma City Community College, and I'm apart of the Film program there. One of my professors is Gray Fredrickson, who produced the Godfather trilogy, Apocalypse Now, and others. He tells lots of stories of his days with Coppola and one Star Wars related story totally blew my mind.

He said that a little while after American Graffiti was finished, George Lucas told Fredreckson, Coppola, and Gary Kurtz to go on a drive with him. They all piled in a car and drove somewhere in the San Fran area. They got out at some pool table club (or something like that) and George led them to an arcade in the back. He showed them what Fredrickson described as an early version of "Space Invaders". George than pointed to the title of this certain arcade game. According to Fredrickson.....it was called "Star Wars". George said to them, "That's my next movie".

:eek:

I had never heard that before. Fredrickson, not knowing much about Star Wars, claimed that the game itself was what gave Lucas inspiration for what was to become ANH. I do think that perhaps Lucas already had the story in mind and just needed a title, but I find it hard to believe that Lucas based the huge universe of Star Wars on an arcade game.

Even so, I was shocked to learn that there was something else called "Star Wars" before Lucas ever made ANH.

Thoughts?

2. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    In the first rough draft it was called "Journal of the Whills", in the second one "Adventures of Luke Starkiller", after this "The Star Wars" and at last just "Star Wars".

3. xtinataguba

xtinataguba Jedi Youngling

Nov 13, 2012
    nice! im lucky i learn something today. thank you for sharing!

4. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    I think it may have been "Space Wars" as it was the true first arcade game, not Pong like commonly thought. Space Wars didn't go over so well with people because it was deemed too hard (no one had played video games before). Pong was released soon after. Big Hit. Interesting story.

5. Attariel

Attariel Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    I dont know about other titles but I do know that it was once called "The Adventures of Luke Skywalker" Which was later changed to Star Wars but I am not sure about the other possible titles that were considered.

6. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
  7. Deciple_of_Malak

Deciple_of_Malak Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2005
    Wow, mind = blown, I wasn't aware of that. I also love Space Invaders! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.