main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Oscar Race: Now Disc. Ranking the Oscar hosts of the past 20 years

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Not much action so far this year, though EW was reporting trade show advertisements for "Junebug" in September. I mean, they moved the Oscars up to February to cut down on the advertising, mainly because the Oscar-worthy movies are usually released in the late fall.

I'm guessing the men's race looks like this so far: Philip Seymour Hoffman in "Capote", and probably Joaquin Phoenix in "Walk the Line." Possibly Jeff Daniels in "The Squid and the Whale."

The woman's race is the usual breakdown: probably Reese Witherspoon in "Walk the Line" and 4 indie actresses in movies nobody's seen.

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I saw the trailer for Munich not long ago. That movie just screams Best Picture.

3. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    I saw " Walk The Line " and " Pride and Prejudice " over the weekend and those films will get nominated for best picture. Phoenix and Witherspoon are locks also. Sutherland will probably get a best supporting actor nomination for " Pride and Prejudice " as will Peter Sarsgaard for " Jarhead ". He's been getting the shaft the past few years by the Academy ( " Shattered Glass " and " Garden State " ) so its time for eveyone to get familiar with probably one of the top two best American actors in the buisness right now. And its not just my inner geek talking but objectively speaking it would not suprise me one iota if " Batman Begins " gets a nomination for picture or if Caine and/or Oldman get nominated for their work in it, as well as McDiarmid for RotS. The Oscars are WAY more honest and less political with the supporting actor/actress categories.

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Why not Gyllenhaal for best Actor?

5. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    Maybe, he was very good in the film. Phoenix was the first performance this year by a male where I said to myself " this guy is getting nominated for an Oscar " ( I havent seen " Capote " yet ). It wasnt a strong year for male performances or movies at all thus far so on the same token as your question: Why not Christian Bale?

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    It ain't going to happen. Did anyone win for LOTR? No. Not in fantasy or superhero movies.

7. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    Your right - I doubt he would win, but it wouldnt be unprecendented for a sci-fi, fantasy, or horror to be nominated for picture, nor would it be for actors in those films to get recognized by nominations.

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Nobody won for any of the SW movies, either. Or was nominated. Granted, the leads never are, but there were some decent supporting performances.

9. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    True, for SW anyways. Sigourney Weaver got nominated for " Aliens " as did Jeff Bridges for " Starman ". Fredrich March actually won the Oscar for " Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde " as did Julie Andrews for " Mary Poppins " but off course its probably totally different politics these days.

10. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    You are indeed right about Bridges and "Starman"--and about March, though I would classify Dr. J and Mr. H as a horror film. Oscar wins in horror are extremely rare. And only two men in the history of the Oscar won Best Actor for comedy (I counted).

11. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Why not Gyllenhaal for best Actor?

Because Jarhead is a dead movie. Despite the film's impressive pedigree it is simply not good enough. It is one of the disappointments of the awards season. Best Actor is over anyway--its Hoffman all the way.

Conversely, due to the lack of quality films this year, the long thought dead Cinderella Man might actually have a shot at some of the big categories.

The films fighting it out over the main categories will likely be Capote, Munich, The New World, Brokeback Mountain, Goodnight, and Good Luck, Walk the Line, The Constant Gardner and In Her Shoes.

Once again, films like BB and ROTS will be relegated to lesser categories like sound and FX.

12. ROTS_Obi1

ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 16, 2005
    You are mistaken in the 1977 Oscars, Alec Guiness was nomiated for best supporting actor.

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Unfortunately, I must agree with Moff D. Star Wars and Batman are strong contenders for the technical awards, editing, VFX, set design, ect.Star Wars may also have a shot at winning for best original score. But Best Actor, Best Director? I don't see it. I think Ewan deserves at least a nomination for his work as Obi-wan in Ep.III, but unfortunately I don't think he'll get it. I don't think that the Academy voters or the movie going publice are capable of watching a movie like Star Wars and actually looking past the special effects the characters and the actors who play them.

14. ArnaKyle

ArnaKyle Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2000
    It seems like PSH is a bit of a lock for Capote, although I think Phoenix might get some strong support for Cash. The biopic is really quite strong lately, and both Hoffman and Phoenix seem to be pretty dead on. But I'd say Hoffman has the artsy factor on his side, which certainly helps.

Picture, I'm not sure, but I'm disagreeing with the inclusion of P&P (not that I have seen the movie). First of all, just from reading the direct press, the movie is attempting to be popular with the younger date crowd, which won't make a best picture, especially when 95% of the P&P-loving public is diehard BBC version. Reputation is going to hurt it, because they're not really trying to pass it off as an Oscar worthy movie as much as they are sexed up version of a cliche and overdone story. I would like to think Walk the Line and Capote will both pull strong in Picture, but I'm not sure how mainstream Walk the Line will get. War of the Worlds might get thrown in being a Speilberg/Cruise/ginormous amount of money picture.

For tecnical, I suspect the Academy may pull a RotK scenario and give Star Wars the lot, mostly because their chances are done after this year, maybe they'll even take score. But they're not even a thought for the major categories.

15. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I suppose its possible, maybe as a symbolic recogntion of the Saga finally being completed and to shut up all the Star Wars fans who have spent the last 20 years *****ing about how Star Wars lost Best Picture to a romantic comedy, but I agree with you about the really prestigious awards. Ep.III has a flame's chance on Hoth for winning those.

16. PlastiqPhantom

PlastiqPhantom Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2002
    I really hope David Strathairn (sp?) from Good Night and Good Luck gets a nod, I'm sure Capote and Walk the Line will both get Best Actor Nods. I'd also like to see Ralph Fiennes for Constant Gardener and the other one to whoever, maybe Clooney or Bana from Syriana or Munich. I'm sure SW will get nominated for Visual Effects, Sound Design, Sound Editing, and Costumes probably not much else, although it would be nice to see Ian McDiarmid get a Best Supporting Nod but I highly doubt he will. I don't see many other nods for RotS same with BB, I don't see much of anything other than just tech awards. King Kong will probably get some tech awards too for VFX, Sound Editing and Design, and costumes as well, it could also garner some other ones like Editing and cinematography and probably score. I'm not entirely sure whether Cinderella Man will get a nod for anything, I'd like to see it at least get a few, it was a really good film, sadly overlooked. I'm sure some other indie films such as Bee Season might also get some attention, but who knows.

For best film of the year I'm betting, Good Night and Good Luck, Capote (or maybe Constant Gardener), Walk the Line, Munich and I'll bet on King Kong at this point.

17. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I doubt "Cinderella Man" will get anything. Main-stream movies that tank are seldom cut any slack. And Crowe's press, since the telephone-heaving incident, hasn't been good.

18. PlastiqPhantom

Jul 26, 2002
    Indeed, I forgot about the telephone thing too. Nevertheless I thought it was a very good film, but whatever.

19. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    that Munich movie looks like it'll be a top contender

20. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    It was a good performance, but the odds are against it.

"Jarhead", too, doesn't seem to be doing as well as anticipated. A lot of complaints that it was not what people expected.

21. PlastiqPhantom

Jul 26, 2002
    Yeah Jarhead seems to be generating "meh" buzz, which looks bad for it's Oscar competition.

I forgot about Geisha I think it will have a good chance for some nods too, especially Cinematography and costumes.

22. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    what are everyone's thoughts on king kong and the oscars?

23. PlastiqPhantom

Jul 26, 2002
    I really think King Kong has a damn good chance, at least for the main stream contenders. I personally think it can get nods for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Cinematography, Best Score, Best Visual Effects (although I'm positive it will get nominated in this category), Best Sound, Best Sound Editing, Best Editing, Best Costumes and maybe some others. Although, this all depends on if it's actually a good movie, but I'm sure it will be.

24. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    You forget Sir Alec Guinness--nominated for Best Supporting Actor.

25. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    [mutter]that has already been pointed out to me[/mutter] I get it.

"King Kong" has no chance as Best Picture. No matter how good it is. It's a remake & a popcorn picture.