main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Phantom Menase in 3-D in 2007!!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Darth_Lacerus, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    I can't wait! I hope there will be a digital Yoda, and the extended scenes to the podrace that was added to the DVD to be enhanced or cut out.

2. SHAUN-FOREVER

SHAUN-FOREVER Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2004
    The future is here!

3. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    "I hate to be the first to say this, but will it bring much money in at the box office? A lot of people never liked the film, does anyone know how well it did on VHS and DVD? If it did well, then there is probably nothing to worry about."

It was one of the biggest box office hits in history. It also did well on VHS and DVD. Don't confuse critics that didn't like it and general audience who didn't like it. The two are different.

There is no reason to believe that this won't do well at the 3-D box office. It will make people curious and they will want to know what is going on with it.

-Seldon

4. Darth_Sammy52

Darth_Sammy52 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    So.....that being said...what are you most interested to see in 3-D in The Phantom Menace?

The parts I'm most interested to see in 3-D is the whole movie! This is great news! I'm dying to see this, as I am w/ the other five movies!

5. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Hope theres no tint from the glasses then.

I don't see this being so wonderful myself.

6. Sabreman

Sabreman Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2001
    No doubt fans are already calling Lucas insane on numerous internet forums for releasing all 6 Star Wars films in 3D. Which means that James Cameron, Robert Zemeckis, Robert Rodriguez and Randall Kleiser must all be insane too, since they all support this new 3D technology. (I believe Peter Jackson also supports it, which makes him insane as well.)

7. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    You believed right, Peter Jackson is also on board.
    I say, give it a chance before you bash it.
    Have an open mind.

-Seldon

8. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    So, um,how exactly are they going to fake this? Don't you need to shoot with two lenses to do this?

9. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Computers can do wonderful things nowdays...

And what I understand the 3D is a bit different in the technology. It is usuing digital projection.

Supposidly no reduction in quality...and the process now does NOT give headaces.

10. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    I havent seen any samples of this NEW and IMPROVED 3D digital technology, but if the biggest directers of the blockbuster genre are impressed enough to subject their greatest films to this advancement and then gamble on its success in theatrical re-releases then I bet it looks a whole lot better than any 3D projects of the past.

With millions of dollars on the line to develop this technology I'm inclined to think it'll become the mainstream process of going to the movies. It probably feels more like a holographic experience than the 3D experience of the 1950's when it first was introduced.

There's a good chance (in the case of Lucas) this reprocessing is a financial stepping stone to get an opportunity to redo some shots that lack visual appeal in the OT as well as update some of the technology developed throughout the series to match the sheer beauty of Episode 3. I don't know what this processing into 3D entails, but I would imagine the film elements have to be separated and completely put back together from scratch.

11. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Probably, that may explain why he's onlt bringing out one per year. He probably wouldn't have time to do all 6 films at once.

12. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    Are these films going to be released on HD-DVD in 3D?

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Probably not for the forseeable future. I hear that small screen 3D doesn't work that well.

14. cyberfelon

cyberfelon Jedi Youngling

Mar 28, 2005
    Like a couple of other people here I'm left scratching my head trying to figure out how they can turn a 2D film into a 3D film since traditional 3D movies are shot with two lenses. I have no question that 3D movies look really nice as I've seen a 3D IMAX movie and it was very, very nice (although this was 6 years ago and I didn't have the eye for spotting technological problems that I do now). The idea of Star Wars in this format is great, and it will also give theatres an excuse to regularly play classic films.

I'm really hoping that their 3D version of a 2D film isn't just all the 2D elements laid out like cardboard cutouts since this seems to be the only logical way they can take the single angle that was filmed and turn it into a different angle for each eye. Technology has come a long way, but not everything can be solved using computers. These days it's almost like people think computers are some kind of magical tool that can do the impossible... as far as I know computers can't just take a 2D image and create a version of it that's a few centimetres to the left/right. That's something that would be next to impossible for a human to do, let alone a computer. I know it would be fairly easy to tell a computer "This wall is way back there, these characters are there, these people are in the foreground" and have it all look 3D, but the real question is how they'll make the actual wall 3D, how they'll make the actual characters 3D. My guess is that this is impossible, but I hope I'm wrong.

15. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    If you've seen Ghostes of the Abyss or Spacestation 3D, then you already know what this is going to look like. It won't be 3D in the sense that everthing looks like perfectly rendered holograms. It probably will have something of a cardboard cut out look.

Imax 3D

16. Darth_Lacerus

Darth_Lacerus Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 9, 2004
    This version of 3-D is based on the polarization of the film image. What that means is that the film is shown at the same time with each image slightly off-set from the other. When you wear the polarizing lenses the images merge into a three dimensional image that will wow your pants off.

Polarizing lenses have a darker tint so the images projected onto the screen are brightened. In addition the screens have a silver sheen to them to allow for a further enhanced image.

With digital video it is far easier to create a Three Dimensional image. There are numerous directors on board with this new technology because it is set to revolutionize film.

Those who mentioned Ghosts of the Abyss are correct. The images are spectacular.

Now...that being said.....one of the reasons they are trying to go to 3-D is to foil the piracy of movies and compete with DVD and VHS markets.

At this point it is impossible to film a 3-D film with a current video camera and capture the 3-D effect. It is also impossible to capture the 3-D image of VHS or DVD.

This is one of those steps that the movie industry takes every so often.

When Radio was born.....Talkies were created.
    When T.V. was born....color flims were created.
    When color T.V. was born .... Panavision was created (widescreen panoramic)
    Since the birth of VHS and DVD they have tried to compete but have been unable to....until now.

This could be amazing.

17. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    This could be amazing

Agreed. This technology has the potential to take good movies like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and The Matrix and turn them from merely good movies into truly mind-blowing cinematic experiences.

18. Forja-Bingbey

Forja-Bingbey Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 12, 2002
    I'm not sure if I wanna see Panaka in 3D.

19. HanandChewie

HanandChewie Jedi Youngling

Mar 27, 2005
    I just can't wait to see the pod race in 3-D.

20. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Don't forget the Jedi duel. :eek:

3 Way lightsaber battle + 3D= *Brain Explodes*

21. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    I doubt my theatre will have it in 3d. But id love to see it on the big screen again.

22. venusboy

venusboy Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2005
    Exactly, what will it mean, releasing the two trilogies in 3-D? Will you be able to wear those funky 3-D-glasses while watching it hehe? And what about the f/x? Improved? Majorly improved? You see, I've never really had a grip about this thing called 3-D...

23. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    It was one of the biggest box office hits in history. It also did well on VHS and DVD. Don't confuse critics that didn't like it and general audience who didn't like it. The two are different.

Yes. Unfortuately the people who didn't like TPM usually burry this fact. I'm not saying that a sucessful movie is always a great movie but well.....I love TPM. :)

Anyway, Lightsabers will look great in 3D. Remember the Pepsi commercial that was released around the time the Special Edition came out? ;)

They could make Jar Jar's tounge 3D. Would probably stand out as a fun 3D moment.

24. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    They could make Jar Jar's tounge 3D. Would probably stand out as a fun 3D moment.

Yeah, especially when Qui-gon turns around and grabs it.

25. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    STAR WARS EPISODE I: THE PHANTOM MENACE in 3-D. Bring it on! :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.