main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference The RPF Policies, Programs, and Events Thread - Now Disc.: New User Welcomes

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Imperial_Hammer , Aug 24, 2008.

1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    But...I didn't say anything O:)

2. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    For the record, I am absolutely against a game in WNU. All that does is put distance between us and new users. They should be jumping on the ferry to our neck of the woods to play games.

Mitth_Fisto and HanSolo29 like this.
  3. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
  4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Equally agreed. Though a mini-Episode VII prequel game wouldn't hurt. Younglings with their Master, something, something.

Sin knows.

But the main game has to be here.

5. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Well, to put even MORe Gming on someones plate won´t make it any easier to GM a big game here. I mean let´s face it, we have not many GMs over here who have the time, the ressources and the vision to make such a game and are available. Most of our GMs simply are quite busy, many others have retired or semi-retired. A game like this needs the right team and the right tone. So yes, Episode VII might make it easier for people to join.

Speaking of which my entry into the tournament is as good as ready, but seeing what is up, I wonder if I should embarass myself by posting it in the first place :p

6. spycoder9

spycoder9 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2008
    My entry's almost ready. :D It's almost nothing like the others. Very, very bleak. But I'm excited to see some other last minute OP's come in as well. :)

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Embarass yourself Sirak! And all of you last minute entries suck. I had the guts to post first! :p

A team of GMs is agreed, though. We need to set the right tone, and have the right vision.

8. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Nevertheless, we would need someone to take lead. We had a team of GMs in TORR, but we had TGI as a mastermind. If not it would never have worked. So I recently read the idea of a community supported game on another forum. I kinda liked it. A "GM-for-hire" getting support by the community to create a game that brings the boards forward. It has the charme that he has not to worry about rivalry, he just needs to get the job done right.

9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I like the idea of a team of GMs. I think that could work out nicely. My only concern is to make sure that you pick a team that is dedicated to the project and will see the game all the way through to the end. There have been games run like this in the past that simply died out because one or more of its GMs decided to disappear off of the face of the planet. And each time, it was a real shame because the games themselves were something really special. I'd hate to see that continue to happen.

So, in a way, I guess this ties in with what Sirak said above about having the time to carry such a project.

10. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Satellite games in WNU will be summarily shot down - again, it's dividing our player base. The problem with adoptions and training in the past in WNU was that no one ever really seemed to graduate over to the RPF proper. That's not to knock the work people put it - clearly they were doing well enough that no one wanted to leave :p

11. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    I feel that a team of GMs would work; I feel that a flagship game, headed by the group of selected veteran, dedicated, and motivated GMs for the good of the RPF, could work. Once again, as it has already been mentioned, DRL does happen and a GM might have to step down.

12. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    As long as a GM steps down with notice, it can be accounted for. I had a fortnight off for 128 ABY, and nobody noticed because, well, the Triumvirate stepped in ;) But the game was supposed to have two other GMs at the start who didn't post enough, so I took over. MASTERPRENN and Evil_King_Wiggins?

13. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    I agree with you, Sinrebirth.

14. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    You need someone who steps in when such a scenario happens. I had a great Co-GM in SotS and when Republic_Anvil vanished my player base had naturally dwarved to a degree I could take over and ask my third Co-GM to do a bit more to give me room, which LordT did, by doing more NPC scenes. Communication is key to all, I say. As with any team effort.

Which brings up the questions of how such an effort would happen. Do the Mods pick someone and he gets himself a team? Do we do it in a contest of sorts? Do the team form and then decide who is leader of hte pack or do they simply do it all in commission (which probably won´t work, games done by the community never worked)

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, ideally interested parties would step forward and say they'd like to organize it - I'm not a fan of the idea of mods pointing at someone and saying "YOU. YES YOU. YOU WITH THE FACE." We're not gods. Yet. :p

Sinrebirth and Penguinator like this.
  16. SirakRomar

Mar 30, 2007
    Well, ideally someone would just show up with a good idea :p I´d say if anybody got anybody in mind, it is simply a good idea to write a pm to him and tell him, he should give it a try. If the Mods have someone in mind, do the same. Nobody can feel forced by being shown appreciation and trust, as long as we all agree everybody got the right to say NO.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  17. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    Episode VII is a hard topic. I never got mine ironed out and decided I should go write updates for TFW instead of trying to make an OP which does not want to be made, obviously.

Anyway, I got another two newbies signing up for TFW. Let´s hope I can give them what they are looking for and that was shall see many, many more in the near future.

18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    To be frank I'm a little confused by the lack of entries...

19. Sir_Draco

Aug 19, 2007
    It´s damned hard to write a good Episode VII. I spend probably three hours with my idea and out came only rubbish. I think I have written TFW in half the time, but . . . my thoughts on Ep7 have not yet formed fully. I found it really difficult. Really, really difficult.

But maybe if I make a breakthrough I can post it "out of competition"? Ramza, Peng unsure if you would be fine with it.

20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I have no issues with folks submitting noncompetitive "exhibition" entries, no.

21. Sir_Draco

Aug 19, 2007
    Great, I´ll see if I make a breakthrough until the weekend then. :) I loved the idea of it, but I have to make it a working game somehow.

22. Lukes_Apprentice

Lukes_Apprentice Jedi Master star 3

Oct 15, 2008
    I was thinking about it but I need the time to do it.

23. Sir_Draco

Aug 19, 2007
    Anway, I would support a Community Game in any way I can. TFW drains my ressources a bit more than anticipated, but I would love to see an EpVII game around here.

24. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Right now I´d say your game seems to be our most newbie friendly and you actually gave a few a home already, Draco. So keep up the good work. Let the others worry about Episode VII :p

25. Sir_Draco

Aug 19, 2007
    No plans to stop anytime soon.