main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive The RPF Summer Challenge

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by Imperial_Hammer , May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Okay. Got a couple ideas. No idea if they were on any of the channels mentioned though. They were not around when I was young enough to appreciate cartoons.

2. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Alrighty folks, its time for the results. Apologies for the lateness, and more apologies for the brevity, but it has been a very busy week and I wanted to get this out tonight.

A note that every single entry here is of exceptionally high quality. You guys really did a great job finding and creating insightful and amazing pieces. If any one of you guys are really really curious as to what I thought on some of these pieces beyond the small snippet I wrote here, *AND* you don?t mind waiting for a few extra days, send me a PM and I?ll put you on my to-do list.

Winner: Challenge 3: Xan
    Winner: Challenge 4: Fins

[b][u]Challenge 3[/u][/b]

[b]Winged:[/b] A great and novel piece. Very creative and the parallels you draw are very interesting, especially for me as a political scientist. However, I am left wondering if you try too hard to fit RPing into this analogy. I don?t know if longevity is a factor in success, as I?ve seen plenty of oldbie games tank. I also don?t know if GMs should focus only on people they know. I know you were trying to build on a theme you don?t believe in, but there are just a few areas such as this where I wonder how close this theory actually is to reality.

[b]Xan:[/b] Gets the win. I particularly like the closeness to reality this piece gets, with many examples being used. Its clear, bounded in reality, and best of all, its practical. I can foresee people looking even at the categories you lay out and wondering how they would align themselves on these dimensions. The idea of a ?player style? composed of certain barometers is an intriguing one. That I enjoyed a slice more than the many great entries here.

[b]Rachel:[/b] A nice survey on dramas. What I would have really liked to see was a wider breadth of games here. Now I know you haven?t been around enough to known more than the few games you post in, but that would have really made this article pop in my eyes. I would have also liked to see mutually exclusive categories, utilizing more clear-cut genres rather than fuzzy explanatory attributes. When I see 41 ABY being classified as both a horror and a suspense/thriller, I am left to wonder which exactly it is. If you could really add to this with more analysis and a wider span of games from different GMs and times, it would be a real masterpiece. Come back to this one please! :)

[b]Fins:[/b] Most of this was a Lit essay! I would have really liked to see more RPF-centric stuff here. I get the idea that we want to talk about a specific area of fanon, and how fanon can be used, but I get more description than analysis. It probably would have helped if I read Legacy too I suppose. Maybe some prescriptive would have spiced up this more. Tell me what specifically other players can do to utilize fanon effectively? Its still a good essay, but you could have taken it a step further.

[b]Me:[/b] Waaka waaka waaka

[hr]

[b][u]Challenge 4[/u][/b]

This challenge was significantly more difficult to judge. Therein I can?t say these decisions were entirely objective. I tried to stay as close to some objective measures but when I you get to your top three choices, you can?t help but to use your own personal taste a bit as well. With this disclaimer, we continue:

[b]Trimaj:[/b] An excellent post. As we have discussed before, Sai is really one of those hidden masters that disappeared. I notice the post is lavish when it comes to details and being able to create that all important mental picture. What I notice is missing is a focus on thoughts and backstories. I read the post as I watch a very nice movie, but the heads of each of the characters [i]for the most part[/i] remains a mystery. While this is not a problem, per say, the post could be better through including this philosophical/psychological element.

[b]Winged:[/b] Close. Very very close. It?s a superb post to be sure. PoT covers his bases for details (though not perhaps to the same degree as Sai), and also manages to weave in some development and thoughts of his character. I like your commentary and agree with you that i

3. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I think you should give it a few days, there just aren't many children's cartoons that make would make good RPGs, and the ones that do are borderline adult, even if they were shown as kids shows on cartoon network. There are a few I think would work quite well though, but they would be unique RPGs. Take Dragonball for example, the best way to turn it into an RPG would be as a tournament style game with freestyle character creation. Though you could pull off a slightly squad based Codex09 style RPG, it would be quite a bit harder to keep going.

Another good one for that style would be Avatar: The Last Airbender, or Justice League. But with something like Spongebob, or The Wild Thornbarrys just wouldn't work.

Evil.

4. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    I really think you won´t get any german entries, Imp. We don´t have these channel´s. And last time I saw a cartoon it was only a few month ago, I was surprised it was pretty good, but pretty adult, too. And it was epic long and I don´t know what it was called and really . . . He-Man and the Master´s of the Universe (was it on these channels?). The only cartoon (from the eighties) I can think about worthy of making a RPG from . . . or a surreal Roadrunner Cartoon (was it on the channel´s?). Where one player always kills the other? But even for these two, after 25 years I would need to make MASSIVE research. Which I can´t do without letting down my updating duties.

You see?

I think it isn´t that different with other germans.

Simpsons are Fox, are they?

Well . . . that´s what you got when you do a "youngster-contest", I sit in the corner and look at the younger crowd and spit a "was all better when I was their age" at your contestants.

Consider me Clint in Gran Torino mode. Waiting for next challenge to finally part-take in one. :p

On another note:

[b]Congrats Xan and Fin, I must say I would have picked the same ones.[/b]

Even though I MUST admit that Fin was lazy. As his own game spawned the entry. You could have digged up a thousand excellent posts from earlier games of her, man [face_grin]

Interesting though how dominant our two award-winners are in the contest. Looks like they have impressed lots of people. I myself wanted to put in a LordDarthUmbrus post myself, but GAW was sooooo loong, I couldn´t find the plotline I aimed for to start with [face_laugh]

And Xan´s one was as always superior. Very usefull. I think we should repost it somewhere. Considering the impact her scale-analysis had on the way games are done here, these days.

My god, I can´t stop typing today. I´ll now shift my writing-fury to updating my games.

5. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Okay, I am embarassed again. But somehow I knew I would see this post submitted by Fin. *sighs* I am getting used to people liking my posts. Please don´t comment on it!

Well, that post came frightening natural to me. It was my first post with Kira after a 1 1/2 years absence. So I kinda jumped into her mind, when I began typing. Actually I think it reads even better with Fin´s mood-setting GM post before.

That´s why I posted here in the first place. I think it is an art of it´s own to make good use of GM posts. We should have a challenge probably where we pair and do both or . . . a field challenge where we find updates and reacting posts that worked well.

Just an idea. While it seems complicated, it is for example what makes Winged´s ManCubs so alive, that we react very immature in parts to his posts, like "ManCubs" would do. It makes 41 ABY special, that we all play our characters relatively cold. So we can feel the sensation of warmth, when somebody shows feelings. And so on . . . GMs really guide the players into the atmosphere of the game and it is to us players to take it up.

My next philosophy entry?

Mayhaps. *laughs*

6. RachelTyrell

RachelTyrell Jedi Master star 3

Feb 15, 2009

Very perceptive. I would say when I send it to you, I was 30% done with what I had planned. Especially the analysis of Games I planned in the end hasn´t happened at all. That´s why inserted this "hints".

But I usually write such things in the course of 6 weeks (btw, that´s the time I´ll need to replay to your Codex-Argument). Therefore Ireally could only draw my analysis on 10 games ro so. Especially since I did not wanted to judge games in their first impression. I love to read games. But I need to read from various parts to make sure. Xavier´s? Exiles? IBoP and Alchemists . . . I am aqware of these games, but I had no time to categorize them. Which could be interesting. Also having 41 ABY in both categories probably needed more explanation. Also I don´t believe in one product- one category. That´s categorizing for me. Not analysis.

Anyway, once I´ll have time . . . one day . . . I´ll probably expand this article.

The Winner was amazing, though! Congrats Xan. And Fin played it save . . . seems SirakRomar is an award-winning-machine. @};- :cool:

7. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    A winnah is me! *high-fives Fins* :cool:

As an aside, when I came back from my RPing hiatus a couple of years ago (holy crap - it's been that long) I initially had difficulty adjusting to different styles of GMing - previously I'd basically only played in IBOP, or games made by IBOP veterans, and the GMing styles there were all largely homogeneous. So it was interesting, personally, to think about why that was so... :D

And I do kinda have a cartoon in mind for the fifth challenge but no time to write a game, whether this week or the next. So oh well.

8. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Yeah nice one Xany. It was a very well thought out, perceptive piece of work. I liked it, and I especially liked it because I was in it, and everyone likes to see themselves analysed. :p

Fins and Sirak, a more than worthy post. Good job.

I don't think I'm going to have anything up for this challenge...but if I do then I'm leaning towards the Turtles...

9. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    *high fives Xan*

Yeah, well, thanks everybody ESPECIALLY you Claire/Sirak.

It is true, it is true . . . it was field challenge and I shoudl have digged deeper. I actually did, having a TheSithGirly post as Krayt (entering the caves) and a Aruw´n Bonadan Dark Side vision (great Darth_Bojangles, so missed) in my selection.

And yeah, she won the award for that stuff, so I was not really taking a risk here. Obviously she is a star.

But hell, I loved that post. That´s why I picked it.

It shows Kira´s essence as a fighter who is vulnerable but unbreakable. As someone who fights his fate, even though he does no longer believe he can change it. It also took what I had introduced as an atmosphere to the prison and developed it into a much darker profound setting.

The dialogue was sharp and she did not try to raise her character above her limits.

It was pretty defining for the atmosphere of the whole game, I´d say.

But none of that was why I took it. Actually, without overdoing the praise, you can pick any of Claire´s posts and see this quality.

But I messed up as GM. Big time! My first great planned moment went *flush* downv the toilet. And she made it a great moment, anyway.

Darth Zorn was post-mortem beheaded. She was right. Couldn´t be alive. No way. I thought I could deceive her for a post or two into the idea I had really brought back my own dead, dead, dead character and her nemesis. But she looked through it and . . . did not use it against me as the GM at all. She took my failed opening-twist and made it her very successful character-introduction.
    Strictly staying in character she took it against the Sith (whose dialogue was provided by LordT, by the way, so thanks T) and made it a small victory of someone who lost already. Made it a triumph of a tortured prisoner. Against his overseers. And she didn´t even stop there. But she let´s her character go into a very, very dark euphoria, where she thinks she can probably get the Sith to do what she wants one more time.

And there my opening twist comes . . . not from me, but a player.

Because . . . what is her greatest wish? A fight? Escape? The force? Know how her friends are? No, she surprised us all, with having her trade-mark multi-award winning, heroic character Kira Romar . . . beg for her own DEATH!

It doesn´t get any more intense than this. Ripped out of context it is a fine post. Within´the game and the context of it´s predecessors . . . I remember how it gave me the creeps.

That´s why I picked it. Not because I thought it´s a sure win, Rachel ;) Well . . . not only because of that :p

10. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    @ Wiggins and LordT: Good points by the both of you. I know it is a little too late, but I'll open it up to all animated works on any television channel from the last 30 yrs. And I'll give it three more days, til 6/23/09. If I don't get any more by then, then that will be that and we shall move on.

And yay to discussion by everyone. I'm glad to see some agreement on my winners, and that my analysis was near the mark. I always worry when I judge things that I'm just reading it wrong. :p

The next prompt will be up sometime this evening. It'll be another character challenge.

-I_H

11. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Okay, someone gave me an idea. And I am just a daredevil. I´ll do it. I design a cartoon based game!

12. TheManinBlack

TheManinBlack Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2007
    Can I still make a game, or nay?

13. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Yah.... the 5th Challenge has been extended to the 23rd, so if you want in on the Cartoon Challenge, now is the time to do it.

Anyway, onwards and upwards!

[color=orangered][b][u]The Sixth Challenge[/u][/b][/color]

[b]*** Create a (sheet for a) non-Star Wars character that is tied somehow to the railroad***[/b]

[u]Game Design Judging Criteria[/u]

- Creativity
    - Realism
    - Biography
    - Spelling
    - Sheet Set Up and Items
    - Adherence to prompt
    - Attention to details
    - An old-timey feel

I know, I'm evil when it comes to these sort of things :p . I will give you some hints since the prompt is (would initially seem to be) so narrow.

First, think of people who work on the railroad. Conductors, Engineers, Rail Workers, Station Managers, Rail Barons, etc.

Then think of people that might rely on the railroad. Shopkeeps, farmers, buisnessmen, hobos, carpetbaggers, etc.

Then think of people who might just be affected by the railroad. People who own stuff by railroads, people who own lands the railroads want to go through, people whose businesses require the railroad for sustenance, etc.

There is no restrictions on time or place with this prompt, though I suspect the Age of Iron Horse will provide people with plenty of ideas.

Enjoy! One week as usual. Questions can be posted here or PMed or IMed to me. :)

-I_H

14. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    [face_laugh] I had immediately something in mind . . . probably not exactly what you´re looking for but . . . I´ll do it!

15. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004
    So how does one join in on this fun?

16. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Just submit an entry. All contests are open to everyone. :)

-I_H

17. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    Hmmm, I like the cartoon one going on at the moment, and I certainly know the cartoon I'd use is usable and allowed under the rules, but I've never GMed on the RPF before, save for a three minor periods of being a Co-gm, two of which games fell apart in about a month(not my fault!).

But given that I have until the 23rd of the month, I'll give it my best shot! :cool:

P.S. We turn in our entries via pm I'm assuming, yes?

18. NickLitYouAFlame

NickLitYouAFlame Jedi Master star 5

Feb 27, 2007
    How apparent does the character's relationship with the railroad have to be?

19. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Yes by PM and as apparent as possible

PM me or IM me with your idea and I'll let you know if its apparent enough. :)

-I_H

20. NickLitYouAFlame

NickLitYouAFlame Jedi Master star 5

Feb 27, 2007
    I don't have it, yet, I just wanted to make clear my guidelines.

21. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Well, Fin. First of all . . . nice colours! :D I think buidling scenes that are enjoyable and memorable is somthing all people must participate in in a game. Yeah, that bluff was cheap of ya. But let´s face it, bringing in back in any form gave me room to play. And I love to play. ;) I think you would do the same. If one loves the game, he can hardly escape the need to make it as good as possible.

Playing a game, really playing it, is like a relationship. You need to work to make it good!

Xan: Love your paper. I am ashamed I haven´t read it before. Congrats! Again1

22. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Well, Claire. Not everybody thinks so. Which is a shame.

I submitted my cartoon-game, now I´ll have to refine my railroad char. I must say this Summer Challenge begins to be a lot of fun.

23. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    On the Best Post challenge, I thought of and abandoned several posts, because I could not find either the ONE I was aiming for, or a good example, especially with GAW being so looooong!

Initially I was hunting up my political opponent in Hammer's Galactic Senate game, Lord Pullus, because I remembered his stuff as really making it seem like we really were arguing in politics, but on finding the thread, it seemed more like the string of exchanges between us was the full quality, rather than a single post of his, and I had to switch targets.

Then there was a perennial early one from Livi Wan in From Ryloth With Love; and so it went.

Ominous' General Torian on Ryloth; and any of pashatemur's Ursean creations from two years ago, were searched for, before LDU's entry went in because I was out of online time, and I had immediately OOC'ed how impressed I was with it.

*shrugs*

Dem's da breaks!

PS. Hammer, I just loved your treatise on GMing philosophy; always a great read.

24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I've been behind on this thread, so I thought I'd best post considering I'm mentioned so much. [face_blush]

If I'd been around, I would have grabbed one of Nick's posts from 128 ABY - The Force War, or one of Sarge's posts around the point Tenk lost an eye. :( They were wonderfully done posts. Nick and Sarge both had characters slowly losing their innocence, and while Sarge and Tenk were more able to do something about it, Nick and Ryu were simply trying to survive - and being hit by tragedy all the time.

128 ABY was centered around one concept - the Sith emerging. The Battle of Borosk, the Battle of Bastion, the epic on Hapes - they were all stories that came from the players. It was probably my least-plotted game in history. [face_laugh]

That being said, I'm really enjoying the analysis of 128 ABY and 41 ABY. I will admit that yes indeed, you do have incredible freedom in my games, but only as far as the plot allows. :p I do love how my games have gained the reputation of putting players through the wringer. [face_laugh]

I'm not that harsh a GM, am I? [face_laugh]

Fin, Rachel, and everyone else who analysed my games; thank you for the kind words. I blush daily, thanks to you guys. [face_blush] 128 ABY: Turning Point will probably be the high-point of my career.

Until September, right Winged? ;)

[face_skull]

25. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    I for one enjoy your games, at least the ones I've been in. Which strangely enough I think may be limited to 128ABY the Sith-Imperial War...

Pity we never got to see that bomb go off:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.