main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference The RPF's Colossal Banner Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Imperial_Hammer , Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Hear Ye, Hear Ye, Step Right Up and Try Your Luck!

Announcing to the public, a call for new banners!

Not that our current banners are all that bad.... in fact, Reynar did a wonderful job with them

But we think it?s time to add a little more to our banner library, get a little something new here.

So here we go...

[b][color=blue]Banners Saintheart and Myself Would Like to See Submissions For[/color][/b]

[b][link=http://boards.theforce.net/role_playing_forum/b10328/p1]Star Wars RPF[/link][/b]

Probably the easiest of the batch. Anything Star Warsy will do here. I personally prefer colorful banners over monochromatic ones. Tastefully or subtly working references of classic or current RPF games here will gain you submission points in this judge's eye.

[b][link=http://boards.theforce.net/non_star_wars_role_playing/b10755/p1]Non Star Wars RPF[/link][/b]

Throw together your prettiest bunch of franchised characters here, and you got yourself a NSWRPF banner. I am a little more particular when it comes to this banner, b/c there are already some traditions set by NP and Reynar here that I would like to maintain (for posterity's sake ;) ).

These being:
    - A pic of Christian Bale and/or David Bowie somewhere in the banner
    - A pic of Keira Knightley, preferably as Elizabeth Swann, somewhere in the banner
    - 42 being present somewhere in the banner
    - Use of some (lets say at least 3?) of the franchise currently being played in the NSWRPF in the banner (like D&D, Naruto, Justice League, Oz, Dune, WWII, etc.)

[b][link=http://boards.theforce.net/role_playing_resource/b10757/p1]Role Playing Resource[/link][/b]

Now this one is a tricky one. In the past, we've had franchise montage here, as well as a Superhero banner here. I personally prefer the former over the later. I would like to see something here that reflects what the RPR is about. Working together on RPGs and serving as a Comms for the RPF. Some ideas for this banner could be:

- Another montage banner like this one
    - A sort of academic background like Theed or the Jedi Library or books or something
    - A community montage, like images from RPF/NSWRPF franchises (and banners if you wish) past and present, as well as jokes and running gags (in the same vein as the NSWRPF's banner)
    - A sort of industrial, forge-ish/manufacturing background, with some sort of an "RPGs Made Here" message or something

And I'm sure there are others.

[b][u]And announcing new banners for this year...[/u][/b]

[b][link=http://boards.theforce.net/default.asp?cat=10083]The Landing[/link][/b]

So this is just the step down page from the main index. When people click on "Role Playing" as a category, it dumps them here to choose which board they want to go to. Fanfiction has their own special banner here, and by gum, I want one too...

I would like to see something combining the themes from all three forums here. I suppose you can chop off resource if you need to since it?s such a hard thing to theme, but definitely a blend of Star Wars and Non Star Wars. I'm thinking a title of "Role Playing" or "Role Playing Community" would be appropriate. I'd really like it to be nice, as this will be the first banner to greet people entering this part of the forums.

[b][link=http://boards.theforce.net/role_playing_resource/b10757/29363346/p1/?60]Awards Banner[/link][/b]

Another one that Fanfiction has that I want (gosh, I'm such a jealous guy, huh? :p ). We do awards four times a year, it would be nice to have something special to put up during awards season.

Now Fanfic has their's Oscar themed. Gold statues, red carpet, celebs. in their fancy duds. We can copy them, or we can focus on some other sorts of awards (like maybe Olympic Medals, or trophies, or something). I'm pretty open here. If it looks nice, and I get the idea that we're talking about awards, then your banner will probably be in contention.

[hr]
    [b][color=blue]Other Rules and Tips[/color][/b]

Since this is a JC thing as well, all banners must conform to board-wide rules as stated here:

[link=http://boa

2. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I think you need to amend that - Christian Bale and David Bowie must be present in some way, shape or form! :p

3. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Wasn't there some Norton character Reynar was raving about?

I never paid attention. [face_whistling]

Bah, fine, edited... :p

-I_H

4. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I'd like to point out that, IIRC, it was Zebra3 who did such a great job on this Resource banner.

5. Chukles38

Chukles38 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 10, 2005
    Hmmmm...... I can make a banner, but you'd be on your own for a style sheet. :p

6. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    I apologize, Hammer. I completely forgot that you asked me to work on a banner for the RPF, and associated forums.

7. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I might give this a whirl, just for the heck of it. :D

8. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Also, the NSWRPF banner must include the bloody smiley face from Watchmen.

9. SlevinKelevra

SlevinKelevra Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2008
    Ooh, it will be nice to see new banners around here. Good idea. I wish I had more time to work on some banners myself.

10. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
  11. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Enjoyable!

Your banner is entered into the first round, and judging will take place on the 6th of February. If you have no better competition, and if Saint likes it, you might have just got yourself a month of colors!

Guess we'll have to wait and see. ;)

Any way for you to get a Poofism in there? :)

-I_H

12. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    What is the deadline for the banners? I don't see it explicitly stated in the opening post, and I need to know which of the five banners to start on first. :p

13. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    So 2/6/09 is the first deadline, then 3/6/09, 4/6/09, etc.

Until we get all our banners. :)

-I_H

14. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Still don't understand. Is the deadline for Banner A February 6th, the deadline for Banner B March 6th, the deadline for Banner C April 6th, etc.? Or is the deadline for all the banners June 6th?

If it's the former, which banner falls under what deadline?

15. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    First banner would be the sixth of February, second the sixth of March, etcetera. As much as it makes sense to write the date DD/MM/YY, it's never done. Convention is to write the date MM/DD/YY...I think.

But that aside, the banner deadlines are on the sixth of each month following January.

16. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Wow...

I guess my post there just all makes sense in my mind. :p

All banners, whatever I have, will be up for judging every 6th until all positions are filled.

So yes, this makes doing them early and quickly a little advantageous, but I really don't think there will be a ton of competition for this.

And like I said, we won't accept bad banners just because they're there. If all we have is junky banners, no one wins.

Clear-er? :)

-I_H

17. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
  18. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Hmm. NSWRPF goes Darker And Edgier, huh? Interesting...

19. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
  20. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004
    Ooooh...

I like it!

21. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
  22. SlevinKelevra

SlevinKelevra Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2008
    http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/1345/nswrpfbannervz6.jpg

That one is a must. Having Tyler Durden in the forefront of the banner like that will be awesome. I can see activity going up just becuase he is such a bad***.

23. Chukles38

Jun 10, 2005
    First draft. Decided on something extremely simple....

Role Playing Resource

I may try to refine it some..... so any thoughts or suggestions would be great. Thanks.

24. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I have a suggestion, Chukles. Users whose computers are on a low resolution probably won't be able to see all of the text, so you might want to move "Role Playing Resource" and "It all starts here." over to the left. :)

25. Chukles38

Jun 10, 2005
    I was actually wondering about that. Thanks for the input though, I'll get that moved over ina bit. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.