main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Separatists vs. The Republic

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by MASTER-OF-EVIL, Apr 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MASTER-OF-EVIL

MASTER-OF-EVIL Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    "It is clear to me now that the Republic no longer functions." - Queen Amidala, Episode I

We know the Republic was corrupt, even before Palpatine came to power. In my opinion, Dooku had good intentions on cleansing the Republic, I think Dooku deserves a lot more respect than people give him. Dooku wanted to destroy the Sith, I think his intentions to cleanse the Republic were sincere. He even asked Obi-Wan to join him so they could destroy the Sith. That was all Dooku wanted, and if it meant teaming up with the Sith to do so, then he was willing to make that sacrifice. I think once the Republic fell, he would have at least made an attempt to destroy Sidious and vanqui####he Sith, but that's not the topic here.

What I'm getting at is I think the Republic needed to go, needed to be destroyed, and start all over again. I think towards the end of Episode III Senators will start to see that, but it will be too late. Anakin knew it in AOTC, and I think many more will come to this realization in Revenge of the Sith.

The Separatists under Dooku wanted a fresh start, a government that wasn't corrupt and dysfunctional. Is that so bad? Remember now, it is the Republic that strikes first against the Separatists, with really little to no reasoning. The Republic had no army, how do you govern such a huge amount of space and a vast amount of people with no army? It wasn't functioning, it was too big.

So, post your thoughts. Did the Republic need to go? Did this need to happen? Were the Separatists intentions really so bad? What side would you choose?

2. LowRyder

LowRyder Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2005
    I think you're on to something here , the republic was corrupt and needed to go. It was to corrupted ( the best proof of this is, the fact tht nute gunray is stil head of the Trade Federation eve after all he did) so they had to start over. I think the Empire without Palpetine & Vader would be alot better than the Republic. And I also agree with you that Dooku wanted to do the wright think,but Sidious used thisto twist Dooku and get him to the Dark Side.

3. majin_yami

majin_yami Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2004
    I always had Dooku down as a person who did the wrong things fro the right reasons. I also feel that the EU makes him out to be worse than he actually is.

4. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    You're right that the Republic was corrupt, and needed to be changed. But I don't think the CIS was the right party to do such a thing. I mean all the high council members are representitves of large corperations. That shows that the CIS was corrupt as well. What the Republic really needed was reform.

5. Qu_Klaani

Qu_Klaani Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    "Dooku wanted to destroy the Sith, I think his intentions to cleanse the Republic were sincere."

Yes, he wanted to cleanse the republic...because he wanted it replaced by his master's empire.

"The Separatists under Dooku wanted a fresh start, a government that wasn't corrupt and dysfunctional."

The people who signed up maybe, but the seperatist leadership was all about money (well, execpt for Grievous, he just hated the Jedi and the Republic.) Lets also remember that a large part of the coruption in the republic was caused by the Sith, which made the transition to Empire more accepted.

"Remember now, it is the Republic that strikes first against the Separatists, with really little to no reasoning"

The Republic attacked becase the seperatists were planning to invade the republic and overwhelm the Jedi. However their official reason was probably that the CIS started it by putting two jedi and a Senator to death, something that padme describes in the script as "an act of war."

6. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Dooku's reasoning behind the CIS might have been somewhat legitimate-- heck, how else are you going to manipulate the heads of several major, and wealthy, organizations to help your cause? One big, constant Mind Trick? I don't think so...-- but it was all a front for his own master's plans.

Dooku was a Sith, which was the big-- if a bit predictable-- surprise end to AotC. The whole movie paints the picture of Dooku being a "political idealist, not a murderer", who even after being shown in league with Jango Fett and in possession of the "bad guy" red lightsaber was still simply a leader of a just cause.

Then at the end we see that Dooku is actually Tyranus, a Dark Lord of the Sith whose master was Darth Sidious himself. We realize that the CIS's main intent is not to wipe clean a corrupt Republic and do the galaxy justice, but to bring power to the Sith and bring about the establishment of the Empire.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    I also feel that the EU makes him out to be worse than he actually is.

In the AOTC graphic novel comic when Dooku speaks to the Seps about free trade, etc. trying to get them to sign the treaty, he sounded like one of those real estate informercials to me. :D

8. RundownJedi

RundownJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 13, 2005
    I think this is one of the reasons anakin was the chosen one

To clense the republic and the Jedi..u know..and also the sith..

Anakin was meant to start everything over and clean

via Luke being able to love

Jedi that can love

9. TheForgottenJedi

TheForgottenJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2004
    The Republic was mainly corrupted by the workings of Palpatine. If he were taken out anytime before ROTS I think the Republic couldve recovered.
    So no I dont favour the Separatists over the Republic system.

10. MASTER-OF-EVIL

Nov 10, 2004
    And the Republic was getting outta hand and way too big for only politics to be able to rule. Force was needed to control a galaxy and force was also needed to end the corruption in the Old Republic's government. I belive that Dooku was trying to do something for the good of the galaxy but like all revolutionaries in history he was seen as a threat. I also belive that others will start to see that a new government is needed in order to end the corruption and the Jedi were just too stubborn and mindless to see it. In the new book, Labyrinth of Evil, the Jedi seem almost like the clones or even worse, droids because they take orders without question to blindly serve the Republic. One thing is loyalty but another thing is knowing that there is corruption and not doing anything about it. Anakin like Dooku has started to see and question the government and they are the ones with the right ideas, not the senators or Loyalists.

11. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    I belive that Dooku was trying to do something for the good of the galaxy but like all revolutionaries in history he was seen as a threat.

Did you see the end of AotC? You know, where "Dooku the revolutionary" turns out to be "Tyranus the Sith", in league with arguably the most evil man in the galaxy with the intention of wiping out the main peacekeeping organization in the galaxy and establishing a tyrannical Empire? :p

12. MASTER-OF-EVIL

Nov 10, 2004
    i know he was tyrannus but im just saying it in general thats all.

13. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    I think the Seperatists might have made a stronger government but keep in mind the entire friggin war was a master plan.

14. Adm_Thrawn

Adm_Thrawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 2004
    If Nute Gunray and the like were allowed to have established their own government, I can guarentee you that it would have been a "stronger" one.

The Trade Federation, the Techno Union, the Commerce Guild, and others all maintain droid armies for the sole purpose of killing people who didn't pay exuberant interest rates or whatever.

They exploited trillions of people, and killed anyone who resisted.

15. michaelbacca

michaelbacca Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2005
    I think that Dooku is misunderstood. He is basically a good guy, aside from that little Sith thing. Evil, however, is in the eye of the beholder. If Dooku thought that what h was doing was for the god of the galaxy, he is not really a bad guy. He just went about things the wrong way.

16. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Did the Republic need to go?

Certainly not.

Were the Separatists intentions really so bad?

Yes. The Republic's politicians we're corrupt, not the Republic in itself.

What side would you choose?

Whatever pays more.

17. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Did the Republic need to go?

No, only Palpatine needed to go

Did this need to happen?

Not at all if more people like Padme got into the Senate it could have easily recovered

Were the Separatists intentions really so bad?

Yes, they created Droid armies with the sole intention of getting power to take the Galaxy by force

What side would you choose?

The Republic easily

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.