main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The "So I met a celebrity" thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I did that at NYCC. She was indeed very nice, and she liked my rebel pilot hat.

2. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    We walked through the door at the same moment.

Me: Oh, I'm sorry.
    Him (whimsical German accent): Excuse me.

Actually, it was pretty surreal as an incident.

3. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I've met so many authors over the years, it's been fun. and I worked for the Dodgers in 1990. A lot of the celbs you guys have met, I've met at cons in Miami and Orlando.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I was in the same Barnes & Noble as Al Franken back in '05.

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I've met Gavin Peacock (ex football player), Darren Bent (back when he played for Charlton Athletic), Jimmy Jean-Louis, Shaun Dooley, Mickey Rooney & Danny Boyle (twice) while at work, also Warwick Davies but I'd met him at several conventions previously.
    I've met Bill Bailey, Damian Lewis & Steve Backshall while working at London Zoo.

I saw Sir Ian McKellen at a bar when I came out of a theatre production of Peter Pan that he had been in playing Captain Hook.

I've had conversations with numerous Star Wars actors/people associated with Lucasfilm outside of the normal official paid convention areas, usually when they were wandering around or came up to a table I was at.

6. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Met then Senator Obama at a campaign rally in 2008.

7. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    Stuff that counts:

Joe Montana at Sierra College in the 80s
    NKOTB. That's right, ****ers.
    Mike Starr (formerly of Alice in Chains) at a party.
    Eddie Vedder after one of Pearl Jam's first shows in Seattle.
    Marilyn Manson, backstage.
    Joel McHale after a taping of a local skit show.
    Detlef Schrempf twice: once at a bowling alley, then again at a work event.
    Jamie Lee Curtis at a work event.
    Chris Chelios and Matthieu Schneider outside of a restaurant in Vancouver, BC before a Red Wings game. Also met Mike Babcock, Dan Cleary and Dominik Hasek after stalking their hotel.
    Alan Wilder (formerly of Depeche Mode) at Sea-Tac baggage claim. He was on our flight.

And this happened:

[​IMG]

Jedi Merkurian and Kiki-Gonn like this.
  8. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Best random encounter at Celebration V:

[​IMG]

9. kainee

kainee Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2012
    I've met Mila Kunis and Adrien Grenier the one day I was on set as a volunteer gopher for an indie film they were doing. Mila Kunis smokes and I never spoke to her. Adrien Grenier seemed friendly since he nodded hello to me in passing but I didn't speak to either of them. That's about as close as I got to meeting a celebrity, unless I unknowingly passed by one.

10. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Ran into Lana Del Rey today near Union Square approximately one minute before a gaggle of teenagers swarmed over her. It's actually the second time I've met her; the first was before she was famous and "had work done" when she went by Lizzy Grant, met her at a college party.

11. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I'm currently experiencing my longest dry spell between celebrity sightings.

12. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    I volunteered at my local film festival last month and got to play crowd control for Ben Affleck, Daniel Day Lewis, Quentin Tarantino, Amy Adams, and Jennifer Lawrence. Amy Adams was definitely the nicest of the bunch, but the others were all polite (and Jennifer Lawrence was awkward.) Except Tarantino. He was a huge jerk.

I also got to sit next to the cast and crew of Sex after Kids during its premier (who are a bunch of no names unless you watch Canadian TV, and as I do, that was awesome.) Then I went out drinking with them afterwards which was even more awesome.

13. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Did he use the "n" word a lot?

14. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    The way the festival was set up, the celebs arrived in a limo into a corral of fences with a red carpet up to the theater door. Press and volunteers were inside the fences everyone else was outside. Fans would start lining the fences 2+ hours earlier in hopes of autographs/pictures/whatever. Jennifer Lawrence spent about 15 min signing, but didn't take any pictures. Ben Affleck waved and high fived a bunch of fans and generally just thanked them for coming out. Amy Adams spent around 40 min taking pictures, signing, etc etc.

Tarantino just walked in through the a side gate. He race walked up to the theater entrance and didn't even acknowledge anyone who had been waiting to see him. He did no press interviews (and gave no forewarning that he wasn't doing any of the red carpet/meet and greet stuff) and basically just acted like he'd rather be anywhere else but where he was. During his question and answer, he also stopped randomly and demanded a drink and then waited until it was brought to him.

15. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    He is becoming more and more of a tool with each movie.

TahiriVeilaSolo69 likes this.
  16. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Gene Wilder was at our show today with his grandkids. I was doing my best to not fangirl out.

17. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    That's awesome. He hasn't been looking too great lately.

[​IMG]

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  18. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Hmm, celebs I have met...

Michael Moore (twice)
    Bruce Campbell
    Billy Corgan (***hole)
    Dave King from Flogging Molly (got to go drinkin' with him at The Safe House in Milwaukee)
    Henry Rollins
    Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull
    William Forsythe
    Joe Buck (the musician, not the sports guy)
    Timothy Dolan (he's a long-shot contender to be the next pope)
    Martin Short
    Bernadette Peters

I think that's it.

19. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I sat at a table next to Ronny Turiaf today at lunch. He plays BBall for the clips.

20. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Any other Clippers with him?

21. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    He's looking quite old, but he seemed like he was having a great time.

[​IMG]

CloneUncleOwen likes this.
  22. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Wow. I miss his jewfro.

MrZAP likes this.
  23. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    I just want to hug him.

24. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Ugh I'm so jealous. Gene Wilder is one of my favorite actors. I'm still semi-holding out for one final comeback reunion with him and Mel Brooks. Because, well, a man can dream can't he?

I haven't met any celebrities at all outside of cons, which I've always been a bit irked about considering I live in L.A. It wouldn't bother me as much if so many people who lived in places that weren't the entertainment capital of the nation hadn't randomly met a whole bunch of celebrities/lots of friends had randomly met them. I suppose part of it is because I don't really get out much, and when I do it's not really anywhere that most of them would frequent (I expect).

My dad has met plenty of celebrities, of course, considering his work, including George Lucas and Weird Al Yankovic. Blah.

25. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    I met a few celebs throughout the years and I had some friends that play in NFL.

Most random meeting ive ever had was Dan Aykroyd at the legendary Soundfactory, a notorious NYC after hours club. It was like 6 in the morning when I met him, lets say he was slightly "TUNED" up. wink wink..

I also met Mr Carosi

[​IMG]