main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sac, CA The Summer Movie Predictions, Gripes, Kudos, Trash Talkin, Recomendations, and Film Fanatics Thread

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Deadpool, May 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deadpool

Deadpool Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Hey now I do recall you getting hit on last friday little one.

Maybe fridays are the day for the Rogues. who will it be next week?,,,,,ba ba baaaaa <dramtic music.

2. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    that is soooo wrong...and sooo does not count...he was old enough to be my father and three times my size.

3. Deadpool

Mar 22, 2002
    Isn't everyone three times your size? heh heh.

4. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
  5. Deadpool

Mar 22, 2002
    I want to see more reviews from the peeps who saw Potter.

I'm so bitter I'm too sick to go this weekend.

But I've been having a filmfest of my own. (it's hard to sleep so I've been watching movies in my sick haze)

Last night:
    Special Features Disc from LOTR: ROTK
    Zoolander
    X-Men 2
    Star Trek: Nemesis

Today (so far):
    Godzilla: GMK All out Monster Attack
    Sinbad (Cartoon, it's not half bad and Henry loves it)
    Monster Inc
    XXX (the Vin Diesel Movie you pervs)

later I'm thinking:

Saving Private Ryan.

Any suggestions??

Normally I watch Aliens when I'm sick (it's my sick film) but I only have it on VHS and the VCR in my bedroom is busted, so it's DVD only.

6. qui-gundi_15

qui-gundi_15 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    speaking of saving private ryan. sunday is the aniversary OF d-day

7. Lord_Darth_Vader

Lord_Darth_Vader Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 13, 2001
    Yep, and I just saw Harry Potter....... very disappointed is all I can say.

8. Deadpool

Mar 22, 2002
    "Yep, and I just saw Harry Potter....... very disappointed is all I can say. "

I hope you are kidding.

9. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    I was VERY disappointed in Harry Potter III as well... I had to fight to keep my eyes open as it was incredibly slow in parts, and where was the villain? What the heck were those kids running around on screen for 2 hours and 19 minutes for? Boring... even my kids didn't like it that much.

10. Lord_Darth_Vader

Jul 13, 2001
    MJF is sooooo right. They left out very key scenes! Several key scenes with Malfoy. The beginning!!! Sheeesh! I think Columbus should take back the reins and direct Harry Potter IIII

11. JoeSunrider

JoeSunrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2002
  12. Deadpool

Mar 22, 2002
    Wow..I've heard nothing but good things from some others I know.

I'm more worried about 4 since the guy directing it is...the same guy who made Mona Lisa Smile...but yet he did some work on the young Indy series.

O speaking of which anyone want to see Raiders of the Lost Ark in theaters again?

at the Brenden 16 in Vacaville they are showing some old school movies check it out:

Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Starts on Friday, Jul. 9

Goonies
    Starts on Friday, Jun. 11

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    Starts on Friday, Jun. 25

Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure
    Starts on Friday, Jul. 23

these are playing in the afternoon I think as part of thier kids summer movies.

13. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    Goonies and Bill and Ted!! Oh I am SO there!!!
    Those are some of my favorite 80's movies. I only hope they aren't charging $9.50 to see them.

14. Lord_Darth_Vader

Jul 13, 2001
    Well, as far as being close to the book, they were way off. The Firebolt was introduced in the wrong place and they left out some competition.

15. Deadpool

Mar 22, 2002
    Sickboy Filmfest Cont...
    Currently Showing:The Mosquito Coast. (Harrison at his insane best)

That doesn't sound too bad (about Potter 3), it's my fav of the series and it would be a tough book to make a film of, that book is more about Harry inner turmoil then about a bad guy. Makes me wonder how they can make Goblit of fire work, that book is long...far too long then it needed to be (not that I didn't enjoy every page of it), I hope they play up the angle that someone is trying to kill harry more to keep it interesting. I can't wait to see Mad Eye Moody he's one of the best characters.

16. Lord_Darth_Vader

Jul 13, 2001
    I agree Dead regarding Goblit of Fire. But I would be willing to sit for 3 hours if they make sure they get the key plot points in the movie.

17. JoeSunrider

Jul 6, 2002
    I'm a bit iffy about Goblet of Fire.

1) The director is the dude who directed "Mona Lisa Smile."

2) Alfonso Cuaron convinced him to make it one movie instead of two, like originally planned.

3) There's no way the movie can do the events of the book justice. PoA (the movie) seemed rushed and the book isn't as long as GoF.

GoF is my favorite book in the series, so I hope I'm wrong.

18. ShasaWaterwalker

ShasaWaterwalker Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Harry Potter... hmmm well I was a little disappointed, but I'm glad I went.

They diffentely left out many important scenes.
    As the books get longer... so should the movies..
    it would help if they didn't add the stupid silly scenes that arent' even in the book... and add the actual book scenes!!!!!

1 and 2 were much better. I did like how the end of the book was handled with Hermonie and Harry with the Timeturner.

I really hope Gobblet of Fire is directed much better. :(

They needed more scenes with Sirius.. :(

Still... like I said.. I'm glad I went.

19. Deadpool

Mar 22, 2002
    The thing I heard that disturbs me most is that they only show Sirus in dog form 1 time....uhhh that was a big part.

I might be seeing it tonight, so I'll get my two cents in later, but I'm expecting to still like it.

20. Lord_Darth_Vader

Jul 13, 2001
    Yeah, they missed a couple of opporunities to put Black in as dog form, but they didn't. Honestly, if you never read the book, you will love it. But if you did read the book, you will be surprised at what you "don't" see.

21. Deadpool

Mar 22, 2002
    could be worse Joel "Batkiller" Schmucker could have been the director.

You'd see close up butt shots of harry getting into his Quiddich gear and the new gear would have nipples on the chest plate.

Arnnnnnold would be Dumbledore.

"Potter you puny wizard get into my office."

22. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    LOL!! Arnold as Dumbledore?!? :oops:

23. JoeSunrider

Jul 6, 2002
    Nice joke about chest plates, Deadpool. I got it. ;)

See, what was great about Cuaron directing PoA was that he didn't want to make PoA: The Book. He set out to make PoA: The Movie. He did what translated well into a movie and left what makes a good book in the book. I personally thought he did a wonderful job, and I don't care what he took in or added, because he made a wonderful film. I love the books, but when I watch the movies I want to see good movies, not literal translations of the books.

I only wish they had left in Oliver Wood. :(

24. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    They left Oliver Wood out?!?!? :_|

I still want to see it, hopefully reading all these reviews hasn't made me jaded.

25. Lord_Darth_Vader

Jul 13, 2001
    so you're saying Joe that the second Quidditch match wouldn't have been necessary to the story with the interaction of Malfoy and Potter during that match? I think it has merrit towards the story and should have been added. I would have loved to see that one. Why not just call it another Harry Potter story besides PoA. More somethng like Sirius Comes Home to Hogwarts (at the end of the darn movie of course.)

But, besides all that, I am not impressed at all with Cuaron's method of directing. The beginning shots with Harry interacting with his Uncle were shakey at best. I got the feeling I was on duty with COPS and someone had a shoulder mounted camera filming a domestic violence call. I didn't like how Hagrid's house was on the side of a moutain this time around. And what's with all the flying through a clock view? Also, why are all the kids suddenly in Muggle clothing? The last two films we didn't see any of that. The least Cuaron could have done was keep the continuity of that part in line with the past two films. In the last two films, you don't see any of the other older kids walking around in jeans, sneakers and sweat shirts.

No scenes in Snape's class showing how Malfoy takes advantage of his injury.

And yes, it sucks he left out Oliver Wood.

But go see it Tionne.

I did like the time travel scene.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.