main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sac, CA The Summer Movie Predictions, Gripes, Kudos, Trash Talkin, Recomendations, and Film Fanatics Thread

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Deadpool, May 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeSunrider

JoeSunrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2002
    If I recall correctly, there were plenty of casual (I won't say Muggle because Ron wears them too) clothes in the first two movies. In fact, didn't the trio wear them when they went after Quirrell?

0wnz0red. :p

Also, the second Quidditch match was important... in the book. The movie told a complete, coherent story that was engaging and enjoyable. The movie never dragged or got off track.

Cuaron did a wonderful job directing, I think. The first scene with Harry and Uncle Vernon was great; it was supposed to be like a normal kid trying to... you know (I won't say, MJF will kill me) without getting caught... but instead it's a wizard doing magic. The camera shake added to the realism of the scene, I think.

Cuaron knows how to direct kids. Everyone gave their best performance of the series, and it was due to the little touches. Hermione slapping Harry's hand away from the Time Turner, the high-fives in the Boggart scene, the way they reacted to Buckbeak. I also think that Cuaron did a masterful job lining the movie with the angst that made the book so compelling.

I like the book. I like the movie. I didn't expect them to be the same, nor did I want them to be. I enjoy both for what they are.

2. Lord_Darth_Vader

Lord_Darth_Vader Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 13, 2001
    I still say this movie is off the mark and should have another title. I think you give Cuaron too much credit. I don't like his brand of directing. As for the first scene, I hope people who have weak stomachs have dramamine available, because it can appear very shaky. And as far as the clothing goes, it seems they were going for sex appeal rather than wizardry. But thats me

3. Kessel Runner

Kessel Runner Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 10, 1999
    Yep, and I just saw Harry Potter....... very disappointed is all I can say.

ARe you on CRACK!?!?!

That film was bloody brilliant. It's too bad Cuaron didn't do the first two, then they'd be better for rewathing. It was the best Potter film period, and possibly one of the best action adventure films of the past 15 years.

I LOVED IT!

4. Lord_Darth_Vader

Jul 13, 2001
    Dude, first off, do me a favior - never accuse me of being on crack - never done a controlled substance in my life, and do not want to be accused of it.

Second, I thought the movie didn't cover enough of the book, and no, I don't like Cuaron's work, but hey, last time I checked this was still America, and before these boards go completely communist, I have the luxury and right of having my own opinion.

Next time, lets just get John Woo to direct it and he can bring Hogwarts to the ground in multiple explosions!!!!!!!

As far as the book goes, I am of the crowd that says, if you're gonna bring a book like one from the Harry Potter series to life, you better create it close to the d*** book! Why the h*** make it if its not a case of bringing the book to life? Again, change the name.

BTW I can't believe how goo goo eyed everyone is over Cuaron

5. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. You know I'm just as anti-substance as you are.

For what it's worth I think to "shoot the book" is a mistake with the Potter books. There is simply too much detail. In an ideal world, this would be the way to do it, because so many minor things become important later, but if you do that, you're looking at a 4 or 5 hour film just for PoA, let alone GoF. The key is to adapt instead of translate. If you look at the story of PoA by itself, the things that were lost were things that are not important to this story. The film flew by for me. It's a testament to the quality of the Kloves script and the Cuaron direction. It felt as though you could have fit 2 or 3 PoA's into a single LOTR film and the first two LOTR's were only about 20-40 minutes longer.

I thought the texture of the film was great. The humor is much darker and more prolifent. I think that Gambon is a superior Dumbledore, and I had serious reservations about him going into the first viewing. I don't think that anyone could have played Lupin better than Thewlis did.

6. Lord_Darth_Vader

Jul 13, 2001
    Thewlis did an excellent job.

But again, I must hold my ground and say that too much was left out of the story. Why was the Firebolt introduced when it was? Because they didin't have the second Quidditch match.

Because they didn't use the original beginning, they couldn't use the original ending. That would have been awesome to see Uncle Vernon twitch with a twinge of fear about Harry's Godfather.

I would have greatly sat through 3 hours instead of sacrificing key parts of the story.

7. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    I re-read the book and just finished 3 days before my first viewing. I was anxiously awaiting the Firebolt scene. I completely forgot about it until it was introduced, I was engrossed the story that was being shown on film.

I understand your misgivings. I had many more on my first viewing. But by the third, I was thoroughly convinced this was the best Potter film to date....by a long shot.

8. Lord_Darth_Vader

Jul 13, 2001
    Not convinced myself yet, my friend. ;) I still miss the old Hogwarts ;)

9. Lord_Darth_Vader

Jul 13, 2001
    BTW KR, I Was teasing about the crack crack. ;) LOL I usually get accused of being on crack for never trying pot! ;) LOL

10. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Oh please, let's not get on the pot thread again *just came home to her hallway smelling like a bloody skunk farm*

I am making a point not to read PoA again until after I have seen the movies. I did this with the first two and was not disappointed as I couldn't really remember the order or details of what happened. I really am dying to do see the afternoon showing tomorrow so I can get the cheaper rate, but I am not sure if I will be able to as it is also the Animal Science end of year BBQ.

I also e-mailed the Esquire asking if they have any idea when they will be showing it.

11. Lord_Darth_Vader

Jul 13, 2001
    Tionne, as soon as finals are over, call the Police and tell them about your roomies. ;) Or, if you like, I could. I could say I have been in there and smelled the mary jane in there. ;)

NEW PIC OF THE WEEK ON THE WEB SITE!!!! Lets have some good captions people. Your chance to make fun of yours trully SVRF

12. Deadpool

Deadpool Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Ok I saw Harry Potter 3 last night.

I can agree with both sides on this one....but as a film I LOVED it, as a film from a book...some bad calls.

*Spoilers Ahead!! Cover your Eyes Hawkgirl!
    (Keep in mind this is from memory of reading the book a long while ago)

Stuff they left out I felt was important:

Lupin never tells Harry HOW he knows how to use the map...I kept waiting for it. wasn't the map made by Potter, Lupin, Black, and Pettigrew. (and the names were thier Animag names)

They only flash over the whole Anamagnus (sp?) thing, If memory serves Potter, Black, and Pettigrew all became "unregistered" AniMags because of thier friendship with Lupin...it's important to the other stories as well...with how long these books are they will be hardpressed to add that into those other stories...but maybe they will pull a "Pete Jackson" out of the hat and we'll be suprised later.

They never tell you so you never know Potter was a STAG!! which is why Harry's patronis was a STAG!! which is why harry thought his dad was on the other side of the lake.

The firebolt thing was not a big deal to me, sure it would have served the story if it was right but it would take too much screen time to explain why it could be a deadly gift...and not worth the cause. keep in in the end of the film...unless I can get more Quiddich in the film.

They only show Black as a dog 1 time before the ending (as people said before) that is a huge mistake, the book was great at showing you the dog and then making you think at one point Lupin is the villian. I love that about JK's writing and was sad not to see it.
    Edit: The only times you see Black as a dog is before the bus and then at the end. Maybe I missed the other times, but that's all I saw. (in case Joey's right, I could be wrong...it happens...from time to time.)

I couldn't even tell the added stuff much...so I guess I'm cool with that.

The stuff I loved about it:

It is an Amazing movie, the school never looked better, you get such a better idea of the sheer SIZE of the place and it looked for lack of a better word AWESOME.

Daniel's turn in this film is bloody brillant, I never for not one moment NOT believe he was..is... Harry Potter, that kids got some skill and I hope he can keep growing into it, and I hope he signs for all the films (come on WB make it happen you silly twits!! You made me sit thru Batman and Robin...you owe me!!)

Lupin was great, he played it with a kind of sullen charm of someone who always has his dark secret and is an outcast for it. I liked him in the role and look forward to seeing him again.

Sirus...man I wanted more time with this one. Oldman is a fine actor and I'd loved to have seen more.

Buckbeak was very well done and I loved it, I wish we'd seen more of Hagrid's class...but oh well.

The Fat Lady being played by Dawn French was great, She's one funny Lady, it's almost a shame they couldn't put her into a live person part.

The Bad:
    My suggestions:
    Dump that kid playing Draco, he looks like a twisted Culkin kid now, also he's not such a little wuss in the books.

The new Dumbledore...errr not fond of him.

The scene in which they discuss Black killing the potters....whoa that was some seriously bad acting.

"Hey Black killed the Potters"

"I know and did you know that he's Harry's godfather?"

"Hey did you hear they only found a finger?"

What the heck was this about? a cheap trick to bring the story up to speed that was very badly done is what. it was one of the few moments that brought me out of the film.

WHERE THE BLOODY HELL IS NEARLY HEADLESS NICK? In the deleted scenes I believe. Since you see the Headless hunt going on in different parts of the film. (see below)

End spoilers
    THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL:

It seemed to me that some scenes were cut short and the others were in fact missing not just left out...I got the feeling they did film the stuff left out, We can only hope they make a Fix on the Dvd and add it back in.

all in all I

13. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    *covers eyes for spoilers* I'll spoil myself for Ep 3, but not HP3. hahahah!

14. JoeSunrider

JoeSunrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2002
    Cuaron has said he believes the cast could stay on for all 7 movies. The studio, from what I hear, is now reluctant to cast someone else just because the trio is so recognizable.

About Deady's "bringing up to speed" comment... I feel if some of the extra "fluff" from the book was included in the film, most parts crucial to the story would have been like that.

They showed Black as a dog several times. Remember right before the Knight Bus?

I like the new Hogwarts except for the location of the Fat Lady. It's too out in the open. Ravenclaws and Slytherin were present when Harry said the password.

I like the Firebolt being introduced when it was. It sets up how later in the series Sirius does just about everything he can for Harry. He really cares about his friend's son and I thought him giving him the Firebolt was a better plot device than giving it to him earlier and everyone saying "OMG He's gonna KILL YOU!"

I thought it was not only the best Potter film but also one of the best films of the past few years. Sure beats the prequels.

15. Lord_Darth_Vader

Jul 13, 2001
    Is "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" as good as the first two films? Not quite. It doesn't have that sense of joyously leaping through a clockwork plot, and it needs to explain more than it should.

As far as the three actors goes, it is unsure they will still fit the parts due to "growing pain." Lets just hope that if the three are left in their characters that the makers don't reduce the Harry Potter films to just another CGI effects movie with no real innocence and plot points.

Also, be forwarned ye all. Harry Potter may be dying by the last book. So Joe, be warned that your hero Harry Potter might die in his last year of Hogwarts.

16. TionneHawk

Apr 28, 2002
    I dunno how much truth there is to that rumor LDV. There has been some debate over whether J.K. Rowling would kill off her main character.

For more dispelled rumors and fun visit www.jkrowling.com ;)

*mouse flies off the desk and lands on the floor* PEEVES!

:p

17. Lord_Darth_Vader

Jul 13, 2001
    True Tionne

But what's really sad is, is that rumor is gaining speed with alot more "high ups" than I would have guessed which is very disturbing.

I will personally go to the Warner Bros lot and burn the place down before they kill off Harry Potter. And then go to England for J.K's behind. ;)

Doesn't she know how many kids she would be hurting if she killed off Harry Potter

BTW Tionne, I will come there and pick it up, say around 1PM?

18. Deadpool

Mar 22, 2002
    Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling says that Alfonso Cuaron, who directed The Prisoner of Azkaban, inadvertently foreshadowed events that will happen in books six and seven, which she has yet to complete. (I wonder what that means...or is she trying to boost repeat ticket sales?)

JK may in fact do just that..kill Potter I mean. keep in mind one of them must die either Potter or Voldie.

But would he really be dead? Do you really think Order of the Phoenix is the last time you'll see Black?

I would not mind if Potter died for the right reason...and it would have to be good.

Moving off the potter topic

Opening This week:

Napoleon Dynamite:
    Love to see this, but time and money probably wont allow for it.

The Chronicles of Riddick:
    Oh yeah I'm seeing this one. just not sure when.

The Stepford Wives:
    Rental Dvd Based on a dream I had about the perfect wife.

Garfield: The Movie:
    Will be forced into tkaing Poolboy to see this, oh well I'd still rather see this than Catwoman.

discuss

19. Lord_Darth_Vader

Jul 13, 2001
    Hear hear on Garfield

Not too keen on seeing Catwoman without Batman.

Stepford Wives? Nawwwww I will wait until its on HBO

Riddick - never saw Pitch Black - so I will have to wait and see.

I know its not supposed to come out until November but did anyone see the trailer for the new animation feature directed by Robert Zemeckis? Its something like The North Pole Express. I swear I have never seen an animated character as close to real life as the one of Tom Hanks in this movie. An older Tom Hanks as the conductor who had a small double chin. The likeness was amazing.

20. Deadpool

Mar 22, 2002
    The Polar Express, oh yes I've seen that trailer a few dozens times thanks to Poolboy's love of trains.

Also I've read that book to him many times, just as I read it to my neice and newphew when they were kids.

should be neat to see it on the big screan...hope they don't much it up.

21. Lord_Darth_Vader

Jul 13, 2001
    Dude, the Likeness of Tom Hanks is awesome. I think this is the same team who did Shreck

22. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    The Polar Express, oh yes I've seen that trailer a few dozens times thanks to Poolboy's love of trains.

They did a big ol' promotion thing at the Chinese for this movie. I had to watch the trailer for 3 hours while in line. If I ever hear Tom Hanks say, "Get the blazes out of here!" again I'm gonna scream.

23. Lord_Darth_Vader

Jul 13, 2001
    LOL yeah but what did you think of the animation of Tom Hanks?

24. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    Frankly it annoyed me. Did Woody look like Tom Hanks? No. Because animation is not about recreating virtual versions of their voice actors. Plus, having every character look like Tom Hanks to boot.

25. Lord_Darth_Vader

Jul 13, 2001
    LOL True

I just thought it was a step forward for animation since they got Hanks right. Just think of the possbilities here. It could put stuntmen/women out of a job. ;) ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.