main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Tenth EUC Starfighter Draft: The New Pilot Order - Congratulations Talon_Kenobi

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Kyptastic, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I like the ladder system we have now but I did prefer 6 member teams myself. Backfields tend to be disproportionately important now.

2. adaml83

adaml83 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 8, 2004
    Depends on where you think the backfield begins really.

IMO if you have a solid backfield you should be able to go far. They don't need to be great, just good.

BTW I like the 8 man teams, it really tests your ability to effectively pick your team.

3. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    How about still picking 8, but only sending 6 out into individual battle, whilst all 8 take part in team battles - like the Jedi Draft is doing at the moment?

4. adaml83

Dec 8, 2004
    If that happened I don't think the 7th or 8th round picks (depending on the insanity of the FA round) would ever get used. If they're legitmately good enough to get picked the deserved to be used.

Now if you want to limit it to 6 rounds then you could force two wingpairs.

5. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    True, but they could add cohesion or battle meditation for a team.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hmm. That could be worth a shot.

You could use "strategist" picks for people that suck as pilots--like the other PT Jedi Masters. Hell, then we could finally add someone like Ackbar since he's technically a B-wing pilot... he'd be sucky for individuals but be good for teams.

7. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    I've always thought it would be interesting to have an admiral/strategist type that doesn't compete, but helps organise the pilots for team battles and provides tactical support during that battle. People like Ackbar, Bel Iblis, Dodonna, Thrawn, Pellaeon, Kre'fey, Tsavong Lah etc.

eg. Team Battle.

Luke Skywalker, Wedge Antilles, Tycho Celchu, Corran Horn, Asyr Sei'lar, Kell Tainer, Face Loran, Runt Ekwesh (Admiral Ackbar) vs. Darth Vader, Soontir Fel, Maarek Stele, Turr Phennir, Broak Vessery, Shira Brie, Kasan Moor, Lorrir (Grand Admiral Thrawn)

That way you could add strategy into the equation. Although it'd probably make you hate team battles more Jello :p

edit2. People like

Admiral Ackbar
    Garm bel Iblis
    Jan Dodonna
    Yoda
    Oppo Rancisis
    Madurrin
    Streen
    Traest Kre'fey
    Tsavong Lah
    Nek Bwu'atu
    Gilad Pelaeon
    Grand Admiral Thrawn
    Firmus Piett

That's 13, but you'd obviously want a few more to make for better choices for a team. Basically, you'd only be able to pick one, you can pick them at any time during the draft phase, and they help with strategy and coordination during team battles

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, in that case I worry about getting too away from piloting... strategists who are pilots kind of work, but a full-fledged thing might be odd to work out.

9. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i think it'd be worth giving a shot. after all, if it doens't work you have a draft that proves it.

the picking eight, but using six in the actual battles could be interesting.

if you really wante to make it more so, you could use them as part of a wingpair type deal.

:snoopy

10. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I like the draft the way it is- pick eight and send them all out to battle.

11. TypoCelchu

TypoCelchu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 1, 2005
    I was vocally against going to the eight pilot system, but seeing as that worked fairly well (although I do think that the last two pilots often prove useless), I say we just stick with that. No need to make this game any more complex than it is.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Fool, if you're going to judge, vote for 6 man teams!

:p

13. TypoCelchu

Feb 1, 2005
    In that case, I vote for three man teams.

14. adaml83

Dec 8, 2004
    Well Shalla did get a win from forfeits and drew some of the better pilots from teams. She was useful.

The thing is that several of the top notch pilots are capable tacticians already, I don't think adding a strategist figure would be all that helpful. Now tactics could be an additional category for teams criteria (I was doing my best for that with this SFD anyways) but outside of that I don't see much use for it.

It'd be something like having squad mascots. I'd probably pick Kettch, Sey would pick her laptop. Jello would pick Typo, etc.

15. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I'm really intrigued by the strategist idea, but I think we'd have to be creative concerning how we implemented it.

All I gotta say is that this new commish must be really amazing. I've heard some good things about him.

16. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    I know I'm brilliant, but do you really think it'd take two people to replace me :p

17. adaml83

Dec 8, 2004
    Could always lock you in a closet with a CD repeating Jello's greatest speeches.

18. New_York_Jedi

Mar 16, 2002
    I wouldn't say the last two pilots are useless. My team, for example, picked up Runt to make a very good trump in Kell + Runt, and also got Miko, which allowed me to pair him with Kyp so he could beat some guys he would normally just lose to.

19. TypoCelchu

Feb 1, 2005
    I meant on an individual level. Sure, they make for better trumps, but that gives you two guaranteed losses right off the bat. And considering the competitive field of GMs that we've developed over time, it has become harder and harder to successfully grab pilots to make that perfect trump. All in all, I have to say that I preferred the 6 pilot system, but perhaps a little variety will shake up the draft a little and get some new blood flowing.

20. adaml83

Dec 8, 2004
    Under normal circumstances yeah, those last two will lose many more times than they win. However there's the trumping issue (Face and Lara, etc. Miko's bait, fresh meat :p ) and then sometimes they can take advantages of trumps. Say someone double trumps your squad, they hit your 1 & 2 pilots and both of their trumps lose. If either hits your 7 or 8 pilot you just got an extra win that you probably wouldn't have gotten anyways.

The reason why I like the 8 pilot draft is that it IS more difficult to pick a good team from 1-8. I enjoy that challenge.

[edit] That and it seemed to suit my drafting style anyways. :p

21. Kyptsbeengamebanned

Kyptsbeengamebanned Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2006
    Well, even when it was 6 pilots per team, your last two pilots then would have been your worst two and then two guaranteed losses anyway. And because everyone is basically in the same boat, it doesn't really matter in the long run.

22. adaml83

Dec 8, 2004
    Well with 6, there was a faint chance that your 6 could beat their 1. Highly unlikely now, but it happened in the earlier EUC SFDs.

I still like 8. Now if we could only find more decent pilots.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    6 just seemed more focused imo.

24. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I like eight. It makes team building more of a challenge.

25. New_York_Jedi

Mar 16, 2002
    Yeah I really like eight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.