main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The TFN/FF Party Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Miana Kenobi, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrSkinnee

MrSkinnee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 25, 2002
    Part of the point of this was for people to relax, socialize and enjoy themselves, not to have a camera in their face and make them say something on the spot to appease the people who weren't there. It was already a lot of work, and to set up a roaming camera that can send a signal back to the computer for broadcast online, that would have been too much of a pain for what we had to work with. If the webcam wasn't enough, then people can actually come to the event next time and we'll put them on the A/V committee. I'm sorry, but it upsets me to hear people complain about the poor camera angle and the lighting considering how hard we worked to get that webcam operational. I was trying to appeal to the people who were actually there. That's why the lighting was as low as it was. More intimate. If you didn't like it, then I'm sorry, but you're lucky we were able to get it online at all. This was a party put on by people who don't really do this for a living, but we did the best we could, and it wasn't boring if you were there in person. Personally, I don't think we should have had the webcam at all. I think it got boring having that on the screen the whole time, but people wanted those of you who couldn't come to see it. Not to mention that the camera was aimed at the dance floor which had no one on it because they didn't want me playing music for people to dance to. They wanted it to be a socializing event.

I apologize if I upset anyone and I know I will get people who disagree with me, but in my opinion, if you weren't there, too bad.

2. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    =D==D==D=MrSkinnee.

[:D] (because I missed you there) [:D]

I actually thought the 'live feed' was kinda fun, especially watching the chat on the big screen - LOL!

You're never going to be able to appease everyone, but especially those who weren't there (nor contributed in any way before hand) have ANY right to kvetch.

As soon as the next Celebration is announced, THIS TIME I hope you folks can set up some form of 'supporting membership' even in advance of the party planning (and this is in no way shape or form a slight on the party or the organizers - This was an awesome event and will only get better next time. =D=

3. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I'm sure you mean well beezel, but let's keep this to people who were at the CV and the party. Our top priority is to make the experience as great as possible for the people who spent their time and money at the event. And for those who plan to do the same at CVI. Any sort of web things we may offer next time are much lower on the priority list.

4. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    How about a booth for comments. and how about roaming the camera to a different spot and then set it up. Those who don't want to be in it will just move. Think about it. if it is roving people can't avoid the camera. But if its stationary in different spots at different times it might be more enjoyable. You might get more then eight people to watch.

5. MattDoc

MattDoc Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2009
    Why so much stress about the webcam? I paid to go to the party to meet and hang out with people and have a good time. If I found out that I was paying for my ticket so that we could afford a better video setup so those who DIDN'T come to the party can enjoy it more...well, I doubt I'd be coming to any more parties.

If you want to see what's going on at the party so badly either a) pay for a ticket and come or b) wait until the next day and look at everyone's photos and videos.

6. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I think we can leave the discussion on the webcam. We've heard both sides of the story by now.

7. XJapanRoX

XJapanRoX Official Star Wars Artist star 2 VIP

Dec 5, 2004
    Not sure if any of my feedback will be considered helpful, as most of it's been beaten to death...but here goes!

What did you enjoy most?
    Meeting everyone, as well as circling up with people I had met earlier that day and the night before! I really think it was a great casual way to wind down from the hectic convention time, and to get some great dialogues going. I made a lot of friends at this shindig, and that was probably the coolest part for me!

What did you enjoy least?
    Actually, it was already mentioned in this or another thread, but the two drunkards outside the party (note: pink bra girl) were probably the only downer for me. I actually didn't mind the band! You know what they say, if it's too loud, you're probably too old.....o_O haha Kidding! Maybe they were a smidge too loud for the sake of mingling with people.

What do you think we should change?
    That ugly banner outside the front door. That artist stinks. :D ...But I hope he does your Celebration VI banner! hahaha

What do you think we should keep?
    Well, the staff, for starters! haha I think it was a huge success, and I hope the Fanforce/JC Forum staff members are extremely proud of themselves. They really provided a great memory for us. A million thanks again to Dajuan, Matt, Ben, and everyone else involved!

8. MattDoc

Dec 10, 2009
    So, this isn't exactly feedback about the party itself. I already did that above.

This is just a somewhat funny story about something I did the night of the party and I figured this was an ok place to share it.

As those of you who were there may or may not recall, I won the Gen. Madine signed Official Pix photo in the raffle. (awesome, I might add)

I carefully carried it around all night, trying not to spill anything on it or bend it while having fun at the party (as I had left my backpack in my room for the party).

Now, fast forward to the end of the party...everyone is heading out from the Wyndham. I'm walking down the looooong hallway towards the lobby and figure I'll hit the restroom before leaving. The challenge was what to do with my Madine photo. I wasn't about to just sit it on the wet counter. So, in one of the stalls, there was a stack of toilet paper rolls on the main paper dispenser. It looked pretty clean and dry so I slid the photo behind it to keep it upright, dry and wrinkle-free.

Fast forward again to me having just finished the 15-20 minute walk down I-Drive to my hotel. I was gonna call it a night. I got to my hotel room, kicked off my shoes, grabbed a beer to wind down the night and then it hit me....where was my Madine photo?

CRAP! I left it back in the restroom at the Wyndham!!!

Now what? Do I just say screw it and assume it's gone or ruined by now? Or do I try to go get it? At this point it was midnight, I was tired, I was tipsy, and I didn't really feel like another 30 minute walk up lovely I-drive.

Well, I went for it...all the way from La Quinta to Wyndham. Was the photo still there? Yep! Whew! So I grabbed it and made the walk back to my hotel.

The even funnier part, when I was making my way back to the Wyndham, I was moving at a pretty good pace. I was walking up towards a couple who was maybe in their 20s (not Star Wars people). The girl started walking faster but the guy didn't. I passed them both and he started yelling at her, "slow down! where are you going?!" I then heard her say that she was scared so she sped up. It seems that I looked like a bit menacing as I was tearing up I-Drive. Pretty sure that's the first time in my life I ever scared someone like that. I kinda liked it. :)

9. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Darth-Dogfish-Head Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    Very cool that the picture was still there! I thought you were going to say the ink came off from you walking back to the hotel or something like that.

10. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    I say let's start planning the next one now!

Maybe someone could start up a CIV TFN/FF Party Donation Fund thru Paypal or something? Just to start so by the time it comes around some of the expenses are already covered?

11. MattDoc

Dec 10, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.