main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official NFL Discussion Thread (Now Featuring Time's Person of the Year, Taylor Swift!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    That is why I put him in there. He's been to 3 Superbowls. The first one yes he was terrible but a win is a win. The 08 SB he was pretty darn good. 21 of 30 for 256 yards, one TD, and one INT. He had a passer rating of 93.2. The game winning drive was awesome(I know I'm a total homer). In 2010 he was 25/40 for 263 yards, 2 TDs and 2 interceptions. The first INT was a fluke, he got hit and it was a pick 6. For being down 21-3 early he brought them back to make it a game.

Plus I'm a Steeler fan so I'm totally bias.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    So if Brady wins his fourth ring in six Super Bowls this year, does that vault him above Bradshaw and Montana? Or does Spygate negate the first three somewhat?

3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Bob Griese was a bad Superbowl QB. Just look at his stats.

Also your Steeler bias is showing :p

My rankings:

Joe Montana
    Terry Bradshaw
    Tom Brady
    Kurt Warner
    Troy Aikman
    John Elway
    Roger Staubach
    Eli Manning
    Bart Starr
    Brett Favre/Peyton Manning

4. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i have no comment on that.

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    If we're just ranking Super Bowl performance, then yeah I think Eli deserves to be near the bottom of that top 10 or an honorable mention, just because of how insanely he's pulled his teams through. Definitely not for regular season play, though. And Peyton is just the opposite. Great in the regular season, but his one SB ring was owed in large part to his running backs. His own performance was just ok.

6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    If we're talking performances and not just wins, then Jim Kelly should be in that list. Not all of those losses were on his shoulders ('Far Right' anybody?), they probably don't make it too the Super Bowl, much less lose some heartbreakers if it's weren't for him most of those four years.

7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    It's breaking on ESPN right now that the Bears have hired former CFL HC Marc Trestman to be Lovie's successor.

8. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    If we're talking Super Bowl only performances you cannot forget Phil Simms. I believe he still owns the pass percentage record.

Point Given likes this.
  9. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    All-time QB rankings are for the most part futile and ridiculous.

There are too many other variables involved.

And even then someone will argue certain variables to "prove" their point, while completely ignoring other equally valid points because it weakens their argument.

"Brady has won 3 titles." How many has he won without Teddy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel, Rodney Harrison, Richard Seymore, Ty Law, etc...? And last I checked, that first Patriot Championship wouldn't have happened without a ridiculous tuck rule that the refs pulled out of their ass (Which I noticed Manning didn't get the benefit of this weekend), or Bledsoe winning that AFC Championship game. Selective amnesia always paints a rose-colored history.

"Montana has four titles." Well so did Bradshaw. By the way, Bart Starr has 5 titles but nobody wants to give that the credit it deserves because "Three of those were just pre-Super Bowl NFL titles... blah, blah, blah..."

Most of those 'elite' QB's wouldn't have had the success they've had without having a stout defense on their team as well. Some absolutely great QB's didn't have the benefit of that.

And you usually don't find great QB's without that particular team they played for having a great head coach. Without Bill Walsh, or Bill Belichick, Montana and Brady probably have no rings.

The championship only argument is ridiculous. There are too many other things involved.

10. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Chip Kelly is going to Philly after all.

EDIT: There must be sanctions about to hit Oregon. :p

Darth McClain and ma_petite like this.
  11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Or the Eagles threw a **** ton of money Kelly's way. Either way.

12. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Well, from what I understand, it was about how much control over the team Kelly would get and not really about the money. I'm thinking the Eagles ended up giving more control over to Kelly and that's what swayed things.

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well, it worked out for Reid for 14 years so... [face_dunno]

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  15. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Clearly, Chip Kelly has so enjoyed having Monte Kiffin coach a rival defense that he felt the need to keep that going.

16. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

If you really had no comment on it, you wouldn't have posted anything.

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  17. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
  18. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    it's an easy way to make sure that i keep getting updates in the thread. i have to comment in a thread every so often or it just stops for some reason. so *shrugs*

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't care if we take best available in the other rounds, but we had better take a QB at #1. I don't care if it's a reach, it's the most important position and we have literally no one. I want to see them get in at least two guys to compete for it.

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm sorry, but considering, this year, (and possibly next year's draft depending on which QBs decide to comeout then), it'll probably be a couple of years before KC gets to draft a franchise QB. They may have to settle for finding a servicable veteren in the meantime.

21. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    On the topic of best ever QBs, nobody ever mentions Otto Graham but he went to the championship game for EVERY YEAR of his career (10) and won seven of them. People claim 'oh the AAFL was rubbish' but the Browns went straight in and won the NFL championship. But nobody cares about Graham, he gets even less mentions than Starr.

DT421 likes this.
  22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    people like to talk about players they've actually seen play. it's not really that surprising. even unitas is only grudgingly brought into the conversation.

DT421 likes this.
  23. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm hoping they go after Alex Smith. I know you are super hung up on drafting a quarterback this year but they are all so mediocre. Geno Smith is just so average.

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, unless there's a surprise Russell Wilson or Tom Brady in the later rounds, I don't see this QB draft class being much in the way of memorable.

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Do both. It worked for Seattle. If Geno then surprises you and is the best guy, play him. I don't know why this is such a hard concept for a lot of fans to grasp, but we can and should try as many avenues as possible because it's the most important job on the team.