main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The validity of pro-administration viewpoints

Discussion in 'Communications' started by KnightWriter, Jan 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    [Right Said Fred] "I'm too sexy for these boards" [/Right Said Fred] :D

2. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    farraday, you easily fall into your own description.

3. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Or rent-a-cops. Or mall security guards. Or TA's. Or the HR's boyfriend or girlfriend.

4. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    those silly little ribbons are concealing Dr. Arkeville's hypno-chip mind control devices.

MeBeJedi, this is the thread where i created/defined the term 'Helpy Helper'. to be succinct, it was meant to describe extreme cases of people who act as if they are part of the administration and/or post overzealous blind devotion without even really knowing what the issue is.

edit: spelling is fun

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Let's leave that out, shall we MeBe?

6. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Not actually, I'm more like the disgruntled ex member of the neighborhood watch who secretly funnels drugs and guns to the kids to fund their rollerblading on the tennis court and similar criminal activities.

Or the (and I swear I'm not making this up) the boy scout parent who yells at kids for not wearing the proper pants because it's a disgrace to the uniform.

7. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I'm not sure what the point is in referencing a post made several days ago in a Senate thread that most people here probably haven't read.
    The point is you waste no time being critical of my use of the (now infamous) "roll eyes" sign of reserving comment...yet another VIP called farraday on it (in one of your boards) for using it FAR more frequently and without sufficient reason. Just hoping this is not the sign of a double standard?

Again, if MY use of the "roll eyes" is so offensive...why is farrady's abuse of them allowed? Half-hearted welcomes to the Senate do not change the double standards that exist Kimball Kinnison! But I hate to leave on such a harsh tone...so congrats on the engagement!

8. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Again, if MY use of the "roll eyes" is so offensive

My reference to your comment was poorly worded. It wasn't the "roll eyes" itself that I was concerned about, it was the overall comment. Labeling it what I did seemed the easiest way to describe the comment itself.

9. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    All this talk of emotioncons makes me miss Griffz [face_plain]

10. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998

Sarcastic Emoticon laughs and "rolleyes" are two e-abominations that should be destroyed.

Laughing at someone's point is not a valid discussion tactic.

UKS

11. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    farraday, I stand corrected. I like your description better. [face_laugh]

(Though I kinda pictured you as Bruce Dern in "The Burb's" [image=http://www.fast-rewind.com/burbs4.jpg] ;) )

12. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    it wasn't the dead of the night where America was concerned this happened about seven - eight in the morning where I live in Windsor Ontario and most some of the mods would've been awake by now. I still think that if Dagsy gave permission then Sape should retract the punishment and I know I'm speaking off Tangent cause this has nothing to do with the topic at all

13. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Sapient's post closed that issue for this thread, and I'd appreciate if we could stay on the main topic.

14. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    JediFalcon...
    "I still think that if Dagsy gave permission then Sape should retract the punishment and I know I'm speaking off Tangent cause this has nothing to do with the topic at all."

The administration has no imperative to honor the actions resulting from a moderator who is not acting with (or acting contrary to) the authority of the administration in what they may tell a user.

15. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    who said he had to tell me about the incident when I was there posting at the time? I even have the source code saved and hosted on my website because I found it amusing

Edit: I'm able to tell you the time, though it was dead of the night where DA and Dagsy live it wasn't dead of the night where I live.

I gave DA permission to change his colours for a short time, provided he stuck to some strong rules. Which he did That was in Dagys post this morning on page seven answering my question so you can't assume to much

16. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Off topic.

I'll start editing posts if it continues.

17. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    ok

Sape: I see no problem with people saying they want to be a mod. Anyone who took the position wanted to be a mod. We don't promote people who don't want to be mods. All mods are helpy-helpers and they all had to start somewhere and do things that got them noticed. So we shouldn't forget where we came from but we can't allow wrong information and over-the-top campaigning to be the norm either. you were a happy helper? and I guess your right we have to start somewhere. I'm glad you don't hold something like that against others. Though your right about the last paragraph. Over the top the campaigning can be a pain. Its like they're demanding to be recognized

edit or is that last sentence meaning something else?

18. jediknight88

jediknight88 Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Ok for one I am deffinatly Pro-Administration.

I always have been.

Not that I always agree with what the Administration does or says, but they set the rules and expect them to be followed. They do what they do with the best intention and for the overall good of the boards.

But Does that make me a "Yes Boy" or a "Mod Suck up"?

I don?t think so, as it is not only the Mods and Admin that make the boards a fun and enjoyable place to be. And they are not the only ones that care about the boards. It is us, the users and members that need to ensure that the boards are a better place to be as well.

Yes the Mods and Admin enforce the laws and rules and do their job, but without those who truly want the boards to be a better place, what can the Mods do?

If people don?t make the difference and make the boards better, then how can they get better? One of the things that has to be understood is that the rules and regulations must be followed. They are not there just to look pretty.

And as always rules will be followed and rules will be broken. As is with everything.

Also members say that people should lighten up and not take the boards to strictly. Well I ask those who say that, why do you think they are being strict? are you trying to cover up the fact that you might have gotten in trouble or actually offended another user?

I say the same thing I say to other members on other sites and forums.

If you do not like the rules or don?t like how a site is run. There is no-one telling you to stay. If you don?t like the fact that someone supports the administration, then you don?t. It doesn?t give anyone the right to degrade someone or make fun of them. It's there choice to support the Admin and theirs alone, regardless of the reasons.

What gets me the most is that people have nothing better to do with their time other than to make fun of someone for something like supporting the Administration. If they only took all that time to write and degrade, and instead put it towards greeting and becoming friends with a new member or trying to stop all the senseless flaming in the YJCC, they would actually be contributing to a better forum and better site.

You don?t have to like the Mods, you don?t have to like the members that agree with some of the things they say or do. You don?t have to stay either.

19. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    I see I have taught my little protege well in my major of flamming and spamming. Wonderfully said jk I am proud to had you as a student :)

though you missed one little detail,

We either agree with them on the subject because we can see their point of view or we don't share the same point of view.

20. Sam_Skywalker

Sam_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I see I have taught my little protege well in my major of flamming and spamming. Wonderfully said jk I am proud to had you as a student

A)There was no flaming in that post
    B)It wasn't spam
    C)Your post could be seen as baiting

I agree with what JK said.

21. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    jk...
    "Also members say that people should lighten up and not take the boards to strictly. Well I ask those who say that, why do you think they are being strict? are you trying to cover up the fact that you might have gotten in trouble or actually offended another user?"

It's a fairly common attack to "lighten up, plz." But, that's a fallacious attack. This message board ought to be taken as what it is, and dealt with accordingly by mods and users alike as what it is. No more, no less.

In the grand scheme of things, nothing here will cure cancer or start WWIII. It won't catch bin Laden or contribute to world peace. It won't create a car that's powered by water or hydrogen. It won't create a base on Mars. It won't cause the end of the world.

What it is is a site that has inspired untold numbers of people to spend untold amounts of time to register over 124,746 screennames and create over 13,472,550 posts over more than a five year period.

And I suppose what all that means is that it is oftentimes more than and less than what it is actually being presented as.

22. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    I wasn't baiting jk he really was my student if you don't believe me ask him

Edit: Maybe I should make that into a lesson in my major, he was a wonderful student to have.

23. jediknight88

jediknight88 Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    "It's a fairly common attack to "lighten up, plz." But, that's a fallacious attack. This message board ought to be taken as what it is, and dealt with accordingly by mods and users alike as what it is. No more, no less.

But most users only say this after someone has asked them to stop an action that has offended someone or have broken the rules and are introuble with admin.

In the grand scheme of things, nothing here will cure cancer or start WWIII. It won't catch bin Laden or contribute to world peace. It won't create a car that's powered by water or hydrogen. It won't create a base on Mars. It won't cause the end of the world.

What it is is a site that has inspired untold numbers of people to spend untold amounts of time to register over 124,746 screennames and create over 13,472,550 posts over more than a five year period.

Your right, it won't. Nut one thing you might be over looking. That many members of this board have met and are friends, and actually like being on this board. I for one think this site is more than just numbers, it is a place that has brought many together by a shared interest. Because everymember in some way or another likes SW. A place where you should be able "Should Be" to talk about topics and not get attacked or judged for you opinions.

But I am not everyone and I cant tell you what everyone thinks of this site. Some like it for reasons that others dont. Just remember that this site might mean more to others than it means to you.

24. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    But most users only say this after someone has asked them to stop an action that has offended someone or have broken the rules and are introuble with admin. as you pointed out most users but not all would agree with that statement, sometimes it would come from just simple observation of the incident in question and not from being involved. remember that my former student, that not all as it seems in the first place ;)

25. Vader Fett

Vader Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    *stares blankly*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.