main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The validity of pro-administration viewpoints

Discussion in 'Communications' started by KnightWriter, Jan 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    In a post a few days before, KNIGHTWRITER was told the following

One of the things I've noticed (as a CR and now RSA) is that many people feel that if they voice any disagreement with a Mod...that they'll find themselves a target for constant "warnings" and "banishment."

To which KnightWriter replied

Constructive criticism from any viewpoint is not going to result in a warning or ban. If you can provide an example of this happening, please do. I'd be interested in seeing it.

I want to follow it up with the following, which was also asked of KnightWriter

And there are Mods who are less inclined to take action against someone who typically is in line with their own views...like that user is some kind of saint!

To which KnightWriter asked
    Can you provide some examples of this?

We all have our biases, but what counts is whether or not we let them affect our judgment.

Well, I can think of one. First off, we are talking about 2 years ago, and I am not sure if you were a moderator back then, but one of the reasons I took a hiatus from the boards when I left in April 02 and came back in november of 2002 (albiet, it was to gloat on the 2002 Elections), was because one of the moderators of the time, one KESSELRUNNER was specifically banning me for 'trumping' his arguments.

For example, we were having a discussion on Bi-Lingual education. He posted some very, VERY faulty information. I came back with something that irrefutable thrashed his claims that was well in part of a legitimate debate. He at first kept deleting my posts , and then said I had not come up with anything. I posted it again and he deleted it and warned me. I was not going to be disuaded from something that was well a part of the debate and posted it again anyway, which he responded by banning me.

2. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    TribleB: For example, we were having a discussion on Bi-Lingual education. He posted some very, VERY faulty information. I came back with something that irrefutable thrashed his claims that was well in part of a legitimate debate. He at first kept deleting my posts , and then said I had not come up with anything. I posted it again and he deleted it and warned me. I was not going to be disuaded from something that was well a part of the debate and posted it again anyway, which he responded by banning me.

If it were me I would've reported the incident the first time it happened. At the time you should've taken action against the mod and report his behaviour to the head of administration. That type of behavior is unacceptable

3. Kessel Runner

Kessel Runner Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 10, 1999
    And for the record it is also inaccurate. The posts that were edited and any bannings that were issued were done so because of inflammatory language. Even if you address the question at hand, if you continue with language that is derogatory to people with opposing viewpoints, then you have crossed a line, and when this is repeated after warnings, then it is a bannable offense...or at least it was when I was still willing to devote time to being a mod.

4. TripleB

Oct 28, 2000
    KesselRUnner said

And for the record it is also inaccurate. The posts that were edited and any bannings that were issued were done so because of inflammatory language. Even if you address the question at hand, if you continue with language that is derogatory to people with opposing viewpoints, then you have crossed a line, and when this is repeated after warnings, then it is a bannable offense...or at least it was when I was still willing to devote time to being a mod.

No, this was totally different. The times where i was banned for calling someone "stupid" or whatever else if it was deemed 'flaming' I took all well in stride and and accept those bans.

It was sometime in February 2002, give or take a month. and unfortunately, I have not been able to find the particular thread, or at least did not have the patience to go back that far in finding them.

But you warned me twice when I posted an article that specifically trumped what you were trying to claim. At first the post had been deleted which puzzled me because I was certain I had posted it, so I posted it again. You edited it or deleted it and flat out told me not to post it again. I was not going to stop because it was an official finding from the LA TImes which directly refuted what you had been trying to push in the debate. So I went ahead and posted it again. THere was no profanity or 'flaming' in teh thread, save that I made it clear in my commentary that it blew what Kessel was trying to claim out of the water, which is well within fair bounds of a debate on public policy.

ANd lo and behold, I believe you banned me around the same time for trumping you on the Bi-lingual education thread.

Now, if you had only banned me for something else I had done in some other threads (and I will gladly concede that I am sure there was something on some thread somewhere that might have been a bannable offense) and left my post stand in that particular debate stand, that would have been one thing.

But lo and behold when I came back, the post was gone again, which I took as you not liking to lose a debate and did not like me 'trumping you' in that particular debate.

Jedi Falcon said

If it were me I would've reported the incident the first time it happened. At the time you should've taken action against the mod and report his behaviour to the head of administration. That type of behavior is unacceptable

At that particular point of time, I really can't recall whom the moderators were, I don't believe back then that the Boards had the 'clear thing' on who was moderator of what and at the time, did not see any real recourse at the time. I knew that Chyren was a moderator, KesselRunner, but other then that, I really had no idea whom the mod's were or that there was any 'appeal process' like I know now. Back then, I was only aware of a very few boards and had hardly ever posted outside the Senate, Jedi COmmunity and a few of the Movie boards.

Add to it that there were plenty of other things for me to do anyway, like concentrating on finishing my degree and I was wasting way too much time on the boards at the time when I should have been studying and I was willing to go on hiatus anyway.

5. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    At that particular point of time, I really can't recall whom the moderators were, I don't believe back then that the Boards had the 'clear thing' on who was moderator of what and at the time, did not see any real recourse at the time. I knew that Chyren was a moderator, KesselRunner, but other then that, I really had no idea whom the mod's were or that there was any 'appeal process' like I know now.

I found six mods within the first month I joined, that was Feb 2002 they were clearly marked then and they're clearly marked now. Are you telling me a newbie could locate mods faster then a midbie? I find that really hard to believe [face_plain]

Edit: But then again lets give you the shadow of doubt. Why would you be bringing this up now and not then?

6. TripleB

Oct 28, 2000
    Jedi Falcon said

I found six mods within the first month I joined, that was Feb 2002 they were clearly marked then and they're clearly marked now. Are you telling me a newbie could locate mods faster then a midbie? I find that really hard to believe

It was more a matter of convienience. As I recall, sure I was aware of NathanDahlian or GeneralMadinesHairpiece as other moderators. BUt it is not as much of a matter of knowing there were moderators as it was 'total awareness' and back then I had a very narrow skew of the boards. I really was only really aware of the JCC, Senate, and some of the movie boards and that was it.

Edit: But then again lets give you the shadow of doubt. Why would you be bringing this up now and not then?

THe main reason is that KesselRunner had been on hiatus from these boards for a while, and has recently returned to the boards in the last few days. So when I saw him back on the boards, I could not help but recall this whole incident, and when I checked this thread earlier to see how KnightWriter had to say about something, and opened the door to this, I pondered whether I should bring it up at all, but for the sakes of having the discussion, brought it up anyway.

Also, back then, I was not just aware of 'whom' I would go to with this sort of thing. NOw that i know of the ADMIN boards and now that I know more whom the other moderators are, I would have recourses now.

FOr the record, it has been nearly two years since this went down and it is possible my memory is hazier albeit I am usually quite good at these sort of memory's but will leave it at that.

7. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    And to be honest I don't remember the specific details of this event. I do remember debating Bi-Lingual education (and as an addendum, I have been a substitute teacher in LA since then), but frankly, I almost died less than 6 months ago, and was in the hospital for over 3 months. Alot of things are sort of hazy for me these days.

8. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    alright TripleB just relax. I can see your points now. But to be honest this was two years ago, and the thread is most likely gone, so to be honest you might as well forget it ever happened. Just let it go, start fresh on the boards and help focus on the problems we are facing now and stop dwindling over the past. Its not good for the soul.

Kessel, sorry to hear you almost died :( that must be terrible at what your going through *hugs*

9. TripleB

Oct 28, 2000
    Well, LIke I said, I am not going to make THAT big a deal over something that happened over two years ago. I only brought it up because KnightWriter had asked the question and at the very same day, I noted that KesselRUnner had returned which brought back the recollection of the incident, where the truth probably lies somewhere in between.

And like I said, I am glad to hear you are recovering...yikes a 15 pound cysts removed!!!!! I can't even imagine that!!! I hope you recover safely. And like I said...KOTOR is the magic healing ingredient.

10. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    just wondering what is KOTOR?

11. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    just wondering what is KOTOR?

I believe it stands for Knights of the Old Republic, a video game for X-BOX.

12. TripleB

Oct 28, 2000
    And for reasons I can't explain, it seems that ever since this game was released, and many of the biggest arch rivals on the Senate Board all started playing this masterpiece of a game about the same time.....

ANd for reasons I can't describe, the Senate Boards have been in an era of peace and prosperity ever since. One of the most left wing members of these boards and myself (one of the most right-wing members of these boards) have ended all our problems as we continue to explore this game and find all sorts of new ways to play the game.

It is everything that I always dreamed that the SW Prequel trilogy would be. It was everything that Episodes 1 and 2 were not, everything Episode 3 won't be.

13. Kessel Runner

Apr 10, 1999
    Trips, I was playing KOTOR religiously before I got sick. But then my ex-fiance took the xbox and all the games when she left me, so I had to go and buy a new xbox and new copy of KOTOR. I eventually beat it after about 93 hours playing. I love the game and plan on returning to it to play with a different personality soon.

14. TripleB

Oct 28, 2000
    93 hours playing it how many different ways or 93 hours of straight playing in one game before finishing the game? I thought I took my time and was slow my first run thru which lasted me a good 40+ hours.

15. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Interesting conversation, but this isn't the Games forum. Feel free to go there to continue, or take it up via PM :).

16. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Heh. I'm amazed by the number of people who consider KOTOR to be the greatest Star Wars story since 1981. :p

I wonder what those people will do if they discover that Bioware has made a couple of even better games, namely Baldur's Gate II and Planescape: Torment. ?[face_plain] ;)

17. TripleB

Oct 28, 2000
    Raven said

Heh. I'm amazed by the number of people who consider KOTOR to be the greatest Star Wars story since 1981.

Have you experience KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC yet? It is not a coincidence that ideological opposites like myself, Obi-Wan McCartney and others all think what we think about this masterpiece of a game.

I could continue but I know KNIGHTWRITER has warned me in the past on the Senate board about derailing threads into discussions about KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC several times ( I can think of at least 5 threads where I have done that).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.