main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by RX_Sith, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Not if you were rooting for Sweden. :_|

2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Oh hush, you crybaby, you've already got the Olympic gold from Torino... :p Whereas we never got further than quarterfinals at the Olympics - give us a chance to win a medal, too! ;)

3. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Since I've never been afraid of dating myself before, thought I would mention that I saw the father of Zach Parise, who scored both goals for the US last night, play in the NHL (NY Islanders), live and in person no less.

Yes, I am old.

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    So what are the match-ups now?

5. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    THere was a rousing rendition of "O Canada" in the bar after that game.

Bring on Slovakia.

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    The Russians surprised me; they weren't too good. I suspect the Slovakians (who beat them) will be better.

7. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Canada wins the women's hockey gold. US holds on to the overall medal lead, though, now with 31 to Germany's 26.

8. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Too bad the US women's hockey team didn't do better, hopefully the men will get the gold. And if the US gets just 4 more medals we will have broken our record for medals won at any winter olympics. :D

9. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Wow, that was a great game.

10. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Nordic combined for USA anyone?

11. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    That should help the sport's popularity in N. A.

Of course, it could be because the Russians are supposedly no longer doping.

12. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Oh, the Russians are still doping (and so is everyone else). It's just that the Russians are getting caught. That's biathalon and X-C though, they aren't very good at combined. Felt a bit bad for Spillane, though, might have had a chance if he hadn't slipped on the turn towards the end, allowing the Austrian to get past, so that he was in a bad position when Demong attacked.

Good showing by Mancuso in the second run of the GS yesterday, moved all the way up to 8th with a great run. Really would have had a shot at gold if she hadn't gotten screwed over in the first run.

13. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    It really was a tough break for Mancuso... hate to see any athlete have things taken out of their control like that. Same goes for the Dutch speedskater whose coach sent him into the wrong lane and got him DQed.

14. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Since the S. Koreans will cheat at the drop of a hat (see boxing in the Summer Games), does anyone else have uneasy feelings about their speed skaters?

15. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Yep, I feel bad for Sven (the Dutchman) and Mancuso. Cris Collinsworth actually had a half-decent feature about this a couple days ago. I guess in the 1972 Munich Games, an American track coach gave the wrong preliminary race times to two sprinters who probably would have made the finals. :oops:

16. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    It's a crap-shoot. I wouldn't want to depend on skating rules in the speed skating...

17. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    US hockey team obliterating Finland in the semifinal, 6-0 after the first period.

18. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    What's even more amazing is that those 6 goals came in a span of 6:24. [face_flag]

19. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    That is pretty amazing. 6-1, final [face_flag]

20. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Fixed. :-B

21. MasterMonkey13

MasterMonkey13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 19, 2008
    I am totally looking forward to the men's hockey finals!!

22. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I just this...silver medal for the US women in hockey is definitley something they should be proud off. Sure, it would have been nice to get the gold, but the US improved on their bronze medal in Turin (I refuse to call it Turino...we don't say München, Germany. Just because it sounds better doesn't make it right :mad: [/rant]) and lost to the three time defending champion. A good showing by any definition, I'd say.

Anyways, I'm really excited for Canada-Slovakia tonight. I caught the tail end of USA-Finland, and that was fun. Too bad Tim Thomas didn't keep the shutout, but still a great showing for Team USA.

23. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Ohno practically had to hurdle two other skaters in the quarterfinal :p

EDIT: but later gets disqualified in the final :(

24. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    OHNO! You know they will call that, dumb to put his hand on the Trembley's hip like that.

25. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, I was expecting them to call the DQ on it even before the announcers said anything. It didn't look like he actually pushed, but the hand just being there was enough.

EDIT: huh, they just showed a replay of it and given what Ohno was DQed for, they could have easily DQed the Canadian who won gold as well. o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.