main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The WELCOME TO FAN DESIGN Social Thread: Just Who in the Heck Are You?

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Design - Sites and Graphics' started by Brandon Rhea, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Jaden1138

Jaden1138 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    Nice to meet you. I like to make those sorts of things as well. I have paint.NET which is scaled down PS. I cannot afford it and am not about to steal it.

My goal is to be a rotoartist or work in digital art in motion pictures. ILM has a Padawan program for people in school. I have to actually go back to school. Hahaha!

2. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    I completely agree that feedback is an invaluable asset when you're creating artistic work. I like feedback that helps me refine what I've been working on. I tend to be my own harshest critic. I can't tell you how many times I've trashed what I was working on so I could start over.

[face_laugh]

Last time I made banners and icons for the JC I was using Geocities as my host page. Can't believe how long ago that was.

3. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    I too am a perfectionist. I have to love it or I do not finish it.

4. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I have a bad habit of critiquing something after I've completed it. I'll stare at it constantly and notice little things that nobody else would probably ever see or acknowledge.

5. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    The trick is to not tell other people the little faults that only the creator of the work (you!) will notice when you show them. Be proud of your work, never apologise.

Welcome Fallen-Hero! You mentioned banners and a few things that you like creating; have you created any such things for these forums? :D

6. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    The problem isn't telling other people about the little quirks in my work. It's my own OCD. Just knowing is bad enough.

[face_laugh]

7. Fallen-Hero

Fallen-Hero Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 5, 2009
    Tyi (do you have a shorter name?), no I haven't made anything for the forums. I've just joined, and last time I was part of the boards, well, I had Corel and Kodak Photostudio. No need to tell you that I had little interest in trying to understand how those programs were working and how they weren't very pretty to look at compare to what I make now. I do, however, occasionally update a LJ with a few made icons. That is, when I remember to update it...

I can't tell you how many times I've trashed what I was working on so I could start over.

Same here, so I completly understand Salty!

8. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    The only banner I've ever made for the JC was when the Amphitheatre first opened. It didn't get uploaded but I thought it was really well done. Ironically enough, it's pretty similar to what the Amphitheatre is using right now. It took me forever to master that stupid curve and the lining up of the two banners.

9. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Sorry, Fallen, I hadn't seen your reg date when I asked the question before. Whoops! But if you ever want to give it a crack in the future you've come to the right place, we can help out. And yep, Tyi is the name, that's what everybody calls me. I dare you to pronounce my full username! :p

Salty, do you still have that Amph banner? I'm curious. :D :p

10. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I need to hunt for it. Hopefully I can find it somewhere.

11. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Let us know if you do. :D

So has anybody else noticed the board-wide announcement lately? "JC Announcement: Visit the all-new Fan Design - Sites & Graphics forum and win fabulous prizes!*"

Where's the prizes? 8-}

12. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    And WHAT does that asterick (*) mean at the end of it? Hmmmm....

13. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    It's the question of the ages, isn't it . . .

:p

14. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Grimby and bac's undying love for about 30 seconds? :p

15. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    It is supposed to lead us to the bottom of the page that says in really tiny print:

16. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Great eye, Jaden. I heartily agree with you and think that must be the meaning of it. Yes yes.

17. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    I married a wannabe comedian who taught me everything I know. He is very observant and is great at making fun of anything. Like death. He makes fun of it and makes people feel better about it when someone dies...not personal but famous people. It is actually his coping mechanism ut he really made me laugh when MJ died. He was trying to cheer me up because I was crying. And I ended up laughing. He is mean but not in a mean way. Not sure if it makes sense. I think even MJ would laugh at what he said. That is what I mean. He is not doing that out of disrespect, is what I mean.

SO he and I came up with the icon that is called "Alderaan Neighborhood". We were talking about witty SW stuff, and I had the idea of having Alderaan being blown up but could not think of something funny to say. SO he blurted, "There Goes the Neighborhood." So I created it.

[image=http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g307/carrjammin/Artwork/Icons/JCForums%20Icons/alderaanneighborhood.jpg]
    I lost my TF.N icon virginity with that baby. [face_blush] I want to do more witty stuff but my brain has been on autopilot for a while. I have 11 icons that have made it. Maybe a few more. Yay! I started a couple of months ago.

18. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    [face_laugh]

That's an awesome icon.

I've looked everywhere for the banner and can't find it. Seems to be some gaps in what the Internet Archive actually saves.

I've already received my fabulous prize.

19. Mekairinek

Mekairinek Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2009
    Bah, I'd love to make more icons for the JCC, but I'm about as motivated as a slug to make anything at the moment. That isn't a school project, mind you.

20. Fallen-Hero

Sep 5, 2009
    Don't apologize Tyi, this is actually a third if not fourth account lol. I used to go under Lady_Jedi_Skywalker and that was between '03 to about '06, which gave me loads of time to make banners had I wanted. I had thought of making icons and who knows, maybe I will venture a try soonish. After all there's this really awesome Jacen pic and there's no icon of it. :( I just don't bother when I have no inspiration or a real want. I find that I do shabby work then.

21. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    If you link to the pic I can take a shot at it.

22. Fallen-Hero

Sep 5, 2009
    That would be great Salty, but don't feel obliged or anything lol!

So, according to Viridity it's from the Jedi vs Sith reference book (unless there's another essential guide to the force that I completely didn't notice about). I'll hunt it down in my libraries and see if I can find it. If so, I'll scan it, though I think the pic is a decent size for icon-making, but if you would be comfortable with bigger...

[image=http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/antillesjanson/star%20wars/pnjo22.jpg]

23. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Got a lot going on in that pic...

24. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Is that Anakin Solo at the top?

Cool icon, Jaden. And it sounds like you have a cool hubbie, too. ;)

I'm guessing there's some hectic school projects going on that are taking it all out of you? :(

25. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I remember when I got my senior project done in college. I turned it in right before I went to C3. I was so thrilled to finally be done with my Poli Sci degree. Celebrated at C3 in Indy with a bunch of my friends from the JC.