main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY The World Cup

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by MysterySith, Jun 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom_Tom_Binks

Tom_Tom_Binks Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 28, 2001
    Defense 'looks' better, does it?

And who died and put you in charge?

It took thousands of years for the English to cultivate the English language and a mere two hundred for the Americans to destoy it.

2. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Hey yeah! I did spell it correctly! I spelt it with a S and not a C!

3. StarFromIHJ

StarFromIHJ Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2002
    My English Professors always tell us the amazing thing about the English language is it's ability to change. lol

And look whose board you are on! Go to the British boards if you want 'proper English' spelling. :p

So USA is totally going to get crushed tomorrow, huh?

4. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Oooooooh!

"And look whose board you are on! Go to the British boards if you want 'proper English' spelling."

That was below the belt. Gotta keep those gloves up!

And yes, I think that Germany will pretty much poop on you. But if America does win it will be "a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one..." :p

5. StarFromIHJ

Apr 5, 2002
    I'm just practicing in case the final game is England vs. America. :p

6. Tom_Tom_Binks

Dec 28, 2001
    Yeah, yeah, all right (not alright). The point is conceeded. I AM on your board so I'll tolerate your shocking use of my language but P L E A S E don't expect me to condone it.

It's just all you Americans are so much more fun to talk to when it comes to Star Wars. The British don't get as excited as you do about it, which is why I like you all soooo much and have to fly 3,500 miles to come and watch it with you every three years.

Good luck in your match tomorrow - you're gonna need it. I'll be rooting for you but, I have to admit, wouldn't mind if you lost as I'd love England to meet the Germans in the final. We've got some old scores to settle with them...

Nb: If England get beaten by Brazil, I'll be cheering you all the way. But let's not even *think* of going there...

7. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Don't you mean "practicing"? And who said the British can't spell? :p

Yeah, that would be a weird final England vs. America. If we won, you probably wouldn't speak to me for days, would you? :D

8. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Amen to that, Tom (Star Wars and American's and England crushing Germany in the final!)

9. Tom_Tom_Binks

Dec 28, 2001
    Did I miss something there? She did say practicing.

10. StarFromIHJ

Apr 5, 2002
    I edited it. I admit I make a lot of typing mistakes.

Of course I'd talk to you. Why wouldn't I?

If America loses to Germany and England wins against Brazil I'll be rooting for England.

[ot]I am pro some British spellings. Like favorite looks weird without the u and so does color. But it is so fun to tease you about the differences. lol[/ot]

11. Tom_Tom_Binks

Dec 28, 2001
    What about 'Attack of the Clounes'?

12. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Okay, DESPERATLY trying to swerve this thread back on topic...Do you think that it would be wise to call a national holiday (in the event that England are in the final) on the 1st of July, as what is currently being considered by the House of Commons, so that people can recover from the day/night before, or do you think that it should be on the day of the final itself, and worry about the consequences later?

EDIT: Is that in reference to Martin Clounes? Or did that joke go right over my head (as usual)? :p

13. StarFromIHJ

Apr 5, 2002
    Oh yes, "Attack Of The Clounes" looks wonderful. :p

14. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    We love it when you UK folks come and visit us! :) Keep coming back!

Well, here's hoping the US doesn't get spanked too badly tomorrow. At this point I think we're all more like "wow what are WE doing in the quarterfinals" moreso than "we're gonna wipe the field with your team" LOL.

Still, the US's success in this World Cup has really opened up alot of Americans' eyes to footie, which I think is great!

15. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Yeah, it needs it.

Anyway, you know I'll be definetly be coming back in 2005! If not, before! (and in costume too!) :D

16. Moeskywalker64

Moeskywalker64 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2002
    "Still, the US's success in this World Cup has really opened up alot of Americans' eyes to footie, which I think is great!"

Well still not enough...I mean I don't hear crazy screaming at the end of matches...I miss crazy screaming... :)

17. Tom_Tom_Binks

Dec 28, 2001
    So then, England 1 - 2 Brazil.

It all started so brightly for England with, as we predicted in this thread, Michael Owen causing the problems. What a fantastic goal that was! If you're not that into football you probably didn't notice how he fooled the keeper with his eyes and feigned to go left with his body only to lift it over him after the keeper commited himself. It truely was a cool finish.

After that however, England failed to capitalise and conceided right before half time - the worse possible time to let in a goal. It allowed the Brazilians right back into the game and they went into the break with a positive attitude and high moral. If only we could've held on a few more seconds things might have been different. In hindsight, maybe Beckham and Scholes shouldn't have backed out on their tackles a few moments before but at that time I could see why they did. Beckham would have got clattered - risking injury to an already fragile foot - and Scholes didn't want to give a foul away in a seemingly harmless area and let Brazil regroup so close to half time. But Brazil broke with Ronaldinho and you have to say it was a good move and a fantastic finish by Rivaldo. Five goals in five games now for him.

After the break England got off to the worst possible start and conceided a freak early goal as Ronaldinho scored directly from a free kick which a lot of people thought was a cross. I personally thought it was wonderful quick thinking and he was actually looking to score. Whatever, it was in the back of the net and England were behind.

It was always going to be tough to get back into it but then suddenly Brazil were down to ten men when Brazil's best player, the scorer of the second and provider of the first - Ronaldinho, was sent off; in my eyes a little unfairly but I certainly wasn't complaining. England, it seemed, were now in with a shout with a man advantage. If we could equalise, surely the extra man would prove telling in extra time.

But no. This is where England proved to the world they're not yet good enough at this level and were not deserving of winning this match or the World Cup. With the extra man they should have stretched the Brazilians, flooded the midfield and bombarded the box. Brazil had lost their dangerman but when cometh the hour, it seemed like England had lost theirs too. The final balls into the Brazilian box were, in a word, terrible. It just didn't seem as if we were at all threatening and showed no signs whatsoever of penetrating their defence. The attacking was toothless and we played the final thirty-five minutes out like it was anything like the quarter finals of the greatest tournament on earth. Disappointing. On this performance we didn't deserve too win and Brazil did. On the day we weren't good enough. It's as simple as that.

Go USA...

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, when I read this score this morning (awakening for the USA match) I was sad...

It will be a sadder day in the office now... :(

But go USA!

19. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    It's a sad day all round I think :( *condolence hugs for England and USA fans alike*

However, I do think the US gave Germany a pretty good run for their money. They played well and I applaud them :)

At least we can say we both made it to the quarterfinals :)

20. Moeskywalker64

Feb 13, 2002
    I feel sick...lets have a riot...

21. cyranodb

cyranodb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2001
    Yeah. Both my teams, Italy and the US, are out. I'll probably watch the final game just because I think that whoever is playing, it'll be a good game.

Mike C. ;)

22. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    [image=http://www.thesun.co.uk/picture/0,,2002280744,00.jpg]

I think that image sums up my feelings pretty well. I feel so depressed. At the end of the match (which I stayed up all night to watch!) I was in such disbelief, I couldn't do anything except bury my head in my hands, tears running down my cheeks.

How could we have played so badly, after a magic opening? We could have won it; we SHOULD have won it! We had so many oppurtunities to score, but it seemed that no one took the initiative, and no one was in support.

This was not the way it was supposed to be.

Oh, well... Let's look at the bright side of it; at least we lasted longer than France and Argentina, and that's always something to smile at!

Might as well give the cup to the Germans now, and get it over with!

Actually, thinking about it, I don't know what hurts more, the fact that Brazil knocked us out, or the fact that Germany has a strong chance to win the cup, and we can't do anything to stop them.

*Quietly whistles the theme to The Great Escape...*

23. Moeskywalker64

Feb 13, 2002
    Well It's over...the wildest Football tournament of my life...
    I'm glad that Brazil won...Over all I was very pleased with South Korea, Japan, Senegal and many other small name teams' performance. It was almost unpredictable at times but the best team won...

24. cyranodb

cyranodb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2001
    All I'm gonna say is that the US showed that they can be a contending team in the international soccer venue. So all the rest of them better watch out next time cause we're ready to take them all on. USA USA!!

Mike C. ;)

25. Moeskywalker64

Feb 13, 2002
    Not just the US I mean every team was surprizing...I loved it.

2006 USA BABY! I really hope the next time more people watch...I mean the World Cup was really nothing big here while more people in the world watched it than the freakin' Apollo missions :) There should be better advertising and Football should leave American image of being the girls' afterschool sport. Football is exciting and fun and just as good(if not better) than other American sports... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.