main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Things in Star Wars That TCW Fixed Accidentally

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Dark Lord Tarkas, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I know many agree and many disagree on this, but I think TCW fills in a lot of holes in the Star Wars saga left open by the PT. But there's something pretty cool it fixed accidentally that got me wondering if there are any other examples.

In Battlefront II each planet has a main hero or villain you can be if you earn it, and Darth Maul is the villain for the CIS for many of the planets, which never made any sense at all before since he was thought dead a decade before the Clone Wars began, but now because of TCW it can fit in with continuity perfectly. After the events of The Lawless, Darth Maul basically became Sidious' Ventress and so he wound up fighting on all these planets for the CIS during the Clone Wars.

And to be honest this seeming mistake used to bother me quite a bit, so I'm really happy TCW accidentally made it make sense now.

So are there any other examples like this people can think of of something TCW fixed accidentally?

2. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Wait, is this considered canon? I would think not...

Obviously, YMMV.

Well, TCW certainly "fixed" a lot of Karen Traviss' works, didn't it? Although I'm not sure it was exactly accidental. Traviss' Mandalorians are a warrior culture comprised of multiple clans that would be united under the banner of the true Mand'alor. But in TCW we got the New Mandalorians, a pacifistic bunch of n00bs. Also, it's been said that in Traviss' works most of the Jedi don't treat clones with any sort of compassion, essentially leading a slave army in a way not unlike Pong Krell. I'm glad that at least it seems like the clones are treated not only as sentient beings but as individuals by most of their Jedi commanders in TCW (notable exception of Krell, of course). That's one "change" that I welcomed, but most of TCW's "fixes" didn't really do much outside of contradict certain aspects of the EU.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The Battlefront games are not canon, so doesn't count that Maul is a villain for the CIS Faction

4. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Onderon's physically impossible moon, Dxun.

Here is where TCW's apparent retcon of this was discussed, in the thread "Ancient Sith".

5. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    anakinfansince1983 had never met a female Star Wars character she didn't like and think was a great role model to young girls.

TCW fixed that.

Darthgoodguy and JackG like this.
  6. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    I'm pretty sure she already hated Mara Jade.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    How did my preferences become so important? [face_laugh]

8. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    I liked Anakin. I despised him in the films, the whiny brat (for the most part).

9. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I can't think of a whole lot of things that TCW fixed. One thing it almost ruined accidentally is the character of Revan, who was redeemed. Had he appeared as a Sith spirit as initially planned, that would have complicated things.

10. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    I wonder if the bonus material is going to retcon Sith Force-ghosts out of existence.

It would be pretty stupid if it did, since they have featured widely throughout the EU. Many a treasured storyline started out when Exar Kun or some such person appeared as a ghost to some young Jedi, and turned them to the Dark Side.

Even in something as recent as TOR part of the story involves the dead Sith Lord Kalatosh Zavros having his ghost summoned in a ritual (he is none too pleased about it though). There's a whole cutscene involving it.

11. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    In my opinion I think the fact that Dooku and Anakin had battles against each other after Ep. II made that line from Ep. III make a lot more sense. Dooku was a lot more than just twice as good as Anakin in Ep. II so having them fight multiple times after that made things seem more realistic.

12. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Circular Logic Legolas Skywalker it doesn't matter whether Battlefront was canon or not, Darth Maul being the CIS leader still made no sense before TCW but makes sense now because of it.

darkchrono seems to be the only one who got the concept of accidentally fixing something. :p

13. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Not really. Maul was affiliated with the Order of the Sith Lords back in TPM, and the CIS was affiliated (even if they were unaware) with the Order in AotC and RotS. So, they all had the same master. Anyway, when did Maul lead the Confederate forces in TCW?

14. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Being affiliated with the CIS ten years before the war started doesn't really matter. The CIS fights the Republic, so Darth Maul is there killing clones. These battles couldn't have happened before the Clone Wars started. To answer your last question:
    (Worded as a statement but really just an explanation of how I think of it.)

15. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Anakin being annoyed at the refusal to make him a Master. Before, even I as an Anakin apologist thought it seemed somewhat arrogant, but the fact that the council considered Ahsoka to have completed her Jedi Trial (even if she refused to return) means Anakin trained an apprentice to knighthood, and thus should have attained the title of master. The fact she left gives them just enough wiggle room, but makes it seem petty on their behalf, rather than arrogant on Anakin's. It makes sense now.

16. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Now to be fair, the RotS novelization by Matthew Stover actually did a good job of elucidating Anakin's private reasoning for wanting to become a Jedi Master; it would allow him to gain access to the Jedi holocron archives from which he hoped to discover a way to save his wife from death. That was his motivation for wanting to become a Master, not the pettiness that he showed in the film itself, which unfortunately never went into any detail as to Anakin's personal reasoning, so it only served to make him look arrogant.

Also, while it was somewhat implied that the Council was willing to knight Ahsoka due to the whole "great trial" speech by Windu, I don't think it's 100% certain. Anakin wanted to give Ahsoka her braid back, which kind of indicated that she would return to the Order still as a Padawan, although you could say it was a symbolic gesture. Either way, though, Ahsoka never officially became a Jedi Knight and so Anakin could not have achieved Masterhood if the prerequisite was to train a Padawan to Knighthood.

17. Alixen

Aug 7, 2003
    True enough, but thats the novel, and as much as I love it, most will go by the film.

I'm pretty sure they were going to knight her, but that ambiguity is why I said they had wiggle room. ;)

18. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    I looked at it another way. I saw the Ahsoka debacle as the missing link in the puzzle of why the Jedi put Anakin on the council, but didn't make him a master - a move that was apparently unprecedented, and as such, greatly insulted Anakin.

In RoTS you'd almost get the impression at that point, that some bad juju went down, in which Anakin was involved, and fairly recently. The events of the Ahsoka arc of TCW could be that inferred unpleasantness.

There's also more simmering bad blood between him and the council over the Obi-Wan fake death escapade and such like things, not immediately apparent, but when you've seen TCW it really gives you a better picture of just how much he was in a bad place in relation to the Jedi council by the time of RoTS.

RoTS showed us that Anakin didn't see eye to eye with the council on many things, didn't get on with them well. TCW showed us that wedge being driven in, and let us see just how big it already was, before the events of RoTS ever came about.

And who knows what more fallout they had planned for season 6, 7, 8 before Disney nixed it. Much of season 6 is made and is supposedly getting released at some point... as for season 7, they have storyboards, scripts et al... I hope at some point they get released in a manual or something, and declared canon, even though they weren't made.

19. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Did the Council say she was a knight now? For some reason, I don't remember that. I assumed Anakin was just asking her back as an apprentice.

20. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I don't see a gap for the "bad blood" regarding Anakin and the Council; RotS already provided it. It didn't need anything added.

A particular distrust with Windu might've been worth showing though.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. Alixen

Aug 7, 2003

They tried to placate her and save face, noting that it was her great trial (i.e her Jedi Trial). It's different for every Jedi, and I personally think they were just trying to fix what they realised too late they had broken, as most of them didn't seem to shocked when she refused to return. If they planned to have her return later, i'm glad TCW ended where it did, as I think her reasoning and decision was the true passing of her great trial. By that point in TCW her skills are easily that of a Knight, and this just proved she had the maturity required, even if she had to cut ties. I think as was noted above offering her beads/braid back was more a gesture. We don't know if she would have ever actually worn it again.

We got to see a little of that in this arc too, and the Clone Wars in general, with Mace noting he didn't trust him a few times. Somewhat amusing, since this is the Master of Sora-Bulq, and the 'creator' of one of the most aggressive lightsaber styles of the Jedi, that if used while a little annoyed can turn you to the dark side. And, unlike the comics, Anakin was out there fighting and being the hero while Mace barely seems to leave the Temple. From what I recall, for the most part we only ever see him in holograms and the Temple.

22. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    That's one of the things I hated about the series. They focused on the Council members way more than the average Jedi Knight, like there wasn't anyone else to showcase. Ten thousand Jedi and we only get to see, what, twenty, thirty?

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  23. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Alixen: I meant something in particular to explain why he distrusts Anakin, especially since in AotC he was praising him.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This, although I thought the Hardeen arc did a great job adding to that.

And "mature" would be the last word I'd use to describe Ahsoka's decision to leave. I think the Council felt sympathy for what Tarkin had put her through, hence their use of the words "great trial." I don't know that they were planning to knight her but it's certainly possible.

I don't think that added much to the rift between Anakin and the Council though, not nearly as much as the Hardeen arc did, especially considering that after the events there, Anakin's trust in Obi-Wan was shattered.

25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    But not all of them, unfortunately.