main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "If You Seek His Monument, Look Around You" - The Man of Steel and Announced Sequel Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 9, 2006.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, I would kind of hope for her back, too. She adds a lot of humour. She's hilarious.

Spacey's incarnation of Lex is a lot more menacing than Hackman's. I think he should definitely be back, though in a secondary capacity obviously. I really want to see Braniac as the main villain and maybe Metallo as a secondary, physical villain.

-sj loves kevin spacey

2. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    "Henchmen are common thugs. Hence the term henchmen. Lex's goon squad was never meant to be impressive or interesting. They were there to serve Lex and get their cut of the profits. That is the definition of henchmen."

Well you are right they were neither impressive or interesting. I just think some cool interesting badass henchmen couldn't hurt, instead of a bunch of nobodies. As for Lex Luthor I just think he would be more of a threat if they played up the scientific genius angle a bit more. I have no problem with him getting help from other scientist as long as they're not there just to be funny.

"You've got to be kidding me. Parker Posey as Kitty was fantastic."

You're kidding me right. She was the lamest character in the movie. I'm hoping Lex Luthor had to eat her while he was stuck on the desert island.

3. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well you're in a very small minority there. In my experience, people really thought she was good.

I do wish they'd left more of Stanford's backstory and interaction with Luthor in the film. It would have been cooler. He's supposed to be this genius and all he says in the film now is "I know.. I know!"

-sj loves kevin spacey

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Stamford wasn't funny. What, because he tripped and dropped the small piece of Sunstone? People trip. He's nervous for that and because Lex can have him killed with a snap of his fingers. He was there to help Lex and he did.

5. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    I wasn't refering to him in particular. I just meant that sometimes in these types of movies, they make the scientists overly nerdy and comical which isn't necessary they're not making a comedy.

6. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Well I thought the scene where Brutus plays the piano with Jason was interesting. I didn't expect a criminal thug with a tattoo on the back of his head to sit down and play "Heart and Souls" with a five-year old. It's a small scene but I think it adds depth to what could have been just another bland stereotypical character.

7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    yeah, I was glad they went away from a stereotype there. Obviously they had way too much to cover to devote time to thugs, but it was nice to at least have it implied that Brutus wasn't just some creep (though he was extremely brutal with Lois). And I don't really know why Kal Penn was cast, but certainly not for comedy. He wasn't supposed to be some stereotypical nerd. I'm not sure what he was supposed to be... I heard it was a little more detailed in the novel.

But anyway, it's a moot point as the thugs have been killed. Which is appropriate, since Luthor himself is likely to be playing second fiddle in the next film to whoever the big bad villain is, a la Superman II (though please don't use Zod. Please.)

-sj loves kevin spacey

8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Kal Penn's role as Stamford was to help with the Sunstone crystal and in a deleted sequence, it's revealed that he helped Lex trick Superman into going back to Krypton, so he could get out of prison.

9. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    The thugs were pretty dumb and pointless to the plot and purpose of the movie. Yeah, they beat up Superman when he was vunerable. But I could have thought of better villains than thugs. The thugs were a bit like the battle droids. All the same gender, hardly any brains, and yet, very devoted. In fact, for a good laugh, go to the superman cinema message board where all the posters are the same gender, have hardly have any brains, date fat women, and yet are very devoted to their webmaster who wears a turban. ;) Overall, I liked SR, most of it. This morning I was driving down La Cienga in LA and I had an SR flashback of Brandon Routh stomping his boots against metal and melting imprints of his boots into it.

10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    sinister, yeah, it would have been a lot better if they'd been able to work that in. Because when you know Lex is the one who tricked Superman into thinking Krypton was still around, well, it just makes that whole plot better.

Personally, I hope that for MOS there aren't henchmen (except maybe Parker Posey if there's room because she's really funny). I would expect Lex to kind of be a secondary villain, hopefully to a team like Brainiac/Metallo.

-sj loves kevin spacey

11. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
  12. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    I think that's a given considering Kevin Spacey has been saying he's signed for the sequel.

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Not much, but it is a confirmation that they're working on the script.

14. _ClarkKent_

_ClarkKent_ Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2007
    Wow, I'm surprised that the report Brain (that was the name of the poster at BT) gave got all the way to ComingSoon. I personally believed him because there was no reason not to, he had a photo and all. But I'm surprised because he removed it from BT because people were bickering over it...

Suffice it to say, I felt this was reliable and interesting. Because we know Lex is one of the villains, so who will he be teamed with? Personally, I'm very much hoping for Brainiac. He could have hopped aboard the ship when Supes was at Krypton. It would even give them a reason to actually use that Krypton footage they shot.

Maybe that's just wishful thinking, but I think it would be amazing.

-sj loves kevin spacey

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I think it will be Brainiac, but that he'll come in his head ship.

[image=http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g92/darth-sinister/Avatars/vehic_brain_thumb.jpg]

16. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    Brainic would be pretty cool.

17. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    Indeed but not as cool as darkseid...but i repeat myself.

18. Panther50

Apr 7, 2004
    True but what are the odds they'll ever use Darkseid in a movie.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Do a "New Gods" film first. Then have him in Superman.

20. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    ok..is it just me; or is anyone else concerned that's it's the end of 2007 and no sequel has been greenlit yet.

All the talk is the JLA movie....and Batman: The Dark Knight

I don't see how...(and I'm a fan of Batman..not big...but fan) the Batman reboot..got a greenlit..but not Superman.

BB had a budget of 150..and made 205. 50 million dollar profit???? and that's a go ahead
    SR had a budget of 260 and made 200; but that is totally WB's fault. 10 years of bullcrap..hell Nic Cage got 25 mil in pay or play deal. I mean..that's great managing :rolleyes:

So because of WB and their poor managing of Superman...they are gonna leave him behind??? I think that sucks..

btw: EW totally trashed Brandon Routh in the last issue; something to the effect...of "after lackluster performances of Affleck in Daredevil and Brandon Routh in Superman Returns" people are looking more towards the Tobey Maquire's and Spiderman for their fixes...who brings depth and emotion to the role.

Oh please..give me a break. Like people are seeing Spiderman because of the acto? It's all about costumed spiderman and special effects.

I was really looking forward to another Superman Movie....

21. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Maybe Singer & Co. have a five-year or so limit on their contracts, and WB is wisely waiting for that to run out so they can try again with the franchise and do a better job.

Singer went way too much for the feel of the Spider-Man movies. Way too young of a cast (yes, I know Routh was the same age Christopher Reeve was in 78, but Reeve seemed MUCH more mature), a story that managed to discard all the spirit of Donner's original while being incredibly derivative, and too much moodiness.

Superman is NOT a Marvel character. Any angst he has, he endures by gritting his teeth and fighting through it, not by floating in the atmosphere thinking of depressing poetry for his MySpace.

Something is seriously wrong when I spend a Superman movie rooting for Cyclops.

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    First off, it's not the end of 2007. It's about the end of summer. There's four more months left. Also, the script is still being written. Most of the time you don't greenlight without a script. We've also heard that so far, WB is keen on what Singer has pitched about MOS. JLA is being fast tracked because they have a director and a script. So it's been greenlit. WB is also paranoid that a strike will prevent them from having something out.

JKH, you haven't read too many Superman stories then. He can be quite depressed and a bit moody about his ineffectiveness as Superman and his place in the world. As well as being the last Kryptonian. I suggest reading "Peace On Earth", "For Tomorrow", "The Journey", Action Comics #850, "Last Son", "The Supergirl From Krypton", "Metropolis Mailbag", "What's So Funny About Truth & Justice?", "Exiled" and broken engagement arc from 1996.

BTW, Donner loved what Singer did. From before he even seen the film, when Singer pitched the story and asked for his blessing.

23. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    There's nothing wrong with Supes running the emotional gamut. It's what makes Superman II (either version) work so well. But SR handled those emotions in a much different way, which, now that I think of it, may be as simple as the difference between a clenched or unclenched jaw. Even when he was down in the depths, Reeve's Superman was on some level fighting it. You looked into his eyes and saw a STRUGGLE going on. Routh's eyes are mostly empty; he seems to surrender to the depression and in fact wallow in it.

Yeah, and I also heard that James Cameron liked Terminator 3. That doesn't mean it was a great movie.

I'm sure Donner liked the idea, because he probably envisioned a movie with capable and age-appropriate actors, as well as one that actually continued the visual and musical style of his original film beyond the occasional token quoting of John Williams themes. And perhaps without so many obvious rehashed lines and plot devices.

24. ComicDiva

ComicDiva Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2004
    Dancing, don't forget the dancing.

Yes, i am quite worried about the sequel also but I'm satisfied with SR enough to not care. It's a good movie no matter what anybody says.

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, look at it from his point of view. Clark knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is the last of his kind and the one person who can bring him the most happiness, has moved on. Or so he thinks at the outset. One of the key aspects of Superman is that every now and then he gets depressed about his being the last of his kind. It's only changed thanks to Krypto, Kara, Power Girl, Kandor and Chris. He no longer feels alone and isolated as Lara said in the first film.

[image=http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g92/darth-sinister/Avatars/Avatars-2/Avatars-3/Avatars-4/SM_ANN_2007_CVR_SOLICIT.jpg]

He liked the concept in 2000 and he liked the final product in 2006. That's why Bryan Singer was there when the Donner Cut was given a private screening.

BTW, Christopher Reeve was 24 when he was playing Superman. The same age as Brandon Routh.