main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Thread Necromancy Fixes

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth_Zandalor, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Can we implement the feature from the old boards that would lock unused threads after a period of time in order to cut down on people bringing up old threads for the sake of controversy? I remember needing to ask a mod permission to unlock older threads if we felt we had something to add to the discussion, or if new material would be pertinent to the thread's contents.

2. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    The auto-lock was set at 6 months on the old boards. I don't believe there's a feature for that here out of the box, but that doesn't mean it can't happen at some point down the road.

3. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Yes, I actually really liked the system, because it cut down on necro, and it helped keep things relevant. How hard would it be to implement with the new board setup?

4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I agree. Autolocking would be desirable.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Looks like there is an add-on available but at the moment it is for individual threads rather than a global setting. It might be useful for threads with limited lives, like awards threads or game threads. The developer has plenty of requests to make it global but hasn't yet as far as I can see.

6. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Well it's good to know it's still in the cards for the future.

7. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I don see what the big deal is. Most of the forums have a thread index to use. Some of the best threads have 100's of pages.

*** Reported for baiting. Edited***

8. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    And some threads are better left buried before some prig decides to bring it up for the sake of inciting an argument. Those 100+ page threads usually don't die off from inactivity, which isn't what I'm proposing. I'm talking about threads that haven't had a response for something like three months or more, have them locked and just start a new thread, or contact a mod to unlock the thread.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.