main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN TIMMYCON!

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Dork-Vader, Feb 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    If you guys are really gonna do this, I would say incorporate it with some other event like a drive-in night. I see it being no more than a couple of tables set out like a garage sale with items on it right? I figure whoever would come to a drive in night would come to this, and you don't want to spend too much cash for the regulars plus a couple of others to show up. Then again, I could be the pessimist here and maybe more than 10 or 11 folks would show up.

2. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Yeah, I think having it with a Drive-In is a must, and I'd like to keep all costs to a minimum. The only thing I'd like to really check into is possibly renting a portapottie just so Tim and Traci don't have folks tromping thru thier house all day.

I think doing like we do at DIMN with grilling out, the regulars bringing some dish, chips, or sodas, kids (and some adults) whacking each other with toy sabers, and all would be good. We'd just add some tables of toys/collectibles we'd like to trade or sell, I'll contact some of my artist friends about doing caricatures and/or face painting and selling/signing comics. Maybe Emma's class could come out and do a martial arts demo. If I have time I could paint up a SW or starfield background for folks to stand in front of with one of the photo sabers. Might be a way to raise a few bucks to cover any expenses.

Once it gets dark enough to start the movie I'd love to show a cartoon short and/or fan film before the main movie.

I'll be doing some TIMMYCON! t's and possibly some SMT hats. Members can buy those there. I'll also work on doing some promo materials for the club to have there for anyone interested in joining up.

Now, as far as how much we push this is up to Tim and Traci, since it's thier back yard...

3. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    TIMMYCON- Get your geek on in the backyard!

Yes, the port-a-potty thing would be a must. I'd honestly like to push this one back towards the end of the summer/early fall to give us time to develop it.

Here's what I sorta want to shoot for at TimmyCon:

Buying/selling/trading of toys

Drive-in movie

Guests: Local Cartoonists, etc

Food and Drinks (For SMT members and invited guests only.)

We have three 10x10 tents available to us, so we could actually do a panel or two if we really wanted to. (Only if it looks like this thing will be big enough to even warrant a panel.)

I like the idea of the face-painting and all that. We have to remember that space will be a big issue. (Of course, if the house next door is still empty..... we could always take over their backyard. It has its own Sarlaac Pit, so it would fit in nicely.)

We need to get a committee going. Any volunteers?

4. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I'm up for it. I can see about inviting comic guests and setting up the face painting and promo materials.

BTW- I just noticed there are stars next to me- what's up with that? I'm not the only one seeing stars am I?!

5. Smokem_Alien

Smokem_Alien Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 2002
    I think the stars refer to how many posts you've made. I'm willing to help in any way I can. Tell me what needs to be done.

6. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Oh look - the stars are back.....again. Wish they'd make up their minds about those things.

Rhonda and I will be at the Pat O'Briens Con if anyone is looking for us. 8-}

7. WonderPants

WonderPants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2003
    Now a few Tools and Knobs have even greater reason to brag about their post counts.... [face_plain]

8. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    You're my hero Ben!!! [face_love]

Can you say Bib_Fortuna????

9. WonderPants

WonderPants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2003
    You took the words right out of my mouth, Rhonda.

Back when I was adminning this sorry excuse of a board, I rememer one incident when it emerged that he was alternately posting as BF, T and a sock in the SW Line by Line threads to jack his post count up. Really.

Anyway, enough of SW fanboys. I'm off down the pub. Tell Tim to be prepared for one of my Drunken Phonecalls. ;)

10. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Cheers, Ben!

11. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    Personally, I'm hoping that the stars are an April Fool's joke.

As a mod, you would think that I would know what is up with the stars, but I guess I haven't been paying attention. :p

12. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Man, you've got a bunch of them, too!

Maybe so, I noticed Spock and the Matrix whenever I've logged in today.

13. Smokem_Alien

Smokem_Alien Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 2002
    I noticed that too Lin and I was like 'What the fudge?'

14. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    It's an April Fool's thing. One year, they turned it into the Star Trek Council and another year all the banners were in Japanese or something like that. It used to be pretty funny, but the powers-that-be have not had much imagination lately.....or so it seems.

15. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    That explains a lot!

16. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    Don't blame me...I'm just an RSA. :p ;)

17. IrishThunder

IrishThunder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2001
    I'm working on getting these original trailers on a vcd. If I'm successful, i'll sell them for the low low price of $99.95 @ Timmycon.....not really, if'n i'm successful, i'll hook everyone up.

18. TK_1427

TK_1427 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    Tim Count me in on the commitee as well. Let me know what you want me to do. As long as it is not the first weekend in Sept. (DragonCon) I'm there dude!

Chuck

19. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    TIMMYCON! TIMMYCON! TIMMYCON!

20. Star_Blazer_M31

Star_Blazer_M31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2003
    Sorry...this merits the outcry

TIMMY!
    And the Lords of the Underworld!

TIMMY!
    And the Lords of the Underworld!

Sorry. Don't hurt me.

-Darth Grace*

21. IrishThunder

IrishThunder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2001
    TIMMAH...? TIMMAH, TIMMAH, TIMMAH, JIMMAH, TIMMAH!

22. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Yep, I'm sure we'll be hearing plenty of that!

23. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    BTW- Tim, since it's TIMMYCON!, what flick does Timmy want to show that night?

I'm hoping the new MSCA comic will be out by then. It's only supposed to take a couple weeks at the printer- once it's a go. We'll have a b/w half page SMT ad in it. I'm going to try and get at least some of the guys involved with it to come out for TC!1. Antone is one of them and has a nice booth set-up. Greg's another who does 'The Buckets' strip, so having a nationally syndicated cartoonist at our first 'micro-con' would be cool. Kev and Muley should be there as well, and I'm going to see if Adam Shaw/Image/'BloodStream' would like to come out. His fourth book should be out by then.

When do we want to have our first official TC!1 meeting?

24. Star_Blazer_M31

Star_Blazer_M31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2003
    Okay, for the longest time I was thinking 'what the HELL is TimmyCon' but I finally read the first post. :p

Sounds interesting. I'm sure I could contribute somehow...I can draw stoopid chibis of everyone.

-Darth Grace*

Who can't spell.

25. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    It actually was a joke (and may still turn out to be!) and then after awhile we said, "What the hey!"

Should be a fun get together. I've heard of other clubs doing swap-meet nights. Combining that with DriveIn, some comic folks, face painting, caricatures, costumes, etc. should be a lot of fun. I'm going to see about doing some t-shirts for the event, and maybe some kind of door prizes or freebies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.