main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

To Overcome: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Audio' started by Janz_Walker, Feb 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    To Overcome is a journey through the mind of one young man as he struggles with many of the deeper things of life: service to country; family; death.

Some people may be tempted to view this tale as allegorical to the situation in Iraq as it stands as of now, February 2004. But they would be mistaken as to the writer's intention. This is not a piece about the horrors of war, and makes no anti-war or pro-war statements except within the context of philosophy. Some wars must be fought. Period. And to make this audio drama representative of anything but would be an insult to those who made its release possible.

Rather, this tale is about the personal journey of one young man. I originally wrote the piece that gave birth to this audio play to give himself an outlet to work through one of his worst fears, that of being drafted to serve in the military, and, through such service, possible death.

To a farmboy from Kansas, who would rather have nothing to do with any sort of violence at all, that can be a pretty scary thought. Vulnerabilities and personal insights are shared through the writing and Steve Fluharty's mixing that are not typically shared in today's society. And thus what you will find in this piece is a deeply personal tale that has led this writer to a sense of peace in the face of an uncertain future. Please enjoy To Overcome. Selah.

Christopher Walker
    February 1, 2004
    (To Overcome Release Day)

http://www.starwarsfanworks.com/toovercome.html

2. Janz_Walker

Sep 9, 2000
    This isn't your typical fan audio fare. Don't come into it thinking you're going to get blasters and Jedi all wrapped up into a nice package. It's uh, more like an art piece. So it requires a certain amount of interperatation on your part to understand. It wouldn't be any fun if I spelled it out for you. :)

I think that I wrote it to be sort of confusing to those who didn't understand the concept when first heard. Which is certainly something that audiences aren't used to. Don't listen to this with any sort of expectation whatsoever. You have been forewarned. :)

3. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    I really shouldn't have been listening to it during the super bowl. My bad, cause yeah it totally didn't make any sense in between bad running and offensive holding calls. :)

Gonna have to listen to it when I'm less occupied.

Keith

4. cinemafreak

cinemafreak Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2002
    Janz - love the icon. hahahahaha

This wasn't what I was expecting, as I read no info about it ahead of time. I have some questions that you can fill me in via PM if they might be spelling things out more basically than you'd like here. I am confused as to the identity of the voice, and what relation to the main character, me (I like that though). I like the meaning behind the message, very important. I will listen a few more times, as I like the feel and flow. Just getting hung up on the purpose of some of the characters. Beyond that, I give it a thumb and a half up (got docked because of the confusion. If it turns out I goofed up and understand, then consider it a full two thumbs up).

Keep up the good work. We seem to get more thought provoking material in the Audio realm than in fanfilms.

5. Janz_Walker

Sep 9, 2000
    PM sent. If anyone wants me to post my analysis here, lemme know and I'll retype it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.