main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto ***Toronto FanForce Movie Night - May 19th ***

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by TragicLad, May 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    To commemerate the two year anniversary of the opening of Phantom Menace, we will be holding a movie night gathering on the 19th.

As per usual, we will meet at the York Cinemas (101 Eglinton Avenue East -- just a couple blocks east of Yonge) at 3pm. From there, we'll grab a bite to eat before moving on to see a show.

The choice of movie is to be decided through mortal combat. Hope to see you guys there.

The nitty gritty details:
    When: May 19th, 3:00 pm
    Where: York Cinemas, 101 Eglinton Avenue East
    Movie: It's a mystery - we'll make the final call then and there.

2. td741

td741 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2000
    Hey!! I might even be there too!! What's wrong here. :p I can actually make it to these meetings? :p

(Of course, if you'd rather I not show up. :p)

3. Darvin11

Darvin11 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2001
    Uh, Tragic?

Mortal Kombat came out a while ago. Sorry but i don't think its playing at any theatres right now.

Oh well

Robin T.

4. THEREALSHMII

THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    He didn't say seeing mortal combat, just that is how the movie choice would be decided...
    Do we get to choose our weapons? Do pink Hello Kitty hammers count?

5. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    From all sides of the stadium the chanting can be heard, "Two go in. One film picked. Two go in. One film picked." The tension builds as a decision is awaited on the choice of weapons.

What do judges say?
    Judges rule that inflatable hammer is acceptable weapon.

Therealshmi launches a volley of blows against Tragic with the deadly squeeks of Hello Kitty Hammer.

Tragic counters by throwing his parents directly at therealshmi.
    Judges ruling.
    In-laws are acceptable weapon. Parents allowed as weapon choice.

"Two go in. One film picked. Two go in. One film picked."

6. Cristalia

Cristalia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2000
    *chuckle*
    I'll unfortunately be late, as the new job dictates that I work until 7pm that evening...not much leeway on that in my first week there. But I will be there after work. :)

Cris~

7. Subject Zero

Subject Zero Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2000
    I will actually be there.

Yes, I did fall of the face of the planet... climbing back onto that turtleback was hell.

:p

SZ

8. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    The nice thing is that if you miss grabbing hold of the edge of the turtle, well, it's turtles all the way down so you have quite a few more chances to grab hold.

9. Darvin11

Jan 17, 2001
    See, the whole Mortal Kombat thing was A JOKE.

Geez. I was making a play on words regarding Tragic's post.

You silly silly people.

Thats all I have to say.

Robin T.

10. EchoBase

EchoBase Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2000
    D'oh! I thought I might be able to meet you guys, until I noticed the movie 'night' starts at 3 in the afternoon. I'll be in a plane somewhere between Boston and TO at 3:00.

Edit: I thought the 19th was Friday. I have a wedding to go to on Saturday, so I definitely can't make it.
    Homer's Brain: "Now look sad and say D'oh..."
    Homer: "D'oh."

11. Cristalia

Cristalia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2000
    I actually will be on time - I decided telemarketing made me feel too dirty to live. So I quit. And took a long shower when I got home this afternoon. :)

Cris~

12. Subject Zero

Subject Zero Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2000
    :(

Sorry guys, I made a commitment I completely forgot about.

I'll have to make the next one

(If it was tommorow, that might have been a different story but I made a commitment tommorow too.

:(

On a bright note, I may be getting a good job

:)

SZ

13. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Cristalia, I admire you, I did just the same thing as you some years ago.. now, what do I do for making money for t-trek???.. I fill up fridges at my local convenient store. ;)

this is the life..

by the way for those of you who haven't seen it,

you can see the true face of cristalia here

14. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    I did telemarketing once for about 4 hours. Hated it. Absolutely hated it. No sales and rude responses in the first 4 hours, so I went to lunch and never returned. :)

15. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    Okay - here's the list of movies playing in the area that may be of interest along with the rotten tomatoes score :

Startup.com
    Canada Square 7:20 and 9:50
    100% Fresh

Spy Kids
    Canada Square 4:00
    96% Fresh

Shrek
    Silver City 4:10, 5, 5:15, 6:45, 7:45, 7:20, 9:20, 10:15
    86% Fresh

Memento
    Silver City 4, 7:30, 10
    94% Fresh

GingerSnaps
    Silver City 9:50
    Not open in enough theatres to even make the rotten tomatoe list. It's a Canadian film, shot in Scarborough, about sisters, growing up and werewolves. The few scattered reviews I've read suggest it to be better than American Werewolf in London and better than Heavenly Creatures. If you like scary movies, this seems to be the one.

So now you know, and knowing is half the battle. The other half of the battle will be the actual decision as to what we see. As I see it, this can be done in one of three ways.

a) group consensus/majority rule
    Whatever the majority decide on is what we all see.

b) screw you guys, I'm watching 'The Mummy'/libertarian method
    Each of us go see whatever interest us most. Afterwards, we hook up at the Tim Hortons to have coffee, consume many donuts and chat.

c) mortal combat
    Each film has one of our members as a champion. Battle occurs using similar rules to the light sabre duel during the original lineup. Prefered weapon would be Hello Kitty hammers -- we've got ours, can anyone else bring one along? Whichever champion is the last one standing -- that is the movie that everyone goes to see.

16. BillDonnel

BillDonnel Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2001

hi, it's actually mikewood... my account isn't working, and it's not letting me create a new one :-\

is "3pm" correct, Tragic? That seems uber-early to be getting a meal & seeing a movie (and be home in time for Polka-Dot-Door!)

Or, did you mean several-hours-of-hanging-out-and-eating, then seeing a 7-ish movie?

My comment on Memento: original and brilliant, but very emotionally draining. you will leave feeling mentally-violated and emotionally ****ed-with. A masterpiece, but not a feel-good-party-time-yeah-it's-summer kinda film by any stretch.

I will definitely be falling into the "screw you guys, I'm seeing SHREK!!!" category :)

(though hopefully at 7pm-ish, not 3? =P )

~theatreMike

17. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    Hey Mike.
    3pm is definitely correct. I figure getting a consensus out of our group is sure to take a few hours ;)

Save for anyone who's off to see Spy Kids at 4, we'll be just hanging about at the parking lot, browsing through the Toys R Us, Indigo, BMV, or munching away on dinner for the few hours before the 7ish shows begin.

If anyone arrives at our usual spot and can't find us - look to the pole for the billboard. This is our low-tech message board. One of us will leave a note there letting the rest of you know where we've buggered off to.

--
    Question for anyone who has seen the films we're debating against. Some films are MUST sees for the theatre. Big picture. Big Sound. Other films are fine to watch at home on the tube. Now - all of the films on the list seem like quality stuff, but is there any which don't necessarily ~need~ to be seen on the big screen?

Knowing will help make the decision a little easier.

18. BillDonnel

BillDonnel Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2001
    Before anyone runs off to see Spy Kids, I should mention that it's being re-released theatrically as a "Special Edition" in July or August with new scenes & more FX [and the inevitable Banderas/Jabba confrontation, we can only hope]

big-screen vs. small-screen:
    - I saw Ginger Snaps at the film festival last fall... fun & original, though it was kinda grainy (even though it was shot on DV, I assume?). And it had a non-ending kinda thing that irked me. Seeing it with the festival crowd was fun, though... the constant cheers & noise made it seem like absolutely everyone in the crowd was a friend/family-member of whoever-just-showed-up-onscreen (or, they were all just big fans of teenagers, perhaps).

I saw that new 35mm print of Baraka at the Bloor Cinema last night... ... wow. Now there's something that can ONLY be seen on the big-screen.

See u-guys this afternoon, then... browsing sounds good... I need Shrek toys 8^)

- mike -

19. Darvin11

Jan 17, 2001
    Just by the by, Gingersnaps was shot on 35mm film not DV.

I HIGHLY recommend this film to anyone and everyone.

3 pm today huh?

I will definitely see if I can make it.

Robin T.

20. krax_13

krax_13 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 13, 2001
    I'll be there, but I may be late... I'm also in the 'see shrek' camp. We _will_ win the mortal kombat :)

21. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    i too will be late and want to see shrek.

If I have to face myself in a mirrored deathmatch, then I'll secure a vote for shrek!

Adam-the-Indifferent vs. Adam-the-Indifferent

ROUND 1-FIGHT!

22. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Both warriors just stand there shrugging their shoulders, indifferent to the chanting of the gathered hoards... "Two go in. One film picked. Two go in. One film picked." They continue to stand, when suddenly one of them, in a rare occurrence, forms an opinion! He runs at the other, just as the national anthem starts *hum it with me now* Moments later, only one remains standing, there is some sobbing heard from somewhere in the crowd.

"Finish Him!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.