main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM Chapter 38: The Conflict Continues DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Moleman1138, Feb 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Until the release of ROTS on 5/19/05, I would like to discuss TPM chapter by chapter on the DVD. There are 47 chapters to discuss over the next eight months, excluding Chapter 1: Opening Logos, Chapter 2: The Phantom Menace and Chapter 50: End Credits.

Each discussion will last 5 days. At the end of 5 days, the following chapter will be posted.

Chapter 38: The Conflict Continues
    DISCUSSION: February 20, 2005 - February 24, 2005
    DVD TIME INDEX: 108:01 - 110:17

Synopsis:
    The N-1 starships fly towards the Trade Federation blockade but are intercepted by a fleet of Droid Fighters. The Bravo Squadron checks in with their leader. The dogfight begins. Back on the plains of Naboo, OOM-9 orders a cease fire on the Gungan shield. Out of the MTTs come a legion of battle droids entering the battle. The battle continues in space. On the Trade Federation bridge, the droids are activated from the source. The droids get into formation and charge their enemy across the plains. The battle droids breach the shield and fire upon their Gungan enemies. The battle continues. The Gungans release numerous blue energy balls, only doing minimal damage to the droid army. Jar Jar tries to throw an energy ball, but can't. Back in the Theed Hangar, the Naboo control the vicinity. Padme decides to head for her throne room and confront and capture Nute Gunray. Anakin feels left out until Qui-Gon tells him to stay there. They head for the entrance. END OF CHAPTER

Opinion:
    The Battle for Naboo continues on numerous levels. Getting back to the space and land battles, we get to see the spectrum of this climatic spectacle. Pretty good series of events leading up to the reason to love this film.

The initial sequence of the space battle reminds me so much of the first film, but doesn't have the same feeling. A New Hope's space battle meant much more. This like the land battle are just diversions only to capture the Viceroy. But in a way, wasn't that how Return of the Jedi was set up. I love how the battle droids are controlled from the control ship making everything more intertwined.

The land battle isn't that bad either. When I saw the thousands of battle droids get into formation, I cheered. The score at this point is just incredible. As far as the blue energy balls, it's not something I'm too happy about, but since Gungan weaponry was so ill-conceived for this movie, it's forgivable to some extent. Jar Jar just acts like a complete fool throwing the ball.

It's a split chapter, but ends on a good solid note, getting back to the core of the battle. Anakin already is trying to defy Qui-Gon's orders. Then they approach the doors and we know what happens after that. Good chapter, could use a little bit of tweaking.

2. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    My favorite part had to be the gungan battle.

3. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
  4. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    the battle of gungans vs droids is necessary to the plot of the story but not a favorite of mine despite all the great ccg. we've all become so jaded with such great expectations that we have lost that sense of wonder. this is the only time it negatively affected me - well, not exactly negative- i just want to get back to the story and that surely isn't the reaction lucas wanted. not sure if this is part of this chapter or next but i really like the looks of the naboo set and also how queen amidala, captain panaka and several others gain entry into the palace - like they are scaling mt everest.

5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    After 6 years, it's still a great scene, although ir's better to see on the big screen than on my tv screen.

6. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    It was so odd to see such a colorful battle in Star Wars. Everything looked so beautiful in the Naboo fields. Not seeming like a war. Not sure if that helped or was distracting.

The droids activation was cool. One of my favorite parts of TPM.

7. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    The battle scene was ment to do several things... to show the Gungdians sacrafice and bravery during this time of war. To not have it included, would have been a disservice to characters.

It also shows the true threat of the Battle droids... while less than effective aginst a small agile commando team.... as an army, it is VERY formidable. Queen amidal MAY be able to capture the Trade Federation leader... but unless those the command ship is taken out, the army will finish the Gungains and head back to the capital. Here is a TRUE gauge of when the battle is over.

Lucas in particular is VERY daring. He divided the action up into four ... ANAKIN, Obiwan and Qui-Gon, Padme, and Jar Jar. These in fact represents the entire spectum of what is at stake. ANkin- representing the hope of the galaxy, Jedi- representing the power of good, Amidalia, representing the Republic, and Jar Jar.. the everyman.

8. JMZ

JMZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2003
    Loved this chapter. The droids standing sent chills down my spine the first time I saw it. And when they start marching towards the Gungans, their steps are set perfectly with the score so that they maintain the beat. Loved it.

I must say that I rather thought TPM was the entire OT. See this:

TPM - Planet has been taken over by Sith.
    ANH- Galaxy has been taken over by Sith.

TPM- Queen rescued by Jedi, all fight to get away from the Trade Federation in the Naboo Royal Starship.
    ANH- Princess rescued by Luke, Han and Jedi Obi-Wan (she couldn't have escaped without him), all fight to get away from the Death Star in the Millennium Falcon.

TPM- Queen and Jedi conceive plan to take back Naboo and get rid of the Trade Federation.
    ROTJ- Princess and Alliance conceive plan to take back the Galaxy and get rid of the Empire.

TPM- Queen defeats Trade Federation.
    ROTJ- Alliance defeats Empire.

The OT in one film. Nice.

9. Tyranus_the_Hutt

Tyranus_the_Hutt Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    Taken purely on a technical level, this chapter is astounding to regard simply for its visual delights and energy; in terms of its conception, it does leave a little to be desired. I must agree with Moleman1138: the notion of the blue energy ball devices that the Gungans use was simply a bad idea - not only is it underwhelming to see these silly orbs disable battle droids with great ease, it provides yet another opportunity for the Gungan tomfoolery which undermines the dramatic importance of these action sequences. Overall, the Naboo battle scene (at least what we see of it in this chapter) is functional, but as lovelucas has eloquently stated, it leaves us with a desire to move on with the plot. The beginning of the space battle, is, as others have noted, a deliberate nod to "A New Hope", and while the visuals here are far superior to those of the 1977 film, the sequence never seems to take off (excuse the pun) in the way that it should - perhaps that has a little to do with how Anakin's "heroics" are handled, a matter that I will address in a later post. Still, as I have mentioned, if you regard these sequences on the terms of their visuals, there is plenty to be admired; that's how I watch them, and therefore they become wondrous.

10. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Where is the next chapter discussion? :(

11. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Thank you for all your participation in CBC (Chapter by Chapter). TPM Chapter 39: Duel of the Fates DISCUSSION will be made available 12:00 AM EST. Although the discussion timeframe has passed, you may still discuss this chapter at your convienience. However, we will be moving on to the next chapter.

-Moleman1138

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.