main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Trak's Stuff - Updated 11/17

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by TrakNar, Apr 22, 2011.

1. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Wow, you have been busy!!!

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Yep, I've been getting into the habit of drawing sketch cards. Now, if only my wrist would allow me to draw more than one or two a day before becoming a problem...

Anywho, I have more.

[​IMG]

Corran for the EU Challenge.

[​IMG]

Jabba stuffing his face.

[​IMG]

A Tusken Raider.

[​IMG]

Chewbacca.

[​IMG]

Cad Bane.

[​IMG]

Guri, for the EU Challenge.

[​IMG]

Xizor, for the EU Challenge.

[​IMG]

An obscure little insect Jedi from the Young Jedi Knights series, whose name I can't recall.

3. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    You really put a lot of sweat and effort into that EU challenge. I hope I am healthy enough to do at least the once for Wedge in the weekend.

4. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    You are really on a roll here. I do love the strong contrast of the pieces and not to mention some SOTE love there. The lil alien is cute though I haven't seen those species before, wish I could help with the name.

Be sure to rest your wrists! Don't want them to burn out and break on you!

5. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I found out more information on the little insect Jedi. He came from Junior Jedi Knights: The Golden Globe, was never named, never given a gender, and there were two. They were described as "large black flies" and they "buzzed happily" when they lifted their weights.

These sketch cards are addicting to draw, and I've been wearing a brace while I draw, so that's been saving my wrist. I have four more, drawn within the passed couple days.

In order of drawn:

[​IMG]

Watto

[​IMG]

Poggle the Lesser

[​IMG]

Wedge Antilles

[​IMG]

Beyghor Sahdett, also known as the Verpine Jedi.

The insects are the most fun to draw.

6. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Ahh, that explains it. I didn't know there was a JJK series, I'm only partially familiar with the YJK series. You could always create a name for the species for your use until.. or if an official name comes out.

I really should try doing sketch cards, I'm keen on trying them out. I love you latest set. Good seeing Watto again and Wedge is my favourite Rogue Leader. Your comment about insects and the Verpine Jedi got me thinking of armour... I should write the thoughts down somewhere so I don't forget when I get time to draw.

7. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Once you start drawing sketch cards, it may be hard to stop. I measure and cut my cards from Bristol board. A 9 x 12 sheet can yield nine cards. So far, I've measured and cut three sheets of board, and I'll soon need to measure and cut a fourth, as I have about four or five cards left in this batch.

8. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    That's quite good, I can work quickly with the smaller size though sometimes I end up using all of the space depending on the subject matter. How are you finding the inking process? Does the board absorb the ink well or does it spread/run?

9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Bristol board is great for inking. Comic art boards are generally the same type of paper as Bristol board, and they hold inks very well. I've used acrylics on Bristol board before without a problem. It's very versatile.

10. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    What size are those nice cards in centimetres?

11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    8.5 x 6, give or take a few millimeters. My measurements aren't perfect, so the cards aren't all the exact size.

12. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    You have some really nice details in your cards and great contrast! You said you were using ink for these?

Also, I recently discovered something pretty neat that might save you with cutting up Bristol board for your cards (that can get tedious after a while). Strathmore now makes pre-cut "artist trading cards" in different paper weights for a variety of media. I saw them at Michael's the last time I was there and I picked up a few packs of the Bristol vellum ones to try them out.

Here's a link for them at Dick Blick: http://www.dickblick.com/products/strathmore-artist-trading-cards/

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm using inks, mainly. Pigma Microns and Faber Castell PITT artist pens, their eight-piece "manga set." Nice selection of gray brush pens.

Hm... those card packs are cheap! Looks like I'm gonna buy some cards! Thanks for the link! I rarely am able to get anywhere near an art store these days, as I lack a car and getting my dad to drive me is nigh-impossible, even for just local trips. I'll need to pester him for a trip to AC Moore.

As for the ones I've cut myself (which are nowhere near perfectly straight in any way and are various sizes)... I'm tempted to sell some of them, or pack them in an envelope and send them to Topps.

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Well, I'm still using my hand-cut cards (have one more left), but I bought pre-cuts. In the meantime, I've got a few more cards drawn.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Working my way through the Empire and other galactic scum.

EDIT: Oh, here's some others that I haven't posted yet.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Kyle Katarn and Callista were already posted in the EU challenge, but here they are again.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Lord_Dubi

Lord_Dubi Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    All of these are great, good job :D

16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks. I'm now using the pre-cut Strathmore cards. Aside from simply not having to cut my own, and the cards not having my hand-drawn guides from when I cut my own, they feel pretty much the same in terms of texture. They feel slightly thinner than my regular Bristol board, though.

Anywho, working my way through the bounty hunters...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Corellian_Outrider and Goodwood like this.
  17. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Great sets of cards and I have begun on them too. Thanks for giving the size. Found out that the cards used on our archive-boxes are a few millimetres larger but very nice to work with

18. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    These are really spectacular! I love the bold, high-contrast look you've achieved with ink and brush pens! Would love to see more Expanded Universe characters!

Keep up the great work!

TrakNar likes this.
  19. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks. I'm hoping some day to become official and have my name in red. Just waiting on that call from Topps... I send them images every month, so it's not as if they'll forget about me.

20. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    That is absolutely stunning work.

Here's to more exposure for the less-memorable figures. Will you be making a Cal Omas card?

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    He's currently not on my to-do list. I could add him, though. I have a few characters queued up, first, and then I plan to tackle characters randomly again. Unfortunately, since Cal has a canon face, I can't go the Dr. Claw route anymore. :(

22. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Bugger that. :p

TrakNar likes this.
  23. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Dark and wonderful, as your Bedlam story! =((

24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Got more sketch cards. Two for the Sketch Jam and a Palpatine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went nuts with the stippling on Palpy.

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    A couple of sketch cards from the Sketch Jam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're a bit... too happy.

Lord_Dubi and Corellian_Outrider like this.