main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Transformers Score

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Barriss_Coffee, Jun 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I am in love with the Transformers soundtracks. If they were mortal I would marry them. Alas they are not, but still hope to find some loophole in the law and elope with them.

The new soundtrack is going to be released soon. I plan to have a marathon beforehand and listen to all the songs on the previous two albums. Who's with me?

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Eh, I'll pass. Zimmer's music is directly proportional to the quality of the film itself if you ask me, and neither of his Transformers scores are very interesting IMO. You know, like the movies aren't.

Good Zimmer: The Rock, POTC 1 and 3, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Tears Of The Sun, parts of The Last Samurai.

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    The Transformers scores aren't by Zimmer at all. They're by Steve Jablonsky.

And perhaps the quintessential Zimmer action score, The Rock, is mostly Nick Glennie-Smith.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the first Transformers score. Nothing mindblowing but certainly entertaining easy listening.

Barriss, if you're interested, Brian Tyler also has some clips from Transformers: Prime on his website.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Oh interesting -- thanks Mastadge! I've never paid much attention to Tyler's music aside from his work on the Dune series. This isn't bad... I think I'll check out this site more when I get a chance.

EDIT: DarthBoba: Don't forget his Lion King score! That was what got me hooked on film soundtracks as a kid. And well, Star Wars. But that's besides the point.

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    oh, yeah; love the Lion King score. Especially Scar's main song.

6. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Uh...Circle of Life? Or the Hyena song.

Man, what a classic. Ima go watch it now. :-B

7. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Finally got this soundtrack. I'm... still judging it I suppose. Need to get acclimated to it. It's not exactly what I was expecting, and I can't really put my finger on why. The new themes in this one just seem like watered-down versions of the old ones. Nothing stands out.

I'll listen to it 50 more times and see if my opinion changes.

8. bensmith0363

bensmith0363 Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2011
    I am with you....

9. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I think that between the 3 Transformers scores, there's one great score waiting to happen.

I like the suite of themes from the beginning of Transformers, and then the stuff in the middle: Scorponok, Arrival to Earth, etc. But the climactic action cues, to me, are pretty boring and standard and never seemed a satisfactory conclusion. Which is a good fit, because the beginning of Dark of the Moon doesn't do much for me, but the climactic action cues of that score really step it up and offer epic new renditions of the themes. Throw in the couple good tracks from Rise of the Fallen (or whatever it was called) and there's a decent album to be made from the best bits of the three scores.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.