main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Travel advice

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by DARK_SCORE, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Indeed. And maybe you can see a beach elsewhere in the world - and mountains, but people come HERE to see OUR Mountains!

NZ is so special because we have such varying climates and landscapes that go with them, in very short spaces of time of travel. From 30 degrees in Chch - 1 and a bit hours up to Arthurs Pass and you are in the midst of the Southern Alps.

Yes, this country is bascially just scenery, but we have whales and dolphins at Kaikoura's front door, and seals right next to the road. These things make NZ special.

2. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000

There's equally "stunning" scenery in north America and Europe, with mountains, lakes, beaches, etc. (plus the added unique attractions) and all within a much cheaper travel radius. The reason so many tourists come here is because NZ is advertised by the tourism industry as being "different", etc., but in reality it's not any different from any other western-style country - complete with McD's, K-Mart and Coca-Cola ... we're just a little America. :)

3. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    ., but in reality it's not any different from any other western-style country - complete with McD's, K-Mart and Coca-Cola ... we're just a little America.

except maybe that we have no snakes, 1 slightly poisonous spider, the only native mammal is a short tailed bat, we have more flightless birds than any other country all of which are unique.
    Queenstown contains one of only 2 mountain Ranges in the world that run true north/south this being the remarkables, lake wakatipu goes to a depth that is below sea level and is one of the deepest lakes in the world. In one day you can do 3 of the best bungy jumps in the world in the place where modern bungy jumping was born, Take a thrilling jetboat ride in a boat powered by a motor invented by a kiwi and made right here, visit world beating wineries, stand on a snow capped mountain, see glaciers which are the only ones in the world to terminate in sub tropical rainforest, pan for gold, go rafting, skydiving, take a ride in a classic airplane, and sleep under the most starfilled sky free of light pollution.
    The fishing is great, as are the wineries and several other uniquely NZ attractions, where else in the world can you see a giant kwifruit! Kelli tarltons is a world class aquariam with penguins, the international antarctic center is as close as you can get to actually being there.
    Perhaps these things may not seem exciting but you are also less likely to get mugged raped or murdered than you are in Most western countries. Exactly how much of NZ have you seen Buzz and where do you get off bagging things you probably haven't seen and probably will never do as they aren't "exciting" enough for you.

4. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

Ah ... now I see. So you'd willingly pay $x,000 to travel y0,000 miles to get here just to see " no snakes". Hmmmm ... I don't think so Tim. ;)

5. Enapie

Enapie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 23, 2002
    So Buzz, why did you come to NZ then?

6. Darth_Graal

Nov 19, 2001
    If I lived in a concrete jungle in a snake infested country then yes I would!

NZ has appeal for people that are sick of big city tourism and its associated pitfalls.
    Airfares are not that bad given the number of international carriers now flying into the country.

The exchange rate when you get here is attractive at the moment 1 us$ buys you 1 Euro (approximately) or 2 NZ dollars given that a hotel room in paris will cost you at least 100-150 Euros for a dive plus 10 euros per person for tea and toast yet for the comparative NZ$200-300 you're looking at a decent hotel with a decent breakfast thrown in.

7. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Well, Frank, people do see fit that NZ is a great pace to travel to for their time off and enjoyment. So if you can't see that NZ is great, you're an idiot and perhaps should go back to the UK. People DO spend X dollars and travel Y miles to come here.

DARK SCORE asked for some advice, and you've just gone and totally said NZ is crap. So why don't you go home to the UK? :p

8. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    i'd agree with buzz on some points, there probably isn't much in NZ that is totally unique, except for those damm keas...........but hey, we speak english, have regular toilets, and we like americans.......

9. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

Well ... we speak english and have regular toilets anyway. ;)

10. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    I'll repeat Enapie's post.

So Buzz, why did you come to NZ then?

edit = :p

11. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

Now this is what you call a tourist attraction ... :p
    Dracula Theme Park Sited
    Romania will open a Dracula theme park at a lakeside resort near the burial site of Vlad the Impaler, the real-life Romanian prince who inspired the vampire myth, tourism officials told the Associated Press. After a year of wrangling between building the tourist attraction deep in the Transylvania region or closer to Bucharest, officials announced the park will be built near Snagov Lake, an upscale resort 25 miles north of the capital, the wire service reported.

Estimated to cost $31.5 million, the park's planned attractions will include restaurants, hotels, a zoo, a golf course and a Gothic castle with spooky effects. The park will be built on government land and could cover up to 520 acres, Tourism Minister Dan Matei Agathon told the AP.

The body of the sadistic count, who inspired Bram Stoker's 1897 supernatural novel Dracula, is said to be buried in a monastery he built on a small island on the lake.
    Instead of clipping your ticket, they probably bite your neck. ;)

12. Darth_Graal

Nov 19, 2001
    Ha Ha and its only open during the night ;)

13. DARK_SCORE

DARK_SCORE Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2000
    I AM actually pretty interested in seeing the scenery - I mean, that's kinda what makes a place unique isn't it? If I wanted to see Disneyland I could go to California, Florida, Paris or Japan. I want to see what's unique to NZ...

However, my schedule now means that it might be tricky to fly 'away' from Malaysia so I might need to change my plans...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.