main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Trisha Biggar book "Dressing a Galaxy: the Costumes of Star Wars"

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Woofer, Mar 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    Overstock.com was doing them for $182.50, if you ordered back in August or so (they are just now shipping), so the price is going up. I don't think that there will be a much lower price. Almost all the discounters canceled the lower price pre-orders.

If your paying full price SideShow still has them in stock http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=2122&source=starhome which should be the Limited Edition Autographed Book.

2. darthlrrp

darthlrrp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2005
    QueenAmidalaEP1, you are making me drool with those pics!!! lol--i am sure everyone who has the book or is gonna get it must be so excited

3. Obi-WanQuadinaros

Obi-WanQuadinaros Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2002

If you've never ordered from Overstock before, there's a 12% off coupon, or 10% off for everyone else.

4. TanSei

TanSei Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2005
    I'm getting a nervous breakdown here.

I ordered the book from play.com which delivers for Finland.

For ages the site had it: waiting for delivery of stock.

Then it changed for: due for release 25/11/05

On 25th of November, it changed back to: waiting for delivery of stock.

and I was getting ready for opening the champagne...back to waiting...and waiting.

5. Aure

Aure Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 30, 2004
    Me too. I ordered via Amazon.uk. In addition to that, both Suomalainen Kirjakauppa and Akateeminen are able to order it from the European publisher, so now I am thinking the possibility of changing my order there.

Hope you get your book soon!

6. TanSei

TanSei Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2005
    Thanks Aure for the info on Suomalainen and Akateeminen.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, but...this really is getting ridiculous.

7. koolduede

koolduede Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2005
    i no this has nothin to do with the book i just was wonderin what do yall think about my ooak padme im workin on is it good crapy please tell mee...................http://img276.imageshack.us/my.php?image=padme0068yr.jpg http://img276.imageshack.us/my.php?image=padme0035yw.jpg http://img276.imageshack.us/my.php?image=padme0097lq.jpg

8. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    You might get a better response about it in this thread http://boards.theforce.net/costuming_and_props/b10019/15595324/p1/?204
    Its devoted to doll costumes. Looking good so far.

9. koolduede

koolduede Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2005
  10. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    The book arrived in perfect condition, pristine and unopened. =D= I purchased it from Alphacraze.com, an Amazon merchant for only $206. :cool: It's a high number in the series, and a lot of swatches are absent, but Kristin was very happy with the green devore velvet fabric swatch and the sample of beading from the "Revelations" dress. I'm thrilled to have gotten samples of the Jedi fabrics, too. [face_dancing] Darth Vader's cloak is wool crepe -- what a well-dressed Sith.

A beautiful book and a fitting wedding present for my Costume Queen. [face_blush]

11. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Sounds like a good deal Will :D
    Glad you could find a book for Benae.

I also have some good news:
    Our friend in the US just emailed: My booked arrived today!!! :D

As I told you before, we purchased it from overstock in midaugust.
    I still can't believe that it's only taking a few more days till I'll finally have it in my hands...

:D

12. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I geeked out over Kristin's copy. :D There's a bee-yoo-tiful shot of Padme's Naboo nightgown - you can actually see details of the snowflake design! Though I wish I'd known a while ago that Trisha used panne velvet. :oops: Looks like she really loves velvets in general.

13. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Mine arrived at Barnes & Noble today! I have to be patient and wait an extra week to buy it (so I can get the additional discount during employee appreciation week). :D

14. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Will, what do you mean by "a lot of swatches are absent"?

15. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    I can't complain too much becuase Will finally got it for me (and at $100 cheaper :) )

Swatches I got...
    3 Obi Wan materials
    1 Neimoidian Gunner (black)
    3 Green Devore Vevet (Lining, Velvet, and Underdress)
    3 Neimoidian Aide
    2 Burgundy Cut Velvet (Beads and textured type)
    All 6 Bail Velvet Senate (nice stuff)
    All 5 Anakin Materials
    All 4 Palpi Materials (the lizard like one)
    2 Peacock fabrics (velvet - a very tiny peice, almost missed it glued to the card lol - and lining)
    5 Handmaiden Materials (just missing one lilac colored fabric)

There are a lot of swatches, but there are also a LOT of empty spaces

no Padme senate material
    no Padme wedding material (understandably)
    no Zam material
    no Padme Black Travel dress
    no Padme disguise material
    no Jango material at all
    plus a few missing swatches from the other costumes

I guess I was hoping for a few more Padme swatches :(

The swatches could have been planned a bit better, making sure to have enough material to cover every booklet. They're a decent size except for the Peacock velvet (mine is about a 1" square that blends into the print its glued on lol.

16. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    But that's standard for all the books, right? Not everyone gets every swatch.

(I'm seriously considering ordering from this guy, I just want to make sure it's the same everyone else gets.)

17. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    It's the same as what everyone else gets, it came just as all the others do (with a BIG protective outer cardboard box), mine was unopened and shrink wrapped). I think because mine was a higher number, there may have been a few less swatches than earlier numbered editions (2166/2500). I would order from this guy if I were you, it was shipped fast and arrived fast (Priority Mail).

18. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    wow,
    I have book #1729 and I have the same exact swatches as you do BQ

I wonder how many books actually have the different swatches and what numbered books have the different ones.

19. Wynterjedi

Wynterjedi Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2005
    I got a signed copy from Sideshow no#339 and I didn't even get as many swatches as those of you with higher numbered books.

I got:

3 Obi-wan
    4 Anakin
    3 Padme Devore Velvet Gown
    1 Padme Burgundy (just the textured velvet, I was hoping for a beaded piece as well)
    2 Padme Peacock
    1 Neimoidian Gunner
    3 Neimoidian Aide
    5 Handmaiden
    All Bail Organa swatches
    All Palpatine swatches

and of course no
    Padme Senate
    Padme Wedding (that I understand because there wasn't even enough for the dress - they had to fill in pieces)
    Padme Black Travel Gown
    Padme Disguise
    Zam Weasel
    Jango Fett

The thing I don't understand from having read the book is why would they have offered samples of all the ones we got nothing from because, they were all either hand made or limited Vintage materials - there was no way they could have given sampleso_O .
    They would have been better off - with Padme outfits - like the Steel Silk Night dress, the Agua Georgette, The Action Outfit, the Taupe Action Outfit, even the Under Dress for the Parade Gown - materials that they had more of. I mean granted they are more simplistic - but I would have been happy with them.

Ah well I love it anyway and I'm really glad to have a signed LE copy as well as a regular copy just to look through all the time.:)

20. JediMistress

JediMistress Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 1999
    Well Praise the Maker! Overstock.com said it is SHIPPING my book! FINALLY! WOOHOO! :)

21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm thrilled for everyone who has gotten their books and I'm crossing my fingers for everyone who hasn't to get them soon!

So far it would seem that everyone posting here has recieved basically the same array of swatches. Mine are exactly the same as Benae's. I'm happy to have them, but it would be great to hear about someone getting the other ones for a change.

I was a tiny bit disappointed in the condition of a few of my swatches. Some of the velvets are quite smashed from having been under the weight of the book. Oh well, they're still drool worthy. :)

22. JediMistress

JediMistress Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 1999
    I GOT IT I GOT IT! FINALLY! WOOHOO!

23. koolduede

koolduede Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2005
    heres my pixs for my fabric swatches for the padmes green cut velvet i got 3 out of the 5 swatches. http://img287.imageshack.us/my.php?image=book001ggg1aw.jpg

and the peacock 2 out of 5
    http://img287.imageshack.us/my.php?image=peacock3jl.jpg
    and the burgundy velvet i got 1 out of 5
    http://img287.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bvelvet1iu.jpg
    ill post more latterand close ups on all them

24. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Just got a mail that amazon.co.uk is sorry but my shipment will be delayed, hopefully they will send the book within 2 weeks. :(

25. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Honestly, I don't know why they even teased us by making us think we could get swatches from some of those costumes, because I don't know anyone yet who has gotten any swatches from these costumes:

Padme senate
    Padme wedding
    Zam
    Padme Black Travel
    Padme disguise
    Jango material

I bought JediKai's book, and she got a signed FIDM copy, so presumably a lower number - and I think I got approximately the same swatches as everyone else is reporting. The only person I have seen who got anything really different is a friend who got an amazon copy. I'm not sure what number his book is, but for the Burgundy ROTS Padme costume, he actually got a velvet embroidered swatch. It's the only one he got for the costume - but it seems rarer. It seems like most people get the beaded swatch and maybe the lining. I think I got everything BUT the velvet. Wierd how they doled the swatches out.

It just seems like if they didn't have any wedding fabric to give out, then why include it at all in the booklet? It's *mean*! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.