main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tusken Aspirations

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by mcshinigami, Feb 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcshinigami

mcshinigami Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2010
    Hello,

I'm new here to the boards. For quite a long time now I've been wanting to make a realistic Star Wars costume. I started when I was about 15 and made a Sith outfit with a lightsaber (you know, the usual 15 year old stuff, lol). I kind of got out of making costumes a few years ago, and recently have decided that I'm old enough, and more willing to dedicate the money to making something nice looking. I got to kicking it around the internet, and finally decided that I'm thinking a Tusken Raider costume would be the best choice for me right now (thinking of cost, and difficulty). I've mainly been using TK-409's site and links for ideas.

Today I went out and bought some duck cloth, the dark khaki variety. I started working on the leggings for it (I'm following his idea of covered tennis shoes, with a wrap over the calf) and after some cutting, and washing, and sewing, I've come to the conclusion that I'm not really entirely sure how to get a good weathering effect on the fabric. I've made it a bit lighter, and it's really nicely frayed on the outsides, but I need to make it look dirty.

I've read a lot of ideas on using tea staining, and Rit Dye sprays, and watered down acrylic paints on it, but was curious what people here might have for suggestions. I kind of want the end result to be pretty similar to TK-409's Tuskens that he has pictured. It almost looks like they might be a little greasy or something? I'm new to the weathering, and more advanced costume touches one might do, so any help is welcome.

Also, after reading more about it, and seeing the local garrison, I'm kind of interested in possibly attempting to join the 501st when I'm done with this costume. I was just wondering if anyone here was a part of that, and their thoughts on the organization. It sounds to me like it would be a great place to meet similar minded people in real life, give me something positive to do, and a way to help the community out.

And finally (oh man am I long winded), I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on Tusken Raider helmet "kits". I've seen a few out there, and the prices vary. The Godzilla one is pretty tempting to save for, but one person said they could hook me up with the materials for $125. Is it something where you basically get what you pay for? Or is there another cheaper way to get a quality kit? I'm down for an investment in this, I just like to know my options, and save when possible.

Thanks guys, sorry for the length of this for only a few questions.

2. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    PM sent.

- Bill

3. mcshinigami

Feb 17, 2010
    Thanks for the tip on that. I actually had seen those masks before, but ruled them out almost immediately because they don't came with a back piece... but THEN after going back and checking out the link you sent me, I read more. And saw how the back piece works. I like the idea, but it would still leave me with a place to get accurate looking tusks, spikes, and a nose piece. Any sort of ideas for people who sell them separately? I was kind of hoping to get actual metal ones, rather than making PVC or plastic ones. Thanks for all the help, I'm pretty sure you just saved me some cash.

(Sorry. I'm new and can't reply to PM's yet apparently)

4. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    I had just asked one of the RL guys about this very thing, since I am working on a completely different project. I was thinking that a Tusken mask would work great for the foundation of what I am doing. He even suggested the ones I referred you to because they will save me a boat load of money on the project. I am all about paying it forward, ya know.

I would look up Tusken Raider masks on ebay and contact those who are selling them. The dealer of that high dollar one I was telling you about may be able to sell you the other parts that you are looking for. It might be worth a try.

Good luck!

- Bill

5. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    First off, welcome to the boards. :D

I don't have any help as far as the Tusken goes, but I can help with the sending PMs. ;)

Over in the Welcome New Users board, there is a thread that allows you to essentially spam until you get 20 posts. Here's a link to it. Just go post over there until you've hit 20 so you can start replying to PMs. :)

6. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Also, if you didn't know, the Tusken Detachment of the 501st has their own message board here: The Krayt Clan

7. mcshinigami

Feb 17, 2010
    Thanks guys.
    I had emailed Godzilla (the guy who makes the expensive kits) and got the direct prices from him for the kit, I'm pretty sure he'd sell me the machined tusks, spike, and nose separately, but I'm willing to guess it'd still be a pretty expensive route to go.

I'll have to check out that forum so I can get my post count up, thanks for the heads up :D

I had seen that forum about the Krayt Clan, but was hesitant to sign up because I'm not part of the 501st. Do you know if it's ok I sign up? I really want to talk to someone affiliated with the 501st and get some insider knowledge, but I'm at a loss to where I can tap into that information without being a part of it myself.

Also, I have finished the leggings of my outfit this week and weathered them the best I could manage. Is it ok to post pics or links on these forums? I was hoping I could show them, and maybe get some feedback/critique.

Thanks again for all the help. This forum seems like it has a lotta people to get good information from. I'm glad I found it.

8. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Of course it's fine to post progress photos and such. :)

9. mcshinigami

Feb 17, 2010
    Cool.

So I JUST finished the legs now. Instead of doing the rain boots + cloth = tusken leg, I decided on doing it the way TK-409 has on his site... which is basically making a calf piece, then covering shoes, and have tails running off of it that will wrap up the leg as well... connecting the two.

So far, just the calf part. I only have one shoe half done, and so I'd rather not post it yet.
    Here is two pictures. Note the one with one leg has some Velcro showing... I'm figuring that will be covered up with the wrap from the shoe, if not I'll have to change the positioning.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/djshinigami/Tusken%20Aspirations/0219100048-01.jpg]
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/djshinigami/Tusken%20Aspirations/0219100208-00.jpg]

There's not a lot of feedback I can get yet, but does it look okish for a first time sewer/weatherer/costume maker? I just kinda made a lotta guess after doing some research.

10. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    There is another maker (a FF member). I'll PM you details. Tuskens are a blast. Have fun with the build!

It's absolutely fine for you to join Krayt Clan without being part of the 501st. Like all of the detachments, there are public and 501st-only parts to the forums there. But one of the primary reasons of a det site is to help out new folks.

My first 501st costume was a Tusken. BTW, it is a dual-501st and Rebel Legion costume. And the RL site has plenty of information on their forums also.

Here is my Tusken:

[image=http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Nsy9Ry9bVy4/St3_d82whSI/AAAAAAAAjGc/e0_7gTmbv5U/s800/TR%20poster.jpg]

11. mcshinigami

Feb 17, 2010
    Obey: Thanks for the PM, and I have joined the Krayt Clan forum. Lots of good information/pictures on there. Thanks.

Also: I'd like to update my costume progress. I've taken a picture of my pre-weathered wraps sans gloves and my pre-weathered "shoes".

Here they be:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/djshinigami/Tusken%20Aspirations/0219101351-00.jpg]
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/djshinigami/Tusken%20Aspirations/0219101511-00.jpg]

I think I'm gonna try sewing a piece of foam to the back of the calf pieces though. In that pic I had to stuff socks in there to get it to puff out even like. Does this look ok though (besides it's not weathered?

12. mcshinigami

Feb 17, 2010
    Sorry for double posting/bumping, but I've been trying to figure out a more inexpensive way to make/acquire the head pieces... mainly the tusks, spikes, eyes, and nose pieces. One idea I've heard of/seen is resin. I'm unfamiliar as to what it even is, but I had heard there was resin pieces that someone may be selling. Does anyone know where these can be found (either purchased, or a guide to making)? Thanks again, sorry for stretching out the "help me, I'm new" post. :D

13. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    The Maker I PM'd you about does sell both resin and aluminum pieces (or did). The rest of the pieces you are doing look fine so far. I have seen some "homemade" ones that do not look nearly as professional as ones made by reputable makers. IMHO, it's worth it to spend the money. Those are the details that will make or break your costume, because EVERYONE will be looking at them. Don't scrimp, or it can seriously detract from a good looking costume.

Resin is a plastic-like material that makers use. It is a 2-part blend of materials that cures and solidifies. Make absolutely sure you clean it with soap and water (I use laundry detergent) before painting. They sometimes use a release agent that paint does NOT like.

I attached my arm wraps to my gloves and make it one whole piece. It made donning the costume easier.

You're making good progress. Enjoy the build. :)

14. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    I just saw this on ebay, thought you might be interested in it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/STAR-WARS-PROP-RESIN-TUSKEN-RAIDER-FULL-FACE%2FMASK-KIT!!_W0QQitemZ110495505788QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20100219?IMSfp=TL100219121002r6379

- Bill

15. mcshinigami

Feb 17, 2010
    Obey: Thanks for the feedback. I don't really get what are saying (suggesting?) about not skimping on prices. Are you trying to tell me it's gonna look cheap (aka: less professional) if I get the resin pieces? I'm just curious, I've never seen these costumes in real life, so I really don't know. I was just figuring that with a good cleaning/primer, and some good metallic paint, it would look good. That was just me assuming though. Also, I did contact that seller, and it sounds like he's offer exactly what I'm looking for with amazing prices.

AramysStrael: That's really cool, and that price is pretty great too. I unfortunately won't have the money until after the listing is over. Maybe they'll relist though. Thanks for the link, I never really thought to ebay it up for this stuff, now I know to be on the lookout.

16. AramysStrael

Mar 9, 2004
    You'd be surprised what you can find on ebay, for costuming needs.

- Bill

17. mcshinigami

Feb 17, 2010
    So here's another status update... my boots are pretty much finished now. I promise this is the last update on leg related things. Here's a pic.
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/djshinigami/Tusken%20Aspirations/0222101607-00.jpg]

And then I redid the arm wraps.
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/djshinigami/Tusken%20Aspirations/0222101619-00.jpg]

Hopefully, after this weekend I'll have some shots of the sniper rifle. I think I'm gonna do that, then work on the mask. Finish it up with the robes and accessories. I'm kinda conflicted on my choice for the robes though. I could buy them from a seller, or I could make them. If I buy them, I know they'll look good, but if I make them I'll have the satisfaction of saying that I made the whole costume. So do I want pride with a possibility of lesser workmanship? Or do I want guaranteed quality without the pride? I did some price comparison, and the price is very subtly different (like 10 USD or so). Anyone have suggestions from maybe experience on buying vs. making?

18. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Personally, I avoid ebay for helmets and such, due to rampant recasting. There are a few good suppliers out there, but be careful. There is a lot of info on the Rebel Legion and 501st Detachment about good and bad ebay vendors.

The contact I sent you sculpted and makes his own, so I know he's legit. Other ones out there I don't know as well, but that kit I told you about is the one I made for myself, and would use it again if I ever did another tusken.

As far as the robes... personally I made my own using the Studiocreations tutorial as a guide. As in I worked with a local seamstress and the wife to do it. I can't sew worth a darn... yet. There are a couple of schools of thought regrading Tuskens, and this might impact which direction you go.

One is to make our Tusken look exactly like those seen in the movies. Down to the last detail. If so, then you might be more likely to go the route of buying from someone who does that.

Another route is going with the belief that Tuskens are scavengers in the wild wastes of Tattooine, and therefore should not look like "cookie cutter" duplicates of screen viewed Tuskens. Therefore, there should be personal differences in fabric, look, weathering, etc.

Then, you might want to add some variety, just so you don't look like clones.

[image=http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Nsy9Ry9bVy4/S4ViCyrClSI/AAAAAAAAkHY/V407DPIRgC0/s800/P1020180.JPG]

[image=http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Nsy9Ry9bVy4/S4ViCxs5FWI/AAAAAAAAkHc/XSYj1vOFgkg/s800/Tusken-Raiders-03.jpg]

[image=http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Nsy9Ry9bVy4/S4ViCxQ6oII/AAAAAAAAkHg/2DNuMDQYzSg/s800/cult%20of%20carkoon%20_3_.jpg]

[image=http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Nsy9Ry9bVy4/S4ViDIsqt6I/AAAAAAAAkHo/LYF38HDg8KI/s800/Tusken-Raiders-04.jpg]

Personally, I went dirty. But I like personalizing my kit. Whatever route you choose to go is fine. You're making agood effort, and it looks like you're sticking to the standards. The Rebel legion ones leave room for a bit of difference --note the use of similar throughout the standards:

Tusken Raider - Male
    Required Items:

Fully wrapped helmet/head similar to one as seen in Episodes I, II, and IV: must include cloth wraps, leather/simulated leather mouth-wraps, 2 tapered/straight eye-stalks with 2 slits cut into the underside of each, 4 head-spikes, 2 blood-spitters, 1 nose-piece (tooth) with at least 2 vertical slots, screening/tinted lenses so as not to see the eyes and mouth of the wearer.

Fabric robe of similar color, texture, pattern to those seen in Episodes I, II, and IV.

Breather similar to ones seen in Episode IV OR Fabric neck wrap of similar color, texture, and pattern as ones seen in Episodes I, and II.

Fabric waist wrap of similar color, texture, and pattern of those seen in Episodes I, II, and IV.

Sand-colored cloth/leather gloves.

Cloth arm wraps covering the arms until concealed within robe(s).

Boots/shoes covered with cloth wrappings.

Cloth leg wraps covering the legs until concealed within robe(s).

At least one bandolier of similar type/design as seen in Episodes I, II, and IV worn across the chest/waist.

Gaffi stick OR Tusken Rifle either/both of similar type/design as found in Episodes I, II, and IV.

All elements of this costume MUST BE weathered/tattered to simulate living in a barren, desert environment.

So have fun with it, and go with what works best with the character you are creating. You'll be the one wearing it, so make it be one that you'll be proud to wear. Whether you purchase or build the robes yourself. Hope this helps --and enjoy the build. that's half the fun!

ED: I also just ran across this Tusken that was posted at the RL. It's a good looking one.

[image=http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo272/Lorenzo_Cruz1/Tusken%20Raider%20Project/DSC04317.jpg]

19. mcshinigami

Feb 17, 2010
    Thanks for the good ideas. I appreciate them, it really gives me something to think about. Those pictures are pretty great too. I haven't run into a lot of pictures that are groups of just Tuskens, and those really help me to see the differences in people's costumes.
    Also, I've decided I'm going through that dealer you sent me a link to. The price is right, and what's being offered is more than acceptable. Also, he's been very available for questions, and seems like an overall nice guy. Thanks for getting me in touch with him.

20. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    No problem. :)

He's an active member of our FF, and a good guy. He pulled all of the buckets you see in the group pics above. He did that so we'd have a gool, relatively affordable group costume for a local con. And what is more fun than a batch of Tuskens running arouond? [face_devil]

21. mcshinigami

Feb 17, 2010
    I couldn't imagine anything more fun

22. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I just want to add that when it comes to tuskens I really like the personalized style.

23. mcshinigami

Feb 17, 2010
    It's been awhile since I last posted. I started on my Gaffi stick this weekend finally. All I gotta say is that it's a LOT of work, took a while, but is going to be pretty cool I think.

Here's some pictures for your pleasure.

I went off this reference picture
    [image=http://www.tk409.com/images/tusken/ref/1.jpg]

I started off by heating the 1.25" PVC pipe so I could get a good bend. I heated and cooled it in multiple places over the course of a few hours to try and reduce the folding, but it happened anyway.
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/djshinigami/Tusken%20Aspirations/0320101121-00.jpg]

Stage 2
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/djshinigami/Tusken%20Aspirations/0320101528-00.jpg]

Stage 3 (as it is now)
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/djshinigami/Tusken%20Aspirations/0320101659-00.jpg]

I also cut some blades to be used. I was pretty dumb and for some reason made them WAY off.
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/djshinigami/Tusken%20Aspirations/0320102147-00.jpg]

In between all the madness (while cooling), I made the spike end of the Gaffi. I used a 3/4" PVC pipe, a cut up garden spike (I had to shave the part I wanted to fit inside the tube with sandpaper to get it to jam into the tube), a 1.25" x 3/4" PVC reducer, and a coupler (to make the rings). This part took awhile and a lot was done by hand. I cut the 3/4" PVC pipe (about 11-12" I think), then shaved the spike. I jammed the spike into the pipe and then cut the coupler up into 4 pieces. I took 1 of them and just put it up on the spike end where the spike and tube meet. I took the other one, and sand paper, and shaved the hey out out of it until It got rounded off, like a ring. It didn't exactly fit on the tubing, so I slid it on the non spike end, and had to use a hammer and flathead screwdriver to pound it down where I wanted it. Once it was in the right area I had to straighten it. So to finish this spike end off, I took my reducer and had to modify that. I once again used sandpaper by hand, and shaved the ring down until the entire thing fit snugly in the tube on the non bent end.
    The pipe on that side also needed a lip. I heated the end of the pipe up for a loooonggg time. I was lucky I had my Tusken gloves/arms finished, I wrapped u one arm in that, and just kept heating until it was nasty discolored. I then took the super hot end and smashed it down hard on a flat surface. I then spent the next 10 or more minutes holding it into place to form a good lip. I think it worked out pretty good, but it's not as even as I would have liked. I'm not as patient as I should be sometimes.
    This brought up another problem though... the coupler I shaved didn't sit even in the pipe anymore. Luckily I tested this while the pipe was still warm. I ended up heating it up again, and as it got really hot an flexible, I stuffed the coupler with the spike end attached into the hole and wiggled it around until it was straight. I held everything in place a while longer (another 10-15 minutes) and then the plastic set really well. I can still pull out the spike end, but that's ok because I was gonna glue up that end anyway.

I have to recut the fins. They are WAYYYY off. I don't know what I was thinking.

Next week I'll be redoing the fins, adding on the club to the gaffi (a wooden "bun" and a funnel, and painting the entire thing. Should be pretty awesome in the end I think.

Looooonngggg reply. Sorry I go into such detail. It's not as complicated as I make it seem, lol/

24. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    You're doing fine!

When you are ready to install the fins, I recommend cutting a channel for them to go into. If you just try to glue them onto the round PVC, they will likely break.

It's looking good, and I'm sure you'll make a good looking gaffi.

25. mcshinigami

Feb 17, 2010
    Well it's been awhile.
    I haven't had a huge amount of progress lately, but I'm close on finishing my Gaffi.
    Here's what the wooden part looks like now:
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/djshinigami/Tusken%20Aspirations/0417102103-00.jpg]

I basically cut out the handgroove design and painted it, then blended in a light misting of black.

And here's the spike:
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/djshinigami/Tusken%20Aspirations/0417102103-01.jpg]

Same thing with the black misting. I plan on doing some glue lines then painting silver over them to add weld looking marks. Both of these bits are going to require a lot more weathering. I had gotten a tip of putting a watered down black paint on a rag and then wiping it over the piece so it would sink into the cracks.

I also "made" the club end using a wooden "bun" and a funnel. It took a lot of work and turned out, in my opinion, terrible. I'm now going to cut off the club end and buy a resin cast of a real one. Here's what that looks like:
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/djshinigami/Tusken%20Aspirations/0417102224-00.jpg]
    And just the club part:
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/djshinigami/Tusken%20Aspirations/0417102107-01.jpg]

Yea... so I think with that other end and some heavier weathering, it should look good. I've also modified my arm wraps, but it was not a cosmetic change. They are easier to put on now.
    Time to start saving for the robes and helmet!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.