main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sth Bend, IN TV Shows and the fans who love them.

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Xmaveric, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Xmaveric

Xmaveric Jedi Master star 5

Nov 25, 2000
    Made this thread as a generic container for any chat about TV stuffs that doesn't warrant its own thread.

To kick things off.... V!

This looks much better than the original. Not to mention the all-star cast (all star if you are a geek!).

Inara Serra from Firefly/Serenity
    Kara/Supergirl from Smallville
    Juliet Burke from LOST
    Tom Baldwin from The 4400
    Alan Tudyk - Omega from Dollhouse, Wash from Firefly/Serenity

2. mercsailor

mercsailor Jedi Master star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    I'm just kinda disappointed they changed her name. I mean.. Anna? Come on.. what's wrong with the original name?

3. TAUNTAUN_WE

TAUNTAUN_WE Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 23, 2002

Oh geez. I'll admit I had to look up the name of the original character, (I can't remember much from the original "V" except Robert Englund), but of course I knew what I would find.

4. atataboy

atataboy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 10, 2005
    Hello all, saw this thread and thought I would chime in.

Not sure why they changed her name, but as long as they don't follow the Battlestar reboot (apologies to the new BSG fans) I will watch. Although I will be sad to not see the snazzy outfits they used to sport :D

5. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002

I imagine I'm not the first to ask you this, but what did you not like about the new BSG? Or is that list too long to fit here? [face_laugh]

6. atataboy

Apr 10, 2005
    Well, my major complaint was that it reminded me too much of other shows on TV. Simply, too much drama and sex/relationships. For me, I need a good balance of drama and comedy. Sex is fine to a degree, but it's not what interests me in Sci-Fi. I like good Sci-Fi stories, not CSI or NYPD Blue (can't stand/couldn't stand those shows either) set in space.

I LOVED Firefly. There was drama and sex in that show, but its most important quality was how it brought you into the world and made you want to know more about as well as giving you attachment to the characters. I don't care for most things Whedon has to do with, but that show really got me. Of course, I only watched the first 6 or 7 seven episodes of BSG to their entirety. I just got so bored with it, I couldn't sit through one more episode. And the few I caught in the middle were similarly unentertaining, so decided to not reinvesitgate.

I guess to sum it up, it doesn't have enough levity and the characters don't possess the qualities that intrigue me (or perhaps the interaction of various qualities), too many characters trying to be hard-core so to speak. I liked the old BSG well enough, but the new one really let me down. It actually reminded me a lot of Enterprise. I was excited at the beginning but I quickly grew bored with it. I know loads of people that LOVE it, but I personally just can't get into it. What's worse is I kind of came back in towards the end and was fairly disappointed with the plot "twist".

7. mercsailor

Apr 18, 2002
    I really don't care that they changed her name for really.. But Morena Bacarin does look more than a little frightening as Anna.

And as I basically love everything Alan Tudyk is in, I'm hoping this will be the same.

8. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    @atataboy: that is a reasonable and well-thought-out answer - not the typical fanboy fare of "it sux b/c it is'nt the originl. omg they made teh cylons girls, wt*??!!"

I stayed with it much longer than you but I too got bogged down after a while, for me it just got a little too complex and hard to follow after I missed a couple episodes about halfway through the series. But I came back for the last season and enjoyed that.

BTW, your screen name is cool. :cool:

9. atataboy

Apr 10, 2005
    I wanted to like it, just didn't do it for me.

I didn't even watch Firefly till after the movie came out. I was going to go check the movie out and then a friend told me I couldn't till I watched the series. How depressed I was to find out it had already been canceled after only a handful of episodes. It was like them canceling the live action Tick all over again. One of the funniest shows I have ever seen, but leave it to Fox to blunder every decision.

I will be interested to see how the new V fairs.

10. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    Uh, er, I am always cautious about BSG (the reboot)

I had the same experience atataboy had. Tho, there were one or two episodes that
    were pretty good. I liked the special effects, and their interpretation of space battles,
    but the new story/cylon .......ok, like TaunTaun said, not enough room[face_laugh]

I have the original plastic hobby models of BattleStar, Viper, and Cylon craft.
    they are the best.

Original series now nostalgic and corny at times, but watchable.

but as a Luddite, I really liked the fact that it was old tech of Galactica that won the day,
    and that Hi-Tech of the Cylons failed. Kinda like an old TV, which could only broadcast,
    the show, no way to hack that vs the new HD, where little pop-up adds appear as often
    as they are purchased.....actually, with very little to limit them........which will lead to
    everything requiring a digital signal...........hey, am I off topic yet[face_laugh]

11. atataboy

Apr 10, 2005
    @tauntaun_we

Oh and thanks for the compliments on the screen name. I hadn't been on the boards for a couple years and thought I would make a new screen name that was more exciting than my old one :)

12. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    /BSGFanboy on

What makes BSG different is that it is a post-apoctalyptic time period. Only .1% of the human race was still alive after a massive nuclear attack. There isn't much room for humor. They usually chose to lighten the mood with sex and/or violence instead.

13. atataboy

Apr 10, 2005
    You know though, things being so grim for them is the perfect reason for humor. Humans socially try to balance everything out emotionally. Studies have shown dramas increase in popularity during times of prosperity or idleness, while comedies increase during times of stress. It gives relief from a situation.

Of course my life has never been calm enough to "enjoy" over dramatization, save for historically based stories (no Pearl Harbor doesn't count :) ) of which many are overly doctored by Hollywood yet still.

Of course, everyone has different taste. For me it was like a BLT without the bacon. Sure, it's still a sandwich but it could have been so much more with the missing ingredient included. :)

14. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002

Ahh yes...the "lettuce tomato" sandwich. Otherwise known as "a salad". [face_laugh]

BTW, I appreciate your contributions to the South Bend board, atataboy. You are the most consistent "newcomer" we've had in a while. I will be nominating you for adjunct status at our meeting next week. :-B

15. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    BSG Movie directed and produced by Bryan Singer.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/08/12/bryan-singer-is-interested-in-a-battlestar-galactica-feature-film/

Lets hope it's not another Superman Returns.

16. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    Have I really been under a rock or is this the first mention of this? Seems like a no-brainer, but it never occurred to me!

Although, what would the story be? I note this in the article: "There is no script for the new Galactica, though insiders have said the feature is to be a complete reimaginging and will stand separately."

So it will be a reimaginging of a reimaginging? That doesn't sound good at all.

17. mercsailor

Apr 18, 2002
    I have a feeling that Edward James Olmos will have something quite vocal to say against this...

From io9

He also mentioned something at the very end of this interview on AOTS, though most of it is about BSG's visit to the UN, I didn't watch the long interview with G4 yet, so there may be more..

18. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    I'm guessing they will forget the Syfy series and do a reboot based on the earlier series. Toasters will look like toasters again, I bet.

And they will stand outside their ex girlfriends house and spy on her.

19. mercsailor

Apr 18, 2002
    According to Variety, it's a go...

20. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    "...the studio indicates that the film will be 'a complete re-imagination.'"

Ugh. This really has me worried. How many times can you reimagine something before you should just come up with an original idea? Can't wait until Star Wars gets "reimagined" in 30 years. :rolleyes:

21. atataboy

Apr 10, 2005
    Yeah, I think that's what's known as beating a dead horse.

Actually I have been talking about a reimagining of Star Wars for quite some time. Where there's money... I think it would be in 20-30 years. My money is on a teen female Han involved in an alternative lifestyle with Leia and to save money on effects, Chewie will be just a guy whose their manager sporting sideburns, a beard and copious amounts of body hair. Instead of being a smuggler, she would be a dancer from the wrong side of the tracks. Luke would have to be a tween boy whose actually the son of a famous galactic popstar and dance sensation DJ Vaydur but doesn't know it. He has dreams of being the top popstar in the galaxy however. C3P0 and R2 will bare remarkable resemblances to hot new mobile devices on the market at the time. Of course it will be dashed heavily with "modern" colloquialisms. Naturally there won't be any blasters or even light sabers. Instead they will battle through dance off competitions held throughout the galaxy.

Nobody puts Han in a corner!

Be prepared!

22. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    Actually I think you are describing the "Ultimate Edition", after the next round of "edits" by Lucasfilm. [face_laugh]

23. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    [image=http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x89/edwardbayntun/gifs/SavingPrivateRyan2.gif]

24. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005

ok, that made me laugh!

25. CarboniteHan

CarboniteHan Jedi Knight star 3

May 11, 2007
    Loved 'V'! Even read several of the novels back in the 80s. Looking forward to it.

Been watching 'Defying Gravity' (on ABC, Sunday's at 10p. Ugh). Stars Ron Livingston from 'Office Space'. Been a great story so far. You can watch some of it on hulu.com. Unf. this last Sunday was the 8th ep. and it was the 'season finale.' Does that smell "canceled" to anyone else? :-( That'd be too bad. It's a cool story with lots of promise.

Can't wait for the return of Fringe, Heroes, and LOST.

Got to meet Olmos at the Chicago Comic-Con. Was cool to get to chat with him. My lasting memory: "Wow! He has such soft hands and a gentle handshake."