main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO Two Towers

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Darth_Athena, Jun 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Athena

Darth_Athena Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2000
    Yes, I know this is not sw related, but I figured it might be of interest.

The Two Towers teaser poster is on display at ronnies, and probably other theaters.

Just figured I'd let you people know.

2. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    I'm about 1/2 thru this book (first time ever reading LOTR)...and I must say, this looks to be a fantastic movie.

[image=http://img-www.theonering.net/images/tt_poster.jpg]

3. Jedi_Tabee

Jedi_Tabee Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 6, 2001
    well geez people, how long do we have to wait til this one comes out?

yeah, I'm not really keeping track...

I really did mean to read those books... I just havne't gotten around to it yet

4. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    Yeah, DA, I've seen several still shots from the Two Towers that really had me drooling. They looked so terrific. I gave the Fellowship of the Ring a 93% grade on all things visual. Looks like they'll continue in that vein.

Seb-x, I'm really envious of and excited for you that you can read them for the first time. I have grown up loving them, from probably age 11-ish I read the entire trilogy on average once every two years or so. Let's see that's a dozen readings. Could even be more. Not sure. But I can never have another first time. Not knowing what was going to happen, etc.

Tab, don't worry, [Zsa-Zsa accent]dahling[/Zsa-Zsa] the Two Towers will be out in DEcember. Only one year between each of the 3 LotR movies. Much more manageable than the 3 years SW waiting periods.

5. quigon_brian

quigon_brian Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    I was going to see the first one, but after what everybody said about how it ended so abruptly, I decided to wait until the third one's ready to come out. Then I just watch the first two and then go straight to the movies. Me and my friends are going to do the same kind of thing when Ep 3 comes out. Watch the first two, go to the movies, then come home and watch the last three. That's if no theaters are having any marathons.

6. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    lol Well, I think I would have much rather grown up loving these books than to have waited until I'm 28 to even crack them open. For whatever reason (bad luck with the teachers I got assigned to), I missed out on a ton of books most people I know read as kids (Mark Twain, LOTR, etc.). Just have to decide how much I want to try and catch up on all these things. Books on CDs for long car trips have been a god send.

I read the Hobbit before I saw the movie, so that was at least a decent intro going into FOTR spoiler free, then after the movie I jumped into the Silmarillion (I guess because time-line wise it's first ?[face_plain] ). As difficult as that was to get thru (picked up tons of steam towards the end), it did make a lot of the subtle references in FOTR & the first 2/3 of TTT stick out for me. Anyhow, I'm really enjoying TTT...I hope the movie follows the book more than they did for FOTR. I can't really see how they couldn't, but I would have never have expected the tweaks they did to FOTR.

7. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Wow, Sebulba, I can't believe you just jumped into the Silmarillion. I've only read it once myself, and that only a couple years ago. For years I kept starting it, not being to get into it, and giving up. But I agree about picking up steam. Once I did get into it, I kept getting more and more hooked. And it DOES help illuminate some of the stuff in the trilogy.

8. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    "I am Smorgas of Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be marinated." ROTFLMAO!! Sorry, just noticed that.

Well, when you don't know any better, jumping into the Silmarillion seemed like the chronological thing to do. Gave me a better idea of what a Balrog was if nothing else. I really enjoyed the reoccurring / running theme of the Oath of Feanor... coincidentally, that theme helped me relate to some things going on in real life, as unlikely as that sounds. lol

9. Jobo

Jobo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2000
    I know this is a bit early, but anyone wanna plan something for it? :D
    _jOBO

10. Jedi_Tabee

Sep 6, 2001
    well... we saw the first one together, might as well make it a tradition ;)

11. Jobo

Aug 14, 2000
    Ah hahahaha!
    _jOBO

12. yodaismygod

yodaismygod Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    you should all be ashamed of yourselves dont see it till it hits the dollar show that way it wont have any chance at beating out ep 2 (or for that matter 3)at money in the box office

13. jedigal

Sep 21, 2000
    Oh, BAH!

I'm happy when Star Wars does well at the box office, but really I just care that their good movies that we fans will enjoy. I don't need the public Opinion poll (which is what that box office scoring is all about, IMHO) in order to feel proud or disappointed in my movie.

And nothing would keep me from seeing all the movies of "THE Trilogy" (LotR) immediately upon their release.

Yes, we could start planning that get together anytime now. So put your thinking caps on, people, and start making suggestions.

Seb, I totally DO understand having things in Tolkien's books relating to real life situations. Here's only ONE example of what happened to me:
    My husband and I were reading the Hobbit together a little over a year ago. Each night we read a chapter out loud, alternating evenings. Well, in our lives at that time we were in the middle of attempting a difficult reconciliation. I had majorly broken trust in our marriage, and we were looking at those issues and trying to get beyond them and remain a couple. Whenever we got to the part towards the end where Thorin is dying, and he calls Bilbo to his deathbed and forgives him, and they reconcile, we both just started first with the tears welling, then tears falling, and eventually we were weeping, and it was hard to keep reading out loud b/c I was so choked up. It was very relevant in our lives.

Other times Tolkien's words have added value to my "real" life, too. I think the reason is b/c his underlying themes are the same themse many of us encounter in our journey through this world.

Cool beans. Good to know, as always, that I'm not alone.

14. Jobo

Aug 14, 2000
    ...yeah. What she said ^^^^ ;) :p
    _jOBO

15. quigon_brian

quigon_brian Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    I just saw the trailer for it attached to MIB 2 this past wednesday when I was in KC again. Unfortunatey, this time I was too busy to see AotC at the DLP theater again. :(
    I guess I should be happy I got to see it once.

16. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    I'll most likely see LOTR around January 6th. That's when I saw it last year, and I went with a bunch of friends. I'll probably do it again this year.

17. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    I can't wait to see this :D I'm so excited!

yodaismygod: TTT is far superior to anything GL could crank out. I'll see TTT five times to every viewing of AOTC ;)

18. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    you think you will like it better than AOTC????????

19. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    I may very well favor TTT over AotC. I can say this right now, though - RotK may be the best movie in history, hands down. I have VERY high expectations for it.

20. dudeman

dudeman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    well who wouldnt have high expectations of it, well with what fotr was like and then watching the previews for ttt, rotk will probably blow every movie ever made (minus starwars) out of the water. as for the series, the lotr and sw should more than likely be the top 2 series ever. am i right.

21. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    ur very right. i liked aotc and fotr pretty much the same. ok, maybe i liked aotc a tad bit more. they are both my fav movies.

22. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    JediJeffro: You just made my list for saying that :D RotK will KICK ASS!

Honestly, I think the SW movies are fairly mediocre. I'm here for the EU ;)

23. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    Ive never heard of such a thing. A fan of StarWars books and comics but not the movies? Pretty strange, for I come to believe EU ruins starwars.

24. Jedi_Tabee

Sep 6, 2001
    please don't get into an EU/canon debate thingy.

We all love Star Wars, that's all that matters :)

Now, as to the movie, I still think it would be great if we could all see it together, make it a tradition :)

25. CuppaJoe

Aug 24, 2002
    I CANT BELIEVE SHE DISLIKES THE FILMS BUT LOVES THE EU!!!!!!!!!! NONSENSE!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.