main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

U.S. booed and heckled at Earth Summit!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by obhavekenobi78, Sep 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obhavekenobi78

obhavekenobi78 Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    During a speech by Colin Powell at this years Earth Summit, crowd members booed several times and began spewing anti-American and anti-Bush sentiment.

Ironically, this years Earth Summit is going to produce an estimated 300 to 400 tons of trash, of which only 20 percent will be recycled. Do you feel that the morons in the crowd have this information and do you think they care, or is this another way to "attack" the United States?

2. Darth_SnowDog

Darth_SnowDog Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    I hate Greenpeace as much as the next guy... but I think it's rather telling that our oil-obsessed president won't even attend the summit.

This is the man whose first answer to the petroleum problem was "clean coal" technology. What's next? "Clean toxic waste"? How very 19th century of him to focus on perpetuating our reliance on fossil fuels and not even speaking one squeak of interest in renewable, zero emissions resources such as hydrogen fuel cells.

Oh well, America, you get what you pay for. For a country that has only 1/20th of the world population, and yet America is the most obese population and produces more greenhouse gas emissions than any other (we produce 26 percent of the world's emissions)... it wouldn't surprise me if 1 out of every 3 Americans dies of a heart attack at the age of 30 within the next five or six generations, and if 50 percent of the population develops lung cancer from the atmospheric pollution. But I'm sure we'll come up with some backpedaling, sweep-it-under-the-rug solution to conceal the source of the problem... our absurdly greedy consumption habits.

It's funny that we think recycling a few cans is going to save us... especially when recycling plants create more atmospheric pollution than the ground pollution they eliminate. One of the byproduct emissions of these plants is a carcinogen called TCDD (tetrchlorodibenzo-p-dioxin)... not only is it a carcinogen, but it is the world's most potent chemical compound... concentrated 150,000 times more than cyanide.

3. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    *waves hand*

You want to save the earth
    Conservatives and Americans are ruining the earth.
    You love earth day
    You dislike the taste of red meat

4. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    During a speech by Colin Powell at this years Earth Summit, crowd members booed several times and began spewing anti-American and anti-Bush sentiment.

nobody deserves that. I just saw it on tv. It was not fair, what the crowd did was childish.

Ironically, this years Earth Summit is going to produce an estimated 300 to 400 tons of trash, of which only 20 percent will be recycled.
    Do you feel that the morons in the crowd have this information

And where did you heard/read those numbers and I've no idea if the "morons" knew that information...

5. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    The Earth Summit achieved very little. Bush didn't even care less about the whole thing. The US isn't exactly environment friendly. I imagine thats why you were booed.

6. Darth_SnowDog

Sep 10, 2001
    1. The earth doesn't need saving. It'll be here long after we're extinct.

2. Actually, last I checked, even conservatives and Americans couldn't, except perhaps only in their most megalomaniacal dreams, stop a 1200km-diameter asteroid from wiping out the entire population of earth in one blow.

3. Earth day is a commercial scheme targeting pseudo-"environmentalists" who couldn't care less about the environment the other 364 days of the year, and get motivated to join the bandwagon based on trendy PSAs from rock stars and actors, not scientists, whose idea of saving the planet is going to a few benefits and recycling a few cans while driving their gas-guzzling SUVs and sipping their teeth-rotting capuccinos.

4. I like the taste of red meat... so does my digestive system. People who say "animals have a right to live" obviously ignore the fact that plants have just as much of a "right", too... and the fact that virtually every multicellular organism consumes organic compounds for fuel. Of course they would only concern themselves with the furry, cuddly variety of organic compounds because they are more reminiscent of us.

In all actuality, people who defer from meat-eating out of some "holier-than-thou" attitude or pretense of "respect" for animals, as opposed to health concerns or conscientious objections to the slaughtering and packing processes, are just being silly... and completely ignorant of biology.

It's as if they're saying some organisms have a right to live, while others have a right to die. Food has nothing to do with "rights" or "morals"... it's about survival... which is the base objective of every organism, whether egotistically-elevated or not.

In the end, most environmentalists are really little more than humanists... fearing that environmental degradation will facilitate human extinction, which is virtually inevitable anyway. I think they ought to get a clue and quit confusing selfishness for enlightenment.

Of course this doesn't mean I think Bush is a genius. He's just as duped as they are. Only difference is they are duped primarily by their egos... he is duped by that, and money.

7. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    Darth_Omega,

Here is the article:

World Summit Generates Tons of Trash
    Fri Aug 30, 4:35 PM ET
    By MIKE COHEN, Associated Press Writer

Darth_SnowDog,

"4. I like the taste of red meat... so does my digestive system. People who say "animals have a right to live" obviously ignore the fact that plants have just as much of a "right", too... and the fact that virtually every multicellular organism consumes organic compounds for fuel."

I believe what tenorjedi was implying, and I could be wrong, is that the consumption of red meat is devestating to the environment. I don't think he was implying anything about "rights".

8. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    actually I was imitating the earth day people on a south park episode. I'm an omnivore and I have the teeth to prove it.

9. Darth_SnowDog

Sep 10, 2001
    tenor: I knew it was a reference to something.. I'm just giving my responses to the stereotypical, undereducated, uninformed pseudo-environmentalist banter.

obhave: What about the the industrial-agricultural overproduction and overconsumption of plant matter? How many habitats are modified, pesticides sprayed, and pollutants emitted (by harvesting equipment)... how many species of organisms have been affected by agriculture, both the harvesting of plant crops as well as the herding of animals?

How many acres of land and how many species of plants does it take to produce the same relative nourishment of one chicken or even a cow? Do that math and then come back and tell me that the herding and slaughter of red meat is a far bigger problem than any other agricultural practice.

10. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    While the booing was a bit childish I think they were right to tell Bush that sending Powell wasn't a good thing to do. You do know what kind of message not attending the summit gives don't you?

The continued booing however, was over the line, that I agree with.

(BTW, seems like most industrialized countries are going to Ratify Kyoto after all, Canada, Russia etc have all agreed to do so, where's Bush's alternative solution I ask...)

11. Rikalonius

Rikalonius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2001
    Vegitarians have no respect for the circle of life.

I was debating one when SHE (of course) began lobbing hateful speach at me for defending hunting. Trying impress her friends with some discriptive gore about a bullet passing through little Bambies heart.

So I asked her if she would rather see Bambie run down by a giant cat who rips it's throat out and chows down on the raw meat, blood dripping from it's chin. Bambie is going to die(period) Cause Bambie is a prey animal. They are herbavores, just like vegitrians, who are prey animals in my opinion to. Prey animals either die by being hunted; by disease or starvation because they are not hunters to keep their population in check; or occasionaly they live to a ripe old age. It's natures way.

Although I'm no fan of most slaughter houses. I actually hate mass produced meat. I think people should have to kill what they eat, teaches them respect.

12. saerah

saerah Jedi Grand Master star 7

May 13, 1999
    http://www.salon.com/politics/comics/2002/08/30/summit/index.html

13. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    You know if someone actually believes that crap I feel sorry for them. People need their drama and a scapegoat I guess.

14. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    http://www.salon.com/politics/comics/2002/08/30/summit/index.html

That was HYSTERICAL!!! [face_laugh]

15. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    That's a bit dramatic don't ya think?

16. Maveric

Maveric Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 1999
    While the booing was a bit childish I think they were right to tell Bush that sending Powell wasn't a good thing to do. You do know what kind of message not attending the summit gives don't you?

That he doesn't take it seriously. How many of the Agenda 21 items that others nations "agreed" to abide by have been initiated?

(BTW, seems like most industrialized countries are going to Ratify Kyoto after all, Canada, Russia etc have all agreed to do so, where's Bush's alternative solution I ask...)

Japan announced recently that they will NOT ratify it.

17. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    No, the message he's sending to the world is that he doesn't care.

Really, that's how people are going to interprent it, and as a politician HE SHOULD KNOW.

18. Rikalonius

Rikalonius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2001
    While the delegates, of Which GW refused to be part of, are eating cavier, steak, lobster, and drink $500 bottles of Champaign, down the road a community of kids are drinking from a pipe in the ground.

Where's Mr Rogers when you need him. Can you say "Hypocrite" I knew that you could.

I'm glad George didn't go, and I wish Colin Powel wouldn't have gone, in fact, I wish we would have told them to shove it, and pulled all our money from the UN.

19. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    yeah because there's nothing more pressing going on right now. 9/11 isn't a week away or anything either.

Good lord people need to look at a calender or something.

20. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    Yes, because as we all know, Sept. 11th is a pressing matter, I'm sure there's gonna be all sorts of terrorist attacks on Sept. 11th, come on, credit these guys with a brain for once please.

Do you actually believe they'll be as stupid as to try something on Sept 11th?

I really doubt anythings going to happen, when you try a terrorist act, you try it when you have some chance for succes, that's not the anneversary of your last major terrorist act, because, suprise suprise, that's when people are most alert. Just like they won't try something on the 4th of July.

Terrorists aren't stupid.

21. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    "obhave: What about the the industrial-agricultural overproduction and overconsumption of plant matter? How many habitats are modified, pesticides sprayed, and pollutants emitted (by harvesting equipment)... how many species of organisms have been affected by agriculture, both the harvesting of plant crops as well as the herding of animals?

How many acres of land and how many species of plants does it take to produce the same relative nourishment of one chicken or even a cow? Do that math and then come back and tell me that the herding and slaughter of red meat is a far bigger problem than any other agricultural practice."

How wrong you are. Do you want the math?

Cornell University

I will summarize for you. The grains used to feed livestock would feed 800 Million people. 800 million.

"Animal protein production requires more than eight times as much fossil-fuel energy than production of plant protein while yielding animal protein that is only 1.4 times more nutritious for humans than the comparable amount of plant protein, according to the Cornell ecologist's analysis.

Grain-fed beef production takes 100,000 liters of water for every kilogram of food. Raising broiler chickens takes 3,500 liters of water to make a kilogram of meat. In comparison, soybean production uses 2,000 liters for kilogram of food produced; rice, 1,912; wheat, 900; and potatoes, 500 liters.

The 7 billion livestock animals in the United States consume five times as much grain as is consumed directly by the entire American population.

On average, animal protein production in the U.S. requires 28 kilocalories (kcal) for every kcal of protein produced for human consumption. Beef and lamb are the most costly, in terms of fossil fuel energy input to protein output at 54:1 and 50:1, respectively. Turkey and chicken meat production are the most efficient (13:1 and 4:1, respectively). Grain production, on average, requires 3.3 kcal of fossil fuel for every kcal of protein produced. The U.S. now imports about 54 percent of its oil; by the year 2015, that import figure is expected to rise to 100 percent.

U.S. agriculture accounts for 87 percent of all the fresh water consumed each year.

More than 302 million hectares of land are devoted to producing feed for the U.S. livestock population

Nearly 7 million tons (metric) of animal protein is produced annually in the U.S. -- enough to supply every American man, woman and child with 75 grams of animal protein a day. With the addition of 34 grams of available plant protein, a total of 109 grams of protein is available per capita. The RDA (recommended daily allowance) per adult per day is 56 grams of protein for a mixed diet."

I could keep going, but I think my point is well made. Perhaps you would like to present evidence to support your argument next?

22. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    Anyway, sorry to move off topic, but I hate when misinformation is pumped out as fact.

Back on track. Rikalonius makes a good point. What you have are these super rich heads of state, fat cats if you will, sitting around talking about conservation. Total hypocrasy.

23. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    wether something happens or not isn't the point, it's still a risk. Plus he's going to dozens of memorials next week and there'll probably be other crap, plus the Iraqi situation and appeasing congress, and the burden of 1 year and still no bin Laden. The economy, etc people want him in the country. The last thing he wants is his constituants to see him chatting and smoozing with other world leaders when there's "a job to do".

The environment is not high on GW's priority list right now, even if other countries can worry about it.

24. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    You think the PM of my country has nothing else to do? Ha, but he atleast took the time to show up.

25. StarFire

StarFire Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2001
    I would venture to say, GAP, that your Prime Minister's making an appearance is much more important to the people of Belgium than Bush's making an appearance is of importance to the people of American.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.