main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Unofficial CE 1.6 - London. "The Hobbit".

Discussion in 'Community' started by Everton, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Which cinema are you at, Richie?

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Greenwich Odeon, but we don't have to go there if another more central London Odeon has showings. Outside of my own work I'm unlikely to be able to get free tickets (at least not for 2 weeks after the film release) but I could still get you cheap Ben & Jerry's :p

I doubt projectionists here know enough about 48fps to know if we will run The Hobbit that way, might only the BFI's Giant IMAX that can do that.

3. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    I would come, but I'm not due to return to civilisation until the end of December. Maybe after that though :p

4. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Make up for it by attending CE2 :p

5. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Will do if I have money.

6. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    And where are you hiding now, Cobra? :p

7. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Yorkshire :p

8. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Oooo, it so happens I will indeed be in London at that time, old Sci-Fi Soc from Uni reunion. Not sure what date we'll be seeing The Hobbit yet, probs not the actual premiere, in which case I'll turn up for the unofficial CE random-fraction-number. :D

To quote Obi, hello there! :p

FIX IT GLEN! ;) :p

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  9. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Hi, Heda! [:D]

10. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Hey Maria! [:D]
    How is good ol' London? :p Are the Hobbit tickets on sale yet?

11. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I'm not in London any more, I'm just going there for a couple of days around this date. :) Hobbit tickets are already on sale, but the 48 fps 3D version still hasn't been confirmed anywhere in London. [face_frustrated]

12. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Okay. Okay. An update from the desk of Maria and Chris. :p 48fps STILL hasn't been confirmed anywhere in London (officially, anywhere in the UK [face_frustrated] ). So here's the situation:
    • If 48fps does come to London, the invitation to go and see it on the Friday (14th December) evening with us still stands. As I said I'll post the screening time we've booked for (as soon as I know it myself) and then anyone who wants to come can book for the same screening. We all go for a drink afterwards and all is well. Easy.
    • If 48fps does not come to London, then the Friday evening becomes just a JC meet. No film. We'll suggest a time and a place and anyone who wants to come is very welcome.
    The reason for this is the tragic lack of 48fps information. It's forced our hand. In order to make sure we see it at the BFI IMAX (the natural fall back position) we've booked to go and see it there in the morning. The evening showings had sold out, and seats at the morning showing were disappearing. We had to act, and other commitments mean that the meet has to be on Friday. If 48fps is announced in London we'll simply cancel the BFI IMAX tickets and proceed as above.

Warner Bros., you suck. You absolutely, completely, suck. Even a clear "no, 48fps isn't coming to London" would've been preferable to this uncertainty. [face_frustrated]

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  13. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Perhaps they are still attempting to determine which places can handle it, I know BFI's IMAX just had a new screen and projector put in so maybe that allows for 48fps.....

I can see it coming to pass that the Science Museum has the only screen capable of doing it, and they don't do feature films :p

14. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    There is a cinema in friggin' Bucharest that confirmed showing the Hobbit in 48 fps. Don't tell me there isn't a single cinema in London capable of that format...

15. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Haha, that's be fabulous, the museum screen is certainly something. :D Though, to be bit pretentious, the whole Science Museum building is a bit too modern... not Tolkienesque enough for The Hobbit screening....
    :p

o_O Seriously? [face_laugh]
    C'mon London, pull yourself together!

Anyhow, a JCC meeting would be fun either way. :)

16. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    According to our head technician who went to a big meeting this week regarding 48fps projection, BFI's IMAX showing said format is "almost certain".
    My place won't do it though, because Odeon doesn't want to pay for the update software :oops:

Leicester Square also seem to be likely to do it, as will Manchester IMAX.

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  17. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Do you know if that means the existing showings at the BFI IMAX (or indeed, Leicester Sq.) will be in 48fps, or that there'll be additional showings put on in that format?

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    If they are getting it, it will be a software update for the projectors. So long as they then receive a 48fps copy of The Hobbit they can show any that they want.

Not sure if there is an additional charge for a 48fps showing or whether they will be advertised seperately.

19. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Well, I choose to be encouraged. Thanks for passing on what you heard. :)

20. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    If that BFI IMAX showing Chris booked for us was in fact in 48 fps, that would be brilliant. [face_praying]

Thanks for the info, Richie! :)

21. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    No problem.

No samples seen so far though, our technician seemed somewhat skeptical this 48fps stuff will be noticeably different aside from smoothing out the 3D effect and reducing motion blur.
    I assume that is why not much effort is being made to upgrade many cinemas, there is no certainty this new format will be popular so it may not be worth the effort spending money on the upgrade.

If The Hobbit in 48fps specifically becomes a high-demand showing I assumed other places will move to get in on the action or at least try to be ready for the next wave of movies in that format.

22. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    So Showcase Cinemas have confirmed a number of their sites will be screening the film in 48fps. None in London (well, one just outside of the M25), but now that one chain has announced hopefully others will follow.

23. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Today I got a "we're currently awaiting details" non-reply from Odeon to the inquiry I sent last week. [face_plain]

24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    This sounds mean to you but I hope it isn't. If you were someone who didn't want to see it in 48 and you showed up and that was the format? Man I would be insanely pissed.

Arclight is showing it both ways, plus in an Atmos sound equipped theatre. I think they also have 3D 24fps.

25. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Well, I already am pissed off that they still haven't announced it officially, so that everyone knew when there was a showing in 24fps and when there was a showing in 48fps and could choose as they liked. Please excuse me while I grab at the straws in the last desperate hope to see it in 48fps. :p