main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Unpopular EU opinions

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Allana_Rey, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Kulvax Sisters

The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2013
    Yes because traitor goes so far as to boldly claim that the force should be destroyed outright and that life is better lived without it.

2. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Here's an unpopular opinion that I hold: KotOR I was rather overrated. For a work that was set in a rather unexplored era, it was highly unambitious in terms of writing and art direction. And Revan's dialogue choices were incredibly uninspiring, whereas the Exile at least got some decent dialogue.

And it's more that Kreia is an embittered individual than the game portraying her opinions as the gospel truth. And I say that as an unapologetic KotOR II/Obsidian fanboy.

3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I have little interest in seeing characters in the PT era enacting the PT.

4. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Man, that's cold, implying that I'm cold.

Honestly, that phrasing took a lot of careful finetuning. ;)

RC-1991 and Zorrixor like this.
  5. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010

Maybe if it wasn't a boring game with characters who spend the game trying to sound wise and come off as weird.

Seriously if a Rodian with a human fetish can "Tell your not do fighting by your stance" then the game needs to look at it self.

Maybe if the game had decent pacing and the first and last planets had more to do then kill things and solve one mystery, that gets very dull in replays, the game may have interested me. But it's a game not a book. The game didn't question anything, 'if you take away the force then a force user is normal', duuu, if you took away Supermans powers he would be normal too. If I wanted normal I would look at real life. Deconstructions rarely work as they writer intended because you need their point of view for it to work.

Also the story is the same as KOTOR, go to these planet to find (or if your evil kill) these Jedi Masters, as a posed to maps the big difference, and then save the galaxy. THe main difference is the obstacles on the planets to over come and the general execution. I feel KOTOR 2 lack the same sense of, for lack of a better term, threat. There was only one attempt to kill me on my ship, which varied depending upon my alignment, I didn't see the enemie agents that often, Malak tried twice, Korriban was full of Sith, Cerka was working with the Sith (to some extent) and Manaan had a lot of Sith as well. KOTOR 2 had, too many enemy factions, so the main threat, either one of the Darths who I spent most of the fighting would have done, got obscured by the others.

Also Keria makes Revan out to be some kind of God, with omnipotent power. The last game showed him as a good, if ruthless, General. But the way Keria talked about him you would think he planed out everything. Revan is over rated and a lot of that comes from, I would have said 90% before the novel, KOTOR 2.

So KOTOR is more like OT then KOTOR 2? How is the jedi order looking in KOTOR? They are battered but still fighting, in KOTOR 2 they are wiped out, just like OT, also the robes and look of the Ravager came stright from the movies, like they did not think any thing changed.

DurararaFTW and MercenaryAce like this.
  6. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I will remind you the Keria was EVIL, you have missed that.

She was insane and wanted to kill EVERYTHING

"All life is touched by the force"

Her plan would have killed all life, Traitor was not stupid nor, as far as I am aware, do it's fans think the crazy villains are fonts of gospel truth.

The main reason I like KOTOR more then KOTOR 2 is because it was more fun, it had the feel of "A New Hope", a bit more sunny.

I think it is a good fun game, not the second coming. It is very unambitious.

7. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, KOTOR 2 was a lot darker because at the time it was obviously meant as the ESB of the KOTOR Trilogy that never was.

tjace and GrandMasterKatarn like this.
  8. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Uh, that doesn't really matter, because that's not the point you made. You stated Kotor 2 was the first material to make us question the basic understanding of the Force, and that statement is false due to Traitor. Therefore, how far off the rails it went from the original understanding is irrelevant. You're still wrong.

Here's an unpopular opinion: I liked that Karen Traviss chose to focus more on the Mandalorians. She certainly wasn't the best writer and I don't like everything she did, but at least they got some spotlight.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  9. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    My unpopular opinions:

Zahn is nearly my least favorite writer of the EU, second only to Karen Traviss.

Therefore, I vastly prefer TCW portrayal of Mandos even though I'm not a huge fan of the show.

I wish there were more stories that didn't involve jedi, sith, or the force at all.

I feel that Jude Watson's young adult series' capture the "Star Wars feel" much more than most of the adult novels.

The Darth Bane novels were miserably bad.

I love books that don't focus on the main characters as much, such as the medstar novels.

My favorite EU novel is Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. (which is ironic, I suppose, since it focuses on a main character)

I'm sure there are more, but you get the gist...

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yoda: Dark Rendezvous actually has a pretty big fandom here.

11. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    That surprises me. I tend to get challenged on that one a lot.

12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I went through a period where I thought KotOR was the pinnacle of practically everything. I got better.

That soft spot I have for it will never vanish entirely, however.

13. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    HEATHEN!!

tjace likes this.
  14. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    KOTOR has its problems, but I would unhesitatingly say it's one of the most memorable games of all time.

Well, be secure in the knowledge that you're right, and they're so, so wrong.

15. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    what

Last planet doesn't count because Obsidian wasn't done programming it when it came out. I love KOTOR 2 but MY GOD the first three major areas bore me to tears. For me the game doesn't really start until you get to Atris's secret base, but that's like ten hours in so it's a real pain to get into the mood to replay it.

Jedi robes are a PT thing.

=((

RC-1991 and Esg like this.
  16. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    1. There is a Rodian shop keeper on Nar Shadda that talks about how your 'stance' tells her you are a fighter but not finished. She implies that she got in trouble for 'something' involving humans, so make of that what you will.

2. The last planet does count. From what I have been able to find, Obsidian weren't going to change any thing on the Surface of the Planet. It still would have just been those storm beasts and the remote part, meaning if you didn't kill all of them your in trouble. I don't mind Telos but I created two saves, one light-one dark, on the Harbinger just so I could skip the first planet.

3. The PT are still movies. unfortunately

You can consider TOR the third part of KOTOR. The jedi story in that is not a bad way to finish the trilogy.

17. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Here's my unpopular EU opinion: Darth Plagueis wasn't that good. I enjoyed it, but was also disappointed; it felt like it was missing something for me.

Jedifirefly5, Gorefiend and fett 4 like this.
  18. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I'm not really a big Stover fan. Shatterpoint was good, but I did not really care for Traitor or LSaSoM.

19. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    What about the Revenge of the Sith Novelization which is considered better than the film.

20. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Only read the first chapter or two at the store.

21. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    You should read the final chapter, when Anakin is put in the suit, tragic stuff.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Well, in the sense that a sequel set 300 years after TESB, in which Han's rescued from carbonite by a group of strangers he's never met, with those guys going on to defeat the Emperor while Han, himself, is killed off by another group of strangers he's never met wouldn't be bad way to finish the Star Wars trilogy.... sure.

23. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I think Drew Karpyshyn should've stuck to video game writing. His novels are not that good.

Revan was disappoint.

tjace and GrandMasterKatarn like this.
  24. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Nice summary, Uli.

And of course now they're trying to inject some Shadows of the Empire-type stuff (an inferior variety, I might add) into the whole shebang.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  25. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Given that Revan wasn't in KOTOR2, your example falls over a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.