main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Upcoming Music gigs

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SithForceLord, Nov 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Star_Rocker

Star_Rocker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006
    Thanks for that JP.
    Yea, they were complaining about the set list being a little unfamiliar. But there is only three songs that I don't recognise, funny that an amp blew at the Waters concert.
    I would have loved to go to both of them but oh well.

2. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001

**** Yes!!!!! w00t

3. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Don't hold your breath :p

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Chili Peppers in April;

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/story.cfm?c_id=264&objectid=10425005

5. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Guess it's official now :) stoked.

And The Police will be visiting NZ and Oz in their world tour... even after the last time at Western Springs, Sting said "never coming here again!" with the drama's of his band. perhaps all that tantric has calmed him down :)

6. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Groove Armada, Gnarls Barkley, Pet Shop Boys, New York Dolls coming to NZ

Five of the headlining acts from Australia's V Festival are set to cross the Ditch and play at Auckland's St James Theatre next month.

New York Dolls, Groove Armada, Gnarls Barkley, The Rapture and Pet Shop Boys are all confirmed to play New Zealand shows next month before their Australian festival dates.

The first concert, on Saturday March 24, will be 70s punk rockers New York Dolls' first visit to New Zealand.

Earning cult status in the 70s for their cross-dressing, glam rock, the band split in 1977 before reforming for the 2004 Meltdown Festival in London.

Electronica duo Groove Armada hit the St James three days later on Tuesday, March 27, promoting their upcoming album Soundboy Rock, set for release in April.

Gnarls Barkley - the band responsible for New Zealand's highest selling single of 2006 - joins forces with The Rapture for a show on Wednesday, March 28, promising a night of psychedelic funk and blues.

Finally, rounding out the week of live music, 80s superstars Pet Shop Boys play Auckland on Thursday, March 29.

Performing in New Zealand for the first time ever, the electropop wizards bring more than 20 years of music with them - from disco to house music.

* Tickets to all four show go one sale this Friday and are available from TicketDirect.

7. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    and Dragon. (Mark Williams on vocals)

Kind skeptical, but obviously sprung from the Acoustic Blue series. Todd Hunter says on that site about the recent "Sunshine to Rain" album;

Todd Hunter's recall is not rose-coloured. "I didn?t think I'd ever come back to Dragon," says the band's founder, bassist, sometime songwriter and sole survivor. "There are such mixed memories for me. There were incredible highs but too many people died. I've spent the last 10 years ignoring the whole thing, it was a lot simpler to get on with film and TV scoring and leave Dragon as a distant memory."

History, of course, cherishes a very different view of New Zealand's beleaguered but brilliant pop chart journeymen. A glance down the track list of Sunshine to Rain recalls one of the most astonishing and emotional legacies in Australasian pop history.

Elegantly recast in classic Liberation Blue Acoustic style, it's a trove of criminally rare nuggets sifted from certified radio gold; 16 indelible strokes of pop genius handled with exceptional care and affection by a new acoustic line-up fronted by the superb voice of NZ rock veteran, Mark Williams.

"In mid 2005 I played bass for a concert at my sons' school and it was such an incredibly enjoyable experience," Todd says. "It really brought it home to me, This is what you do, you big idiot! But, when one decides that it might be fun to play again, the big question is, Well, play what? Then I thought, Hmmm, I know a bunch of songs?"

Funnily enough, a few million other people know the same ones. Are You Old Enough. Still In Love With You. April Sun in Cuba. Sunshine. Rain. Magic. Speak No Evil. Celebrate. The titles are a travelogue of teenage dreams. Each chorus is seared like an iconic photo into the collective unconscious of a generation.

The travesty is that much of Dragon's music had vanished from CD racks even before the passing of Todd's brother, singer Marc Hunter, in '98. The fresh ears and obvious talents of Canadian guitarist Bruce Reid were crucial in rearranging a revered back catalogue with an ear for timeless magic. Drummer Pete Drummond completed an unexpectedly joyful exercise in musical archaeology.

"What is the essence of the song? That was the starting point," says Todd. "Some things came together in surprising ways. Get That Jive, the chords are back to front, but it works. Are You Old Enough? is one live take." It's also one take that proves Mark Williams a worthy heir to some very large shoes.

Speaking of which? it was John Farnham who asked Todd and Johanna Pigott to write him a song in '86, but it was Marc Hunter who sang the demo for Age Of Reason in Bondi that year. Here, for the first time, is his version, a posthumous duet with his gifted 17-year-old daughter, Isabella. To say the least, it's a mesmerising moment of musical and emotional closure.

" This record resolves a lot of things. It gathers everything together in a way that feels right," says Todd. "Everything was so dissolute, out in the ether. It was also about doing all the songs in a unified way, without all the pomp and weird production quirks of former decades.

"There's just something that?s so enjoyable about getting each song into a shape where you can just play it through and sing your heart out, with an acoustic guitar. It's been working the same way live," he adds. "The audience, roaring the songs as loud as the band. It?s sort of like coming home."

oh, and...

NEW CROWDED HOUSE DRUMMER ANNOUNCED
    After what seems like endless drummer auditions and requests for auditions, we are happy to announce that Crowded House's new drummer is Matt Sherrod. Matt has been part of Beck's band, and we happily welcome him to the Crowded House family.

[image=http://www.vater.com/education/behindthescenes/ontheroad/liveatnamm/images/D_MattSherrod.jpg]

Funny, now the yanks outnumber the Kiwi and th

8. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    wow ... the Pet shop Boys would be great to see live. (Probably the only band I liked whn I was 12, who I still really like.)

The Rapture and Gnarles Barkley is a strange mix.

And YouAgain ... "Chinese Democracy" has been "imminent" since about 1999. Seriously, don't hold you breath.

9. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    I heard Gun's new song on Hauraki today. Apparently it's been leaked to the net, and the mid afternoon DJ played it - kinda dodgy really, but anyway. It was a Gun's song, and at the time it annoyed me. I had a long hot physical day clearing bush... and I was losing motivation just as that song was played and i just wanted it off! lol

10. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Gun?

Uhh, what?

You mean Guns & Roses? If so I've never ever heard anyone call them "Gun" before. The Gunners at a stretch.

11. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    yea im tired and dont give a ****

12. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Meow meow [face_worried]

13. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Booo!

$130 for GA RHCP tickets... stuff that. I'll wait until they're old has-beens like the Stones and come back and I can get a reasonably priced ticket. $130, sheesh! Not when I'm trying to buy a huose...

I'll put the money I would have used for the Chili's towards The Police :D :D :D

edit = what's meow meow Solo?

and perhaps I ould buy up tickets anyway and scalp em... make some $$$ :p j/k don't kill me guys.

14. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Dude, they are old has-beens like the Stones.

15. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    It means you're being a pussy [face_shame_on_you]

16. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Solo: I'm being a pussy because I don't like Gun's n Roses and I was tired and couldn't be bothered typing properly. Riiight.

JP: So why are they charging like wounded bulls, NOFX is one of the best Punk Bands and they're tickets are like $30 and they come the same distance from the USA.

17. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Exactly Sfl!

Anyway they charge that much because they can and people will pay it, it's simple 5th form economics :p
    And it's obviously not much to most people as they have announced a second concert due to demand for tickets

18. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Maybe it costs a little less to hire the Powerstation than the Vector Arena?

And if you think NOFX has the same appeal as RHCP you're way outta touch with "average New Zealand".

19. Checkity_Chur

Checkity_Chur Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2007
    You can't compare NOFX to the Chillis... NOFX rule!

All going to plan, I'll be interviewing Erik from NOFX this Friday, as well as taking him riding. Awesome. I can't wait for the show -- gonna be killer!

I've seen a few tickets for the gig here in Welly go for over $200.00!

20. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    sOLo: pifft.

JP: never said same appeal, just said their prices are VERY different. If the punk bands charged $100 a ticket, they'd still have their fans go. If Chili's dropped their prices, do you think they'd lose out on a drop in sales? Umm, no!

Chur: as well as taking him riding

Really don't know you, welcome... but I sure as hell hope you mean on a horse or a bike...

21. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    those ticket proces are outrageous. Jeez .... I know they're big, ut $40 more than U2? C'mon! (All this is academic .... I loathe the Chili Peppers.)

22. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    You may find all shows at Vector Arena are in that ballpark. Supernova there are $98 and they've only got one album.

Also, I heard Herbie Hancock was announced today.

23. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Who's really going to waste even $50 to hear that twit sing from Rockstar Supernova. He needs a punch in the ear :p

24. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I think most people will be going to see Tommy Lee, to be honest.

25. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    I'm DEAD tired so I'm using this thread.

Put in an offer on a house tonight.

1. didn't get pressured by agent into putting my offer higher than I stated.

2. didn't get pressured by agent into putting more than $10k for deposit (good faith), she wanted $17-18k

3. insisted on reading (which I'm STRUGGLING THROUGH NOW) the fine print. Said, what's the diff between 9pm tonight and first thing in morning? I'll see you at 7:30am and sign then after having read fine print tonight.

Mum was proud.

Multiple offers, so it's kinda a tender - two envelopes go to management and vendor to open tomorrow evening and agent is sure mine wont buy, but tough, it's not worth more than i offered and there's always another house...

man i'm knackered :(

all experience going through the process of the offer though. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.