main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Update to X-wing video

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by ttandc, Nov 12, 2012.

1. ttandc

ttandc Jedi Knight

Jun 10, 2008
    G'day all

A while ago I posted up a link to a video on youtube that showed people a CGI model of the X-wing. I was never really happy with it so I made a better version and uploaded it last night. Thought people here might like to take a look.

2. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Those are really lovely modelling skills... very detailed. Which software did you use to construct the model?

I have a few thoughts that would improve it... what would make it stand out more is to lower the reflectiveness of the surface so it isn't so shiny. Up the details of the textures to make it dirty and gritty which would give it that used feeling as though it has seen a lot of action.

Other than that, you got me want to play the Rogue Squadron or X-Wing series again.:p

3. ttandc

ttandc Jedi Knight

Jun 10, 2008

I use 3ds Max. Sadly it takes my computer

Motherboard: Asus P6X58D-E MB, Socket 1366, X58, 6xDDR3, RAID, 3-Way SLI, CrossFire
    Processor: Intel Core i7 930 Processor LGA1366 2.8GHz 8MB Cache CPU
    Hard Drives: 2 x Samsung 1TB HD103SJ Spinpoint F3
    Video: Nvidia GeForce 460 GTX 1Gb
    Operating System: Windows 7
    Memory: 2 x Corsair CMX6GX3M3A1600C9 6GB ( 3x XMS3 2GB ) PC-12800 ( 1600MHz ) XMSP DDR3 (so 12GB in total)
    Case: Lian Li PC-B10B Black Aluminum Case
    Power: Thermaltake Litepower 700W ATX PSU

nearly 3 weeks to render this out so I won't be doing another one of these for a long time. But thanks for the suggestions ;) I was jut not happy at all with the first attempt ( which is still on youtube if you want to compare ). I agree the texture work is still greatly needed but I don't usually start texture work until the model is finished and this one still has a lot more needing to be added :). At the moment all that is on it is your basic colours and an ambient occlusion. The shininess is due to too many lights being allowed to reflect light. ( I had 6 ) so once I set that to just one or 2 you'll see a lot less glare off of it ;)

4. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I haven't used 3ds Max before but I am familiar with Maya and Lightwave. I can related to revisiting your earlier model, I feel the same about a few of mine... to paraphrase Ben Burtt, with 3D, things don't get released, they escape... ;)

Three weeks for the rendering process does seem a bit excessive... does 3ds Max have it's own rendering system or do you have to export through a different program? I'm sure there is a way to optimise the rendering process... maybe it is to do with the processing of the light particles across all of the modelled geometry and the different sources. I know things really slow down in Maya if you don't optimise MentalRay rendering with Final Gathering switched on.

With the lights, that does explains the shininess of the model... :p
    Which type of lights are you using and how are they set up? I tend to use to the 3-point lighting system using the spotlights (though in the case of one project, I had used 11 emitting from the object itself as well as the 3 point system... 14 lights in total)

It is a beautiful model, thank you for sharing her! Are you still working on it or currently on another project?

5. ttandc

ttandc Jedi Knight

Jun 10, 2008
    Max has it's own rendering system. I assume the length of rendering has something to do with a mix of the lights and the polygon count. The polygon count went up to 871 645, so no small amount but definitely not my smallest :D

For that particular video I used 6 lights, 2 from above, 2 from below and 2 to illuminate the middle when the wings opened. I did have one more worth showing that is not up on youtube yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ttandc

ttandc Jedi Knight

Jun 10, 2008