main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Vampires, Vampires, everywhere...

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Sinrebirth , Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I was going to say that the forbidden part will always be there because of the immortality barrier or vampires are secret/newly "out," but it doesn't have to be that way.

I agree with the for teenage girls thing (or for women, for the ones with more adult content). But I think it would be nice to have a book where it's the guy who isn't a vampire.

Your summary got me interested, Jen. I'm getting it from the library :D

2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Alethia: you should check out the 'House of Night' books. Vampires in the series change over a few years (I think) and while they change they're taught in a school about what it'd be like and how things are done. It's very good.

3. Danaan

Danaan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2008
    It seems to me that vampires nowadays have been completely dominated by Twilight and Vampire Diaries. I never understood the "century old vampire falls in love with high school chick" schtick - why would someone who's that old even want to hang around teens (for reasons other than the author wanting to sell books to that audience?).

Really, the heart of the Vampire myth has to do with the victim that becomes the perpetrator, the struggle between the Beast and Humanity, the struggle against an eternity spent alone. I find that the only contemporary vampire fic that seems a good steward of those themes is True Blood. And from that we have to go all the way back to Interview With a Vampire and Anne Rice to find anything close to a decent treatment of it. While I did like Coppola's treatment of Dracula (a wonderful homage to Gothic literature), for movies, I'd be hard pressed to find a better vampire movie than Herzog's version of Nosferatu, which really presents the best treatment of those themes on screen.

But for fiction that manages to incorporate all vampire myths across the planet into some form of coherent whole, you'd have to go to table-top role-playing games - Vampire: The Masquerade, and Vampire: The Requiem is both much better in their treatment of the vampire mythos than most fiction literature taking up shelf-space in the book store, in my opinion. And of the two, The Masquerade has the best envisioning of what a society of vampires would look like that has ever been published. It's not perfect, it has some very interesting gaps and issue that needs addressing, but it still stands out.

Edit: Blade: the TV show was actually a very good showcase of byzantine politics within a Vampire society. That was a surprise given the distinct poverty of the Blade movies, which never rose above the "superheroes with fangs" level...

4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I would like to see the vampires from The Historian take on the Volturi. Or Bella get her butt kicked by Spike just for being an emo dork. ;)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    The Historian was a very, very good book. Not my usual, but I got pretty into it.

It definitely did show the darker side of vampires - he was the villain, no question. Though, as I recall (it's been several years), he didn't actually get much page time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.