main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Virtual Card Love?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by outlander36363, Jun 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outlander36363

outlander36363 Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2005
    I am sad about the demise of printed SWCCG. I have thousands upons thousands of cards and have played since its creation. I've seen the virtual cards, which so many people hail as a continuation of the game, but I have been unimpressed.

We all mourn the loss but has that caused us to settle for subpar cards that threaten gameplay?

The original Cloud City Bobe Fett was a great card, I have him in two of my Dark Side decks. Why was there a need to "improve" him so now he completely dominates bounty hunter decks?

The game was great the way it was and I would completely support adding new cards, but only if they follow the strengths and weakness that years of printing created.

The virtual cards are too powerful and do too much.

I have seen the love for them pouring forth on multiple SWCCG boards, but I have to ask: are they a good continuation of the game or simply a product of desperation?

Sincerely,
    Wes

2. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    (Shrug) Well, that's what happens when you have players designing cards....

3. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    I think the virtual cards started off fine. Unfortunately, the cards have become more focused on building up specific deecks. The result has been pretty much deck/counter-deck: X decks are popular, thus requiring Y decks to be played...which means not a lot of diversity at tournaments. In my area, non-vcard tournaments have become the rule rather than the excecption.

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I think they're all fine, even the newer ones.

5. Squid23

Squid23 Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2005
    Fie I say to virtual cards! Most all of them are unbalanced and/or excessively easy ways to set up a deck; some of them are so overpowered against different types of decks that the SWCCG Player's Committee may as well release the "I Win" Card.

I say we should Committ the Committee!

6. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    I forget what set it was, but I lost interest in the virtual cards when they added a Defensive Shield that removed immunity to attrition.

Some of the earlier ones (Blaster Rack for example) were good utility cards that should have already been in the game, but there were some that were way too good.

7. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    Don't get me wrong, I appreciate and applaud all the PC have done to keep the game alive. But it's frustrating. A recent example: first they release V-cards which make Scum & Villainy too powerful, everyone plays S&V, now they're planning newer V-cards to counter S&V. Makes it very hard to convince someone like me to get back into the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.