main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist "WANTED: Dead or Alive'-- The Character of R_Zion

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by R_Zion, Dec 15, 2012.

1. R_Zion

R_Zion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    So way back in my younger days on the internet, I authored a series of fan fiction stores that I posted here on the forums featuring a cast of mostly original characters. In those days, I relied mostly on those more artistically skilled to portray my characters, but as the years passed and my own abilities grew, I decided to try my hand at drawing my cast once again. As such, thus this series of wanted posters were born.

Captain Marikk Danar

[​IMG]

Loon Danar

[​IMG]

Sillek

[​IMG]

Abras Seaskimmer

[​IMG]

Shalla Zarr

[​IMG]

Dormanin Vebis

[​IMG]

LE-DA21v (Leda)

[​IMG]

Craeldo

[​IMG]

Obbeo

[​IMG]

Naemi Alto

[​IMG]

7-LOM (Sev)

[​IMG]

R2-Z6 (Zee)

[​IMG]

Marikk and his ragtag group are the mercenary owners of the Nova Hound (an armed and refurbished Consular-class cruiser), while Naemi and her droids pilot the Sleight of Hand (a freighter of the same type as Borvo the Hutt's from Naboo Starfighter), with all of them being from the Rebellion era. Being that they are all fringers, I went with a more Hutt-esque theme for the posters, though the charges against them are strictly Imperial and thus trumped up.

I plan to do similar series of posters featuring the villains from this same series and some Clone Wars characters of mine somewhere down the line, each with a Rebel, Republic and Confederate-theme to them.

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    A great series. Nice colours too

3. R_Zion

Nov 23, 2004
    Thanks, Earlybird! This was all something of an experiment, so I learn along the way. I'm glad with how it turned out.

Anyway, with the antagonists out of the way, I decided, with a little free time tonight, to turn my attention to the antagonists of my old fanfic with a new series, 'Enemies of the Rebellion.'

Karada Barkura, 'The Mad Jedi'

[​IMG]

4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I love your Oortolan, he's adorable. XD And props for using a LOM-series droid.

5. R_Zion

Nov 23, 2004
    Thanks, Trak! Obbeo's always been something of a fan favorite... it's a shame I couldn't get a little more of his Iron Chef-esque outfit in the pic! XD

And it's almost a prerequisite for my to include a LOM droid. Zuckuss and 4-LOM have always been favorites of mine, and I had actually included them in the first story of this series. Thus, there was a partiality when I had decide what model Naemi's protocol droid would be. haha

6. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Heh, they're my favorites, too. Now I want to hunt down this story of yours...

7. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I hope that I can find some time during the Christmas holidays to read the fanfics belonging to your art. You intruiged me!!! :D

8. R_Zion

Nov 23, 2004
    This one actually didn't take very long since it reuses elements of the last poster, buuuut....

Lord Ravage

[​IMG]

I try not to post too much regarding background info (unless you guys are interested, so by all means ask questions!), but to fill you in between this and the last poster... Karada was a servant of Lord Vader and the Emperor who assassinated political opponents within the Empire while posing as a Jedi, thus becoming the public face of the 'Jedi Rebellion.' However, he failed Vader one too many times and was disposed of, but saved by his childhood friend, the Moff of their homeworld Osahn, thus the scar and a currently unseen cybernetic hand. Lord Ravage was his name as a co-conspirator with the Moff before his 'death' at Vader's hands and became his primary identity after.

And since you guys seem interested, since my fanfic work isn't on tfn anymore, here's my profile over on fanfiction.net: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/197337/GandFindsman

It's all very old and my writing has grown since those days, but they're still fun little tales. I'd love to do 'special editions' of them with a co-collaborator as audio dramas.

@Trak- If I recall from seeing you over in Lit, you live in Adams County, don't you? I live in York County, not far from Adams.

9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Yep, I live in Gettysburg. It's been a real pain to find people around here with whom to hang out.

10. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Oh thanks for the link! Try to check it out during the Christmas holidays! :D

11. R_Zion

Nov 23, 2004
    @Azure- You'll have to let me know what you think if you read.

@Trak- I'm down in Spring Grove, between York and Hanover. Yeah, it can be rather hard to get to know people in this area unless you frequent locations like restaurants, coffee shops or comic shops quite regularly, and even then it's hard to find fellow Star Wars fans. Most of the people I know around here that are into Star Wars in any capacity are either through school or church-- ie, fairly older relationships.

12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Well, I read the first story, and it was an entertaining read. Plenty of action and comedy, and really... you can't go wrong with Zuckuss and 4-LOM.

13. R_Zion

Nov 23, 2004
    Glad you thought it was entertaining, Trak! I know there are parts that are too derivative of other, official, tales, but it was still a fun little jaunt for back in the day lol

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Eh, nothing wrong with that. Most of my Zuckuss writings have been concentrating on the mental illness aspect, as I find psychology to be very interesting, though some day, just for fun, I should write up a classic jaunt for him and 4-LOM. I've had a plot bunny roaming around for a while with a whole group of bounty hunters, but it hadn't yet taken off. Mainly because the only conceivable way I can get them all together would be to get them all into a cantina and they'd all be drunk.

Hm... there's a possibility...

Anywho, back to the topic. I hope to see more work from you. Perhaps try drawing a scene or two from your fics?

15. R_Zion

Nov 23, 2004
    Ooo... drunk Bounty Hunters! That could be interesting. I'd sign up for that adventure! hahaha Also, the whole mental health issue with Zuckuss was brought up by one of the strategy guides to make sense of all of his disparate characterizations, right?

Also, I mainly do character work for various franchises on my deviantart page, but I'd be interested in doing scenes sometime, though I can't say it's exactly my speciality. Any suggestions on scenes?

16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Yep, his schizophrenia and dissociative identity disorder were retcons to explain away what quite frankly amounts to author laziness. :/ Honestly, how much effort would it have been for subsequent authors to crack open Of Possible Futures? And KW Jeter isn't the only one at fault. John Wagner messed up Zuckuss's characterization early on in the SotE comic, and then Jeter borrowed from Wagner's characterization. Only in Hard Merchandise did Jeter reference to OPF, yet Zuckuss was still using pronouns like they were going out of style. Mike Kennedy, who wrote the comic Underworld: The Yavin Vasillika, came the closest with Zuckuss's mannerisms, but he was still referring to himself in the first person. So, after several authors had their way with the poor Gand, he's left in a psychiatric ward.

Anyway... Group shots are usually good to practice with. They needn't depict anything in particular, but drawing several of your characters sitting at a bar and laughing is still good practice for drawing multiple people in a variety of poses. Putting characters in mundane situations is pretty fun, too. I have a sketch lying around of Bossk and Zuckuss in the laundromat. Perhaps the characters could be posing for a picture, or it's a candid snapshot of them goofing off. Lots of possibilities with group shots. And group shots can help set the stage for a particular scene, if you're feeling adventurous.

17. R_Zion

Nov 23, 2004
    [​IMG]

So the more I've seen of the Clone Wars, the more I've discovered that Hondo Ohnaka is one of my favorite characters. There's just something about him that resonates with my inner fanboy. As such, for the longest time, I've picture this scene in my head between Hondo and a younger version of my Duros mercenary, Marikk Danar.

In this picture, Hondo is older, fat and happy having survived the chaos of the Clone Wars. Marikk, meanwhile, is a young teen. I never had planned such an encounter for him, but perhaps Marikk ran away in his younger years and lived the life of a pirate for a time with Hondo and his men before running back home again. Knowing his personality, more than likely he ran away quite a few times in his youth like this and got into trouble. It's a wonder he's survived into adulthood...

TrakNar likes this.
  18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I've always loved pics of characters drinking, OCs or otherwise.

19. R_Zion

Nov 23, 2004
    Well, I guess-- even if subconsciously-- you were no small inspiration in that regards, Trak! haha