main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was Palpatine in-love with Anakin's Power?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Old_Zen, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaan_Karrde

Vaan_Karrde Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2005
    Okay... hold up, how did you come to that conclusion? You are talking about a GALAXY, billions and billions of different alien civilizations with their own unique customs. But of course, everyone in the galaxy is heterosexual... why? Because it's fiction? Because it's "for kids"? o_O

I understand the contraversy behind this topic, and I do believe that while we can interpret our favourite stories however we want, I think the subject of this thread is misunderstood and being interpreted in a variety of ways. But even if we were talking about some ****

2. Old_Zen

Old_Zen Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    Ok, for those that are offended by gays...well you can twist my theorey around and say Palpatine IS gay but he is also the EVIL devilish one, so if you equate homosexual as being evil..there you go. *sigh* ;)

EDIT: Hey..something just crossed my mind...mayve Lucas is a ****-phobic and thus subconciously he made Palpatine to hav the subtle traits of a homosexual since he is the ultimate villan.

Not everything is in the authors intentions..sometimes things come out on their own.

3. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Old_Zen, your initial post read that you were putting the idea out there that Palpatine was 'in love' with Anakin. This is all but asserting that one or both of the characters have homosexual inclinations from the way I read the initial post. You might have meant on a more practical level, but 'in love' means sexual/romantic to most, so maybe stating it different would be better. Since we've started down this road, let's just try to keep the topic clean and mature, and keep the comments about people in this thread to yourself.

And folks, please don't say stuff just for shock value. :)

Myself, I don't really see a lot of sex at all in the GFFA, George keeps it all pretty ambiguous and naive on purpose. It's his fairty tale, so to speak.

4. Old_Zen

Old_Zen Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    No sex in gffa?

"Ain't got time for anything else."

5. bad4good

bad4good Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2006
    No sex in the GFFA? What about "we don't have time for anything else"....that comment was pretty sexy. Also it's obvious Padme and Anakin did it since shes pregnant in Revenge of the Sith. Plus....the "desire" between Padme and Anakin in clones was pretty sexy...with Anakin rubbing her back and such....
    I'd say Luke and leias kiss in Empire was kinda sexy, and so was her in the Slave Outfit in Jedi.
    Saying Sex isn't a theme in the films is grossly innacurate. As for this Palpatine/gay/ theory I say why not? Surely more ridiculous things have been discussed and I'd have to say there are elements in Sith that would support this is one was to look close enough.
    I really don't see why this offends anyone, it is 2006 people.

6. ArchAngel_06

ArchAngel_06 Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2006
    Luke and Leia's kiss? Brother and sister? EWWWWWWWWWWWW B4G your killing me

7. bad4good

bad4good Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2006
    You raise an excellent point Arch-Angel. Incest is also a theme explored in the films...and incest relates directly to sex further debunking the notion that Sex is not a factor in the films.
    Brother and Sister or not....that kiss was smoking! Luke even laid back afterwards glowing with orgasmic glee.

8. ArchAngel_06

Jan 6, 2006
    After ROTJ, I could never look at the scene the same again.......[face_sick]

9. farrellg

farrellg Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2005
    Considering no one in the GFFA is gay

Humans live in the galaxy, and statistics say that approximately 10% of humans are homosexual. Movies try to remain true to human emotions, so I would assume that some people in a fictional world would also be gay. This has nothing to do with whether homosexuality is good or bad; it simply relates to the fact that it exists. Both evil and good people exist in Star Wars, as they do in the real world. In the same way, I would think that both heterosexuals and homosexuals exist in fictional worlds- regardless of whether that's considered positive or negative.

However, none of the characters in Star Wars have revealed themselves as gay. We would have no way of knowing the sexuality of any character, unless we actually see him or her in a relationship (such as Anakin with Padme). The Emperor has never had a physical relationship with Anakin, so there's no solid evidence to support the notion of sexual desire on the Emperor's part.

You can speculate on almost anything about the movies, but that doesn't mean Lucas intended it as part of the story. A viewer could theorize that Obi-Wan is attracted to Padme, but nothing in the film indicates this. The sexual inclinations of Obi-Wan or the Emperor don't really have any relevance to the story, so I don't think Lucas ever thought of considering these details in his films.

10. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    One of Lucas' film techniques is that everything is not quite what it seems.
    - Palpatine and Padme playing dual roles of deception and disguise
    - The clone army for the Republic (but made to order for Palpatine)
    - Dooku' role as apprentice, not leader of the droid army and trade federation
    - Palpy's coming out announcement to Anakin
    - Jedi code (Anakin asked to spy on Palps and Mace's decision to kill instread of arrest and try Palps)
    - Anakin's dream and Padme's fate (is it truly prophetic or simply self-fulfilling?)
    - plus all the OT stuff already noted above

Palpatine never lets anyone see the cards he is holding. His insatiable lust for power is all-inclusive. The galaxy revolves around him. He spins the galaxy. His desire for anything that will give him more power might be seen as 'unnatural' to many. But as the master manipulater he can do what he pleases with whom ever he so chooses. Read into that what you will.

Anakin views Palps as a father figure who is guiding his career. Palps needs Anakin to realize his 'Sith revenge,' and Anakin needs Palps to prevent the death of his beloved Padme. Both feed off of what the other can do for them. Metaphorically, Anakin gets used. However, Palpatine's 'lust' for Anakin is focused solely upon the young man's abilities with the force -- nothing more.

11. Bend_Ovi_Kenobi

Bend_Ovi_Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2006

This is not the forum for talk on ROTJ. The least you could do is type something that adds to the current topic, instead of merely commenting that incest happened.

What does this mean in the context of the thread? I agree, it does point to the fact that sexuality has been a part of the series, even the taboo subjects of sex, which should make it less surprising that some of the more mature members are drawing conclusions towards a subtle homoerotic tie-in between Sids the man and Ani the boy.

12. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    B_O_K -- (a) whom are you referring to (b) and why should we take you seriously having that screen name posting on this particular topic?

13. Darth-Mule

Darth-Mule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    At the time the Leia / Luke kiss scene was filmed they were not brother and sister in the script. Why Lucas decided to keep it in there, who knows. Maybe he is just a little twisted.

14. Bend_Ovi_Kenobi

Jan 5, 2006
    I was referring to Archangel. Why shouldn't you take me seriously? Have you read my posts or are you basing everything on something as arbitrary as a screen name?

I don't have to explain to you why you should be taking me seriously. Even the idea is preposturous. This is a mature and engaging topic, that I have not explored before in any way. What you are seeing is an evolution of thought on this possible theme in the new trilogy.

Besides, why would you stick your nose in at this time to snivel about something that is obviously not addressed at you?

Please try to stay on topic from now on and avoid the personnal jabs, thank you.

15. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Alright. Back to the topic and away from users, please. :)

I wasn't asserting there is NO sex in SW, naive doesn't mean "lack of sex" it means it's seen in that light so it can be something to younger fans and something more sexual entirely to older fans. By today's standards the "sex" in SW is pretty tame.

16. bad4good

bad4good Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2006
    Thats what I'm saying! There is some creepy stuff like that in the films. I resent being lumped into an "immature" category by BendoverKenobi for realizing this.

If you go by what Lucas says now{if you believe him} he says they were always supposed to be twins...and in the same movie they kiss, Yoda speaks of Another.....
    WIERD!

17. ArchAngel_06

Jan 6, 2006
    More of Lucas not being able to make up his mind.

18. bad4good

bad4good Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2006
    And so he leaves a blatant incest scene in there......thats how the next generation will see it you know....as blatant incest.

19. Bend_Ovi_Kenobi

Jan 5, 2006

The incest scene serves as excellent evidence of Lucas doing things in his films that were probably not intended, sexually speaking. It's a good parallel. This illustrates that Lucas has willingly left very overt references to taboo sexual subjects (in this case incest)in the series.

You can then use this evidence to suport the fact that not everything Lucas has intended these films to be comes off the way he intended it. This is where the Sids and Ani lusting each other comes in.

Sidious could also be seen as a sinning priest, with Ani as the young alter boy. Films have a tendancy to relate to the world of the creator in subtle ways only to be revealed by careful deconstruction.

The Jedi and Sith both follow the same religion, with the sith being the shunned priests of the order, with a penchant for sinning. Enter anikin. A young boy, growing into maturity in the force and is very appealing to sidious. Here sids tries to 'corrupt' the young boy, and succeeds.

It is all quite disturbing and interesting when you start thinking along these lines.

20. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    and anyway, even if he didn't intend it, sid still comes off lusting after anakin.

(likewise, even if he didn't intend it, the jedi order comes across as being cold and uncaring to me)

21. Darth-Mule

Darth-Mule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    I suppose people see what they want to see, depending on their own state of mind.

I see two guys who each have power that they both want from one another.

If sombody sees two guys lusting after one another in an un-natural way, then whatever.

I don't see it that way, and I doubt that is what Lucas intended for you to see.

Some people look at clouds in the sky and see two guys kissing. Someone else might see the same clouds and see a boat or something else. It's all in what you WANT to see.

Me, I'm for keeping gayness out of my Star Wars at all costs.

22. Bend_Ovi_Kenobi

Jan 5, 2006
    Would you also say that Lucas didn't intend to have a incest theme in the original trilogy?

Why would you deny such prevalent evidence? 'gayness' is not in whether or not you see it, its about whether or not it is actually there.

23. Kirk_Kanos

Kirk_Kanos Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2006
    Yes true it is in different peoples opions, and everyone see's different things in different scenes as in how they interpuret them.
    But how can any here say yes or no thats not how GL wanted us to interpurate it, I think GL wether purposely or not, I myself like to think purposly, left all these questions unanwsered, isn't it part of what makes the films so special and stick in or mind, the fact that also allows us to have these huge forums to debate such topics, or just share or opions.

If these question and possibilities where not there and everything was explained black and white wouldn't the films have lost alot of what really makes them.

24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Leia kissed Luke in ANH for luck. It was a quick peck and neither one knew that they were related to the other. In TESB, Leia did it to make Han jealous. Lucas dropped all scenes where Luke and Leia are about to be intimate. When Lucas did ROTJ, he opted to make Leia the sister. So because Lucas had left himself an out in TESB, he went the route he did. If you pay attention in TESB, long before ROTJ came out, Leia only kissed Luke to make Han jealous. Remember, Leia said she'd kiss a Wookiee than Han. Well, rather than spit hair out for a month, she kissed Luke. If it had been Lando, she would've kissed him.

25. Bend_Ovi_Kenobi

Jan 5, 2006
    Obviously, if Leia wanted to make Han jealous her statement of kissing a Wookie instead is erroneous.

You make her sound like a harlot, with all the people she was apparently willing to kiss to make Han jealous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.