main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Watchmen

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Varekei, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    Ok, obviously we can't come to a consensus on this weekend, so let's try for another weekend where everyone can vote on a set time and day.

2. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    Sounds like a plan! Maybe we can all wait for the Director's Cut. I kind of wanted to see Slum Dog Millionaire first anyway, before it leaves the theatres.

3. ScootyPuffJr

ScootyPuffJr Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2007
    Going to Arclight DOME tonight 12:01 a.m. got THIRD row center section (!!!) so I expect my rational brains to be happily blown away.

I'd wait for the DC, but um, 23 years is a loooong time and I can't take it!

Chanting mantra for weeks now "please don't F it up, please don't F it up..."

And worried about how Bubastis is going to look -- HBO First Look showed her from an overhead shot from the back, but hopefully they're holding her back so they don't give away all the goods in just the ads (*cough* double-bladed lightsaber *cough*...)

Mary-SPJ

4. ScootyPuffJr

Jan 11, 2007
    You MUST see SDM. We had Academy screeners of it and Frost/Nixon so could watch in the comfort of our own home. When one lives with someone who first worked on 'Millionaire' when it came over to the US, it is even better, like a huge in-joke that just kept spooling out. I was hoping it would win and so glad it did.

Mary-SPJ

5. GFORCE13

GFORCE13 Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2007
    SPJ have fun at the 12:01 tonight and SJ and MZ well I couldn't have made it anyway found out today from my Boss that we are working Saturday:_|

6. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    GF, Congrats on being back at work.
    SPJ, So, you'd recommend Frost/Nixon, too? (That's playing at another local theatre, a nice theatre that, believe it or not, only charges $7.) But, I really do want to see Slum Dog Millionaire first, even if I have to wait for Frost/Nixon to be out on DVD.

7. ScootyPuffJr

Jan 11, 2007
    1st, yes to Frost/Nixon, particularly if you're "of a certain age" and can remember when it was all going down (even tho I was a kid).

Arclight Hollywood: COSTUMES and PROPS from WM on display right now, probably thru weekend, Night Owl, Silk Specter and Ozymandias. Good photo ops.

Yays:
    New Trek trailer. Friend next to us pronounced: "I don't care about Star Trek, and now even I want to see this."
    Bubastis. Did not screw up cat, but shown VERY little until the last hour or so. Basically just in time for her sacrifical scene. Um, great.
    Cameo by fake Lee Iacocca -- the guy they got to play him actually looked like him, which is more than I can say for their Nixon. Kissinger looked good.
    Opening credits.
    Entire prison sequence.
    Costumes, makeup.
    "Hallelujiah." You'll know it when you get there. Hot hot hot!
    Audience appeared contemplative and thinking the entire time, no juvenile craziness during sexscenes, etc.
    Ending. Much better than stupid giant squid, sorry, and I do love me a good giant squid in a film. This worked better.

Way overhyped in blogs/press:
    How much big blue wang there is to see. Please, people need to grow up and take life drawing or something. Nothing anyone isn't born with.

Boos:
    Warner Brothers logo comes up on trailer in steely grey with clouds, etc. Audience ramps up because we think it's for Harry Potter. Alas, Terminator. Audience deflates. Dull but with big explosions and crap. Much catcalling of "Better not walk through his shot!"
    Okay, okay. I can see where the critics and fans are divided on this picture. Basically you have to have read the miniseries if you want to have the full benefit, but friends behind us who hadn't, were able to keep up. You have to concentrate and follow along with this thing. It lags here and there, but what doesn't. You have to put up with two hours of backstories to get to the good stuff, but it's necessary, and the way they did them is interesting.

I'll definitely see it again, but it is a HUGE and mindblowing picture with a lot to follow. I'm going to give myself a week or so to process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.