main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Week 1 Task] And the first thing you can tell is I'm a procrastinator...

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother 3: The Mods Strike Back' started by Jjanda_Solo, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jjanda_Solo

Jjanda_Solo Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2001
    Describe yourself as how you are and what your childhood dream is/was. Compare the two. You're to then explain what you think would happen if the two of "you" met (your dream you and you as you are). Creativity is a plus. Up to 10 points will be awarded on this task.

Well, I'm afraid this is going to be serious rather than funny and clever. And also fairly long. Bear with me. :)

Chapter 1: A Random General Description

My name is Julie. I was born in California on October 15, 1983, lived there until I was 6, then moved to western Washington state, where I have lived ever since. So, for those that can't do math, I'm now almost 21. I'm 5'1" and 95 pounds (yes, I do have to mention that), and pics are here. I think of myself as intelligent but lazy. I have a tendency to depression and I'm occasionally suicidal (but not seriously so, I've never been close to an actual attempt, just thought about it). However, I'm also pretty creative and fun when I'm not being bitchy or putting myself down. I write poetry, stories, and songs (occasionally, when I get un-lazy enough). I like chatting with people (and hanging out in person), reading, watching movies (funny and also serious), reading/telling jokes, snow skiing, shopping, music, and other things I'm forgetting.

A couple of interesting random tidbits about me are that I've been to all 50 states of the US but never left the continent (except to go to US owned islands), and that I collect little sugar packets from restaurants.

Chapter 2: Childhood Dreams

When I was fairly young I spent most of my time in either complete fantasies or outrageous dreams of the future. I invented a world with witches and magic and talking animals and acted out stories in it with my brother (3 years younger than me). This was from about age 6 on until I grew out of it (I don't remember when, sometime before I was 12). At about 12, we came up with some elaborate plans, for example that we were going to build the world's biggest most amazing mall ever, that would include, in addition to hundreds of normal and specialty stores, an amusement park, water park, zoo, restaurants, hotels, plus other crazy ideas. I liked to think of big crazy plans that would make me incredibly rich and famous. I've always liked the idea of fame and fortune.

But as I got a little bit older, or when I thought more realistically, my plans were a little different. I intended to go to college, probably major in computer science because I was interested in computers and figured I could make a reasonable income with that. My parents both majored in computer science so I was raised in the field, and I was used to being "upper middle class" or whatever, not rich by any means but not really lacking in enough money to have a house, reasonably nice car, vacations, etc. Basically, enough to be comfortable. This was also a result of my parents being good at managing/saving money, which I intended to do.

My other major intent was to, preferably while in college, find someone I could fall in love with and get married to. I'm kind of a hopeless romantic, and between that and my religious upbringing I came up with ideas like I didn't want to do anything sexual until I was married, and I also wanted to find someone as soon as I reasonably could and be devoted to them for life, then have kids and all of that good stuff. Ideally, I hoped that I could fall in love with someone at some point during high school or college, and date that person, and marry them, without ever getting my heart broken or breaking anyone's heart or having to deal with all of that.

Basically, my plan for life was to do everything "right": go to college, graduate from college, get a "good" safe job, get married fairly young to someone my parents approve of, raise a family. In the back of my mind I still kind of liked the ideas of fame and fortune, but figured this would do. I thought maybe I'd write music or books on the side, and using that as a hobby maybe ge

2. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I can see you've put a lot of work into this. Great work. :)

3. StarWars_Revelation

StarWars_Revelation Jedi Master star 5

Aug 5, 2001
    I can see you've put a lot of work into this. I'm a suck up :)

4. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
    Dammit. You caught me. You caught the tater. :)

5. StarWars_Revelation

StarWars_Revelation Jedi Master star 5

Aug 5, 2001
  6. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
  7. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Jan 23, 2002
  8. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    Good work, Julie. I can tell some of that was very personal stuff. I'm sure you'll figure out who you are and what you want to do. I haven't figured it out yet either. But you're still young :)

Anyway, i wanna give ya a big hug! *hugs*

9. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    I actually really relate to you in a lot of the things that you've mentioned.

The hopeless romantic thing - my dad was the first guy my mom really kissed, and I wanted the same sort of thing for me. But when I broke up with my first boyfriend freshman year of college, I realized that wasn't going to happen. After that I had another serious relationship, one that was short-lived but only due to geographic cirumstances - he was a great guy, but I was leaving the continent so nothing really serious could come of it, and I'm currently in a pretty serious relationship. But even if this guy is The One, that's still me having to deal with three more broken hearts that I was originally hoping for.

Computer Science - DUDE. Both of my parents have their master's in computer science, and I liked it enough and all that, so that's what I majored in. And then senior year came around, and I was looking at job prospects, and I was like "um... NO." So now I'm working on a M.Ed. in Counseling and Guidance/Student Affairs and I'm a hall director at a university, and I'm totally loving my job and my classes, which is a really interesting experience. Liking what you study? DUDE. It's nice.

And as far as depression? Yeah - been there, done that, as people who have seen my posts in threads about it probably know. I've struggled with it on and off most of my life (well, since 7th grade), and it hit me really hard after my semester abroad in Australia. I ended up working on that, both through a counselor and through this book that I think is a godsend and I recommend to people who are struggling with ANYTHING - be it depression, anxiety, guilt, or just the stresses of everyday life. I've pimped this book in so many threads, and I'm going to do it again here - Feeling Good. It's an awesome book, based on a form of therapy that I totally agree with, and moreso the more I learn about it. The minor suicidality, procrastination, laziness (though my counselor made me see it in such a way that I'm not lazy, I'm just unmotivated, which puts a better spin on it - because when I find something i'm passionate about, I'll work my ass off), all of those issues are dealt with in the book. And if you're still struggling with any of those, and you're interested in the book but can't afford it or something, I've got a one-time offer where I'll send it to you through Amazon. Seriously. PM me. Because I just got birthday money, and, cheesy as it sounds, I totally see myself in a lot of what you've said, so I feel kinda closer to you. And I LOVE the book. So if you're interested but have something keeping you from buying it, let me know, and I'll get it sent to you.

Other things struck me also - the loosening of certain standards, the religion aspect, I remember the issues that happened with the first breakup with someone on the JC, and from what I saw from that, it was very similar to what happened with one of my breakups - there's just a lot of stuff that I read and was like "dude, that's so me."

...yeah, yeah, yeah. tl, dr. I know. And some of you who actually read through this might be wondering who the hell hijacked my computer. But occasionally I'll get serious, and I guess this is just one of those occasionas :p

10. Jjanda_Solo

Jjanda_Solo Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2001
    Wow Carmen, that's really cool that we have so much in common. :)

And that book, Feeling Good, actually, my mom found it and started getting interested in it a couple months ago, and bought copies for our whole family (herself, my dad, my brother and I... and also my aunt). So I own it and I've read part of it, and I agree, it's great... :cool: I just have to work on applying it a little bit more.

11. carmenite42

carmenite42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    YAY for Feeling Good (and feeling good)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.