main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

(Weekly Task #1) - Sinfully Sweet Seductress - Our NJ

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother Strikes Back' started by NarundiJedi, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Thanks for the title, OWLC. ;)

(For those of you who don't know, he's my beta)

Alrighty, to start things off, I'm a 21 year old biomedical engineering major at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in lovely Troy, NY. Troy is known as the armpit of the state, with poorly paved roads and ornery locals. I get to meet both at the same time when I'm out running cross country practice. Nothing like tripping over a pothole while someone shouts "RUN FORREST, RUN!"

For hobbies, I'm a varsity XC runner in college and a purple belt in Tae Kwon Do. That means if I can't run fast enough from you, I can still kick your arse. But I prefer to run. ;)

I'm also a writer, and it's been that way since I was seven. I've always loved sharing my crazy imagination with others, and even a bit of crazy non-fiction. There's always been a story to tell, even if my English and characterization skills sucked the big one when I was young. (Yep, my first OC was named Jess. And she LOVED Luke! :p ) Right now I have a few good fans and a beta who hope this place survives the wrath of NJ. We'll see about that. . .

Like RMCOY, I've composed and produced my own CD. I've even sold a couple, but nothing major. I consider it a practical lesson in economics. [face_blush] My music ranges from folk to dance to rock to classical, because it's all good. I could write all those kinds because my main instrument is the piano, and I worked with synths for years.

I'd get into what I do in biomedical engineering and what I did for my senior thesis project, but I don't think you'd want to hear too much about the pullout strength of dental implants in cancellous bone or maximum and minimum total stress on implants. I'll let you ask questions about that if you really want to. ;)

I really want to be an orthopaedic surgeon when I grow up, or a writer, or work for an athletic shoe company designing footwear. There are a whole lot of things I'd be happy doing. One of the most important aspirations for me is being a good mother to my kids, when I have them. I love my work and what I do, but I love my family more. I want to get a chance to see them grow up, and have fun with them, because I'm really just a kid at heart. :)

So sit down on the fluffy pink couch, and feel free to ask more! :) Before I go, here's my picture:

[image=http://www.rpi.edu/~orsakj/jessroom.jpg]

See how many brand names you can find in that picture! It's like "Where's Waldo?" :D

Jae Angel

2. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Sheesh! ..and I thought my desk was messy. :p

Good to meet you. I look forward to getting to know you. :) Just one question... Do you dye your hair often? ;)

~ James

3. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Yes, actually, I do enjoy alternating between blonde and red, or even having both at the same time! :)

This weekend I was at a party and people thought it was real and I was Irish! [face_laugh] (I am Irish, but that's beside the point)

I could post pictures of my hair back when it was its normal color, but that would involve scary glasses and braces. :(

Jae Angel

4. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    I sure am thankful that I don't have any pictures from back when I was little online or around at all. ;)

Hehe.

I used to dye my hair in high school.. but now I just shave it (or, if I grow it out, spike it). There's not much fun in toying with my hair anymore.

~ James

5. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Hiya Jess, good to meet you!

..but I don't think you'd want to hear too much about the pullout strength of dental implants in cancellous bone or maximum and minimum total stress on implants.

Oh, I do! ;) Wow, you have some impressive education there. I'm always amazed by people with a scientific mind since mine struggles just to do multiplication in my head. :p

6. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    RMCOY - I was never brave enough to dye it much in high school. It used to be long too! :)

If I could dye my hair any color, it would probably be blue, because blue is awesome!

Katya - I didn't think anybody would like to hear the whole shebang about implants and bridgework. [face_blush] I still think it's rather boring, except when people watch me talk about it. But I like to use props, which is kind of impossible in here. ;)

Hopefully I'll be working on the same thesis for a summer job. Hopefully! :p (I don't have much luck with people getting back to me on things. Even when I hound them mercilessly. :( )

Jae Angel

7. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Please, just call me James. :) [face_blush]

And blue is alright. I had the most fun with green hair or purplish-red hair. Those were my favorites. :D

~ James

8. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    ..but I don't think you'd want to hear too much about the pullout strength of dental implants in cancellous bone or maximum and minimum total stress on implants.

Oh, I do! Now, when you say "pullout strenght", are you measuring the force required to remove implants from a dental polymer? Or from gums? Or wait, are the implants grafted onto a bone?

9. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Actually, the implants are drilled into the bone of the jaw, and they look like little screws with threads on them. The kind of thread pattern and how well the bone grows into that thread has a lot to do with the "pullout" strength of the implant. It's exactly like it sounds - how much force you need to pull it out of the bone. Cool, huh? :)

And I'm sorry, James! [face_blush] I do a lot of calling people by their user names around here. :p

Jae Angel

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    (Yep, my first OC was named Jess. And she LOVED Luke! )

Mary Sue!
    *runs screaming into the night*

;)

11. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    Actually, the implants are drilled into the bone of the jaw, and they look like little screws with threads on them. The kind of thread pattern and how well the bone grows into that thread has a lot to do with the "pullout" strength of the implant. It's exactly like it sounds - how much force you need to pull it out of the bone.

What are the screws made out of? Metal or plastic?

And I'm assuming the dental implants are along the line of dentures or prothetic teeth? So would certain foods have different "pullout" quotients? Say taffy has a pullout of 1 jillion, while soup is around 0? :p

12. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    [face_laugh] Thank you solojones! I was waiting for that! [face_mischief]

Jae Angel

ED: The dental implants are made out of titanium alloy, and pullout strength is determined (or I should say approximated) during lab testing of the implants. So no, it doesn't have to do with food you eat. It has to do with the kind of forces each implant receives when the bridge on top of the implants is loaded.

Imagine a bunch of pillars, and on top of those you attach the dentures.

13. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    a purple belt in Tae Kwon Do

I think you're going to have a long stay here -- if only because no one would dare to vote you out.

;)

And make it a fun stay!

14. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    I think it's more because dp4m wants to continue watching me with a video camera when he thinks I'm not aware of it. Like in the shower! :eek:

[face_mischief]

Jae Angel

15. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    Hi Jess. It's great to meet ya! :)

I'd just like to say that you're a little cutey... [face_love] .....sorry... [face_blush]

I look forward to getting to know ya! :D

16. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Awwwww, thanks Lenny. [face_blush] I do hope to get the chance to know everyone better in here. :)

Maybe I'll follow the trend and put up more about myself soon. . .

Jae Angel

17. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    No prob. :)

Hmmm...I may just do that too...in time... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.