main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Well, THAT was weird.

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Sithman, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Okay, so today I was going Trench Running for the Destroyer Droid (Can anyone tell me if this figure has already been around and I simply missed it or has it not made it to stores yet?) and so I went to TRU first as usual.

Now, they've had two pegs soley devoted to "Ketwol" since May. No one buys him. Poor little POTJ Ketwol. There's about 23 of them. Anyhoo, yes, POTJ is a little outdated, but not actually that much, so I don't take that much notice of it.

Well, today I went over to the Star Wars section of TRU to find not only the POTJ Ketwols hanging forlornly on their pegs, but a peg of POTF2 Princess Leias! POTF2, that's before Saga, before POTJ, before TPM: way back in 1997/1998! These figures were at LEAST 4 years old (seeing as that TPM came out in 1999) but they're probably closer to 5 years old.

I mean, geez, did a TRU employee do a round of housekeeping in the storage area? There were 10 of them! Sure, the cards were beat up, but it didn't bother me. I just found it really odd that figures 4-5 years old were JUST put out on the pegs in the last week (I was there a week ago and they weren't there).
    Needless to say, I spent the next 15 minutes searching for old Vintage figures, but to no avail.

Weird. [face_shocked]

So, do any of you guys have any encounters with age-old figures suddenly put on the pegs next to Saga figures?

2. jango_joe

jango_joe Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2002
    I once found a dust covered adi gallia right between a Saga Chewbacca and Han. and when I say dust covered, I mean I had to wipe it away just to see if it was a star wars figure. :( AND it was 5 more bucks then the newer figures, Bummer

I went to Wal-Mart today, Nothing new, I was looking for DarthVader unleashed. no such luck, It seams that they are doing inventory, I bet they have cases of stuff in the back, Bummer x2

3. Abhors Elder

Abhors Elder Guest

The Wal Mart in my home town just opened this past summer. The SAGA figures had been out for a while, so you would never expect them to have POTJ figures. Well, one time a few months ago, a friend called me up, and told me they had one lone Tuskin Raider Desert Sniper figure there. All of the SAGA figues were marked down to $1 on clearance (which I took full advantage of ;) ), but the Tuskin was $6. Even before the big clearance begun, the SAGA figs were still only $4.77. I still bought the Tuskin while I could though...

-saber holder

4. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Yah, you see, I usually don't think anything of the POTJ figures, seeing as they were just out before before the SAGA ones, but but these POTF2 ones were before SAGA, before, POTJ, before TPM: 3 different "collections" ago and up to 5 years ago!

But yah, you guys get what I mean. I wonder where these figures hide for all those years. :p

5. Quickstrike34

Quickstrike34 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 27, 2001
    Today, I was on a Run for some Clone Pilots, and Found an Episode I Darth Maul on a Peg at Kmart!
    Do they just forget about these thing in the Stock-Room or did an Employee hide it and forget aobut it 8-}

Oh, and about the Destroyed Droid: Yup, hes out. I have found him at TRU, but in small Numbers. I however, must have seen 15+ Of them today at KB Toys, where I finally found some Clones for the Gunship :)

6. AnakinWisler

AnakinWisler Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    The other day I found a Boss Nass and Darth Maul in the Saga line...but they were $5.88 [face_plain] A few years ago I found a red carded Yoda :D and it was only...$1!!! :D Of course, I got it. The card was beat up :( but that didn't really matter sense I didn't have Yoda on the red card. [face_mischief]

7. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    Actually, Sithman, POTF2 came out back in 1995. That's where I made the mistake that Han Solo in Hoth Gear was supposed to have a brown coat. The POTF2 version had it. I have all of the POTF2 line, by the way. :)

8. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I got my droideka last week at KB.

9. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I always go into places like Pic n Save and Rite Aid because you can sometimes find really old SW figures (like 3 or 4) that have obviously been there forever! The last find was the Green Card Ugnaughts at a Rite Aide about 5 months ago. I was so excited. :p I love that.

10. LittleGreenMaster

LittleGreenMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 2002
    Yeah That sounds Weird Sithy, But I think it's a TRU thing!! ;)
    About 6 months before Saga figures 1st came out the TRU by me had a Bunch of the Old Trilogy Commtechs, Everything except Stormies :(, Out of No where!! It was quite odd! :p
    They disappeared Quite Fast!! [face_mischief]

And one day about a month ago at the Same TRU I saw a Boshek!!! :eek: I had NEVER seen a Boshek in a store before! I was very Surprised! :D But I had already gotten it from the Web ;)

11. petmytauntaun

petmytauntaun Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 27, 2002
    Happened to me about 3-4 weeks ago at Wal-Mart...A friend & I go in, look around and there are Ep.I figs on the pegs next to the Saga stuff...They had Tatooine Maul, Sabe, Pod-Racer Anakin, a few others...very odd.

12. jawamonkey

jawamonkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2001
    was it monkey leia? that could explain it if it was :D

13. PhantomMenace

Apr 20, 2001
    Yes, Sithman is referring to "monkey" Leia, a very rare figure when she first came out in the orange packaging.

14. jawamonkey

Aug 23, 2001
    i gave my monkey leia to my 2 yr old nephew, not even he likes it
    its face mutated off and now is a brownish blob instead of features

15. PhantomMenace

Apr 20, 2001
    Very interesting...

16. jawamonkey

Aug 23, 2001
    indeed, as to keep on topic, that is weird.. the only old figure out on a peg shelf i ever saw was a potj bespin guard at k mart

oh and at toy liquidators they had POTF2 ewok princess leia

17. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "Yes, Sithman is referring to "monkey" Leia, a very rare figure when she first came out in the orange packaging."

Sithy is NOT talking "monkey Leia" it was Leia in "Endor Celebration" outfit.

Oh well. :p

But man, I would LOVE to find some old TPM figures like you guys did... I missed almost that whole line!

P.S. Thanks so much for the info about the droideka, I'll go trench running at KB today for it! :D

18. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    My local (well it's not that local) Forbidden Planet has some TPM figs for £2, I picked up another Anakin (naboo), Qui-Gon (naboo) and Obi-Wan (naboo). I wanted the Jedi duel version but there were none. There was a Palpatine and Darth Maul Tatooine, a few Padmé's and Amidla's. There may have been more but I can't remember.

19. SithLordBryJaTomarr

SithLordBryJaTomarr Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2002
    Perhaps I can provide a little explaination for Sithy's weird moment. I recently started working at TRU and know some of their secrets now... the reason those Leias were out is because they do inventory right after the Christmas season. To make it easier to count, it's best just to empty the warehouse and run all overstock/backstock. You should have seen some of the stuff we were putting out! Not just SW but all kinds of things that came in and there was either no shelf space available or someone just got lazy and tucked it away.
    One night when I came in to work, I passed a bin littered with the four Tattoine attack Anakins, Starfighter pilot Obi-wan, Final battle Jango, Count Dooku, Darth Maul in Sith training(the new red and black one) and a Lando Calrissian on the green card for 90 cents apiece because the case had gotten wet somehow and the cards were all warped. I remember pulling that very case off of the pallet the night it came in and that was almost a month ago!

20. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    That does explain some things Tomarr, but, I mean, POTF2 was 5 YEARS AGO. That's 5 post-Christmas-inventories ago!

It's silly, I tell ya! But actually, I like it because it gives me a chance to pick up some figures that maybe I didn't get that first time around. :D

21. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Same thing happened to me,only I found TPM figures.

They were really damaged though,the card was bent

22. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Yah, but ya see, that doesn't matter for me: I take 'em out. :D

23. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    It was just Jedi Duel Obi-Wan,and a Commtech Reader

24. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    I saw a POTF2 Palpatine at a TRU recently and during the summer I saw a Ric Olie and little padawan Anakin from TPM at a Wal-Mart.

25. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    One time I was Trench Hunting,and was looking at The Batman toys,I collect them on,and off.

I found a Batman Return`s Batmobile.

Let me remind you,this toy is ten years old.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.