main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by junio, Jan 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmaul13

lordmaul13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    I'm in between books now. I just read Shadow of the Hegemon by Orson Scott Card. Very good book. And then I re-read Darth Maul Shadow Hunter.

I can't quite decide what to move on to next. I saw Harry Turtledove's second book in the Colonization series in paperback. Maybe I'll get that...

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    RuneLords, book III: WizardBorn just came out, I'm starting it now. By David Farland aka Dave Wolverton

3. Demon_Lord_Piccolo

Demon_Lord_Piccolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2001
    I am mainly concentrating on getting caught up with the last two books if the NJO. But I am also readin Speaker For the Dead by Orson Scott Card.

4. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Ohh yeah, we are reading Animal Farm in school. It has got to be the only required reading I really love! We are reading it in class, but I read ahead at home and finished it. Its so cool. I love how it just DRIPS with USSR Communist connections, really interesting. I hope 1984 is as good as Animal Farm.

5. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    The Demon Awakens and the rest of Demon Wars is great, Wedge88.

Right now I'm reading Malory's La Morte d'Arthur. Next, probably the fourth Wheel of Time book.

6. junio

junio Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I am half into the first Harry Potter book. Nice read up to now. It's a great book. I should be finishing the book soon, maybe two more days.

Then for me: The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster.

7. Joyoda

Joyoda Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 1999
    Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs, a little more than half way through the 12 book Bantam Indiana Jones series.

8. junio

Dec 27, 1999
    I love the Indiana Jones books! I read the first one, Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi. Great read! I loved it! It really has the feeling of the movies.

I have in my book shelf the Unicorn's Legacy and the Dance of the Giants. After I eat them, I will buy two or 3 more, until I finish the whole books that have been written.

I have a question for you, there are 2 writers, Rob Mac Gregor, who did most of the books, and another writer whose name I can't remember; are the differences between writers very marked in their books? Who writes better Indiana Jones?

9. Joyoda

Joyoda Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 1999
    Actually there are three: Mcgregor, Martin Caidain, and Max Mccoy. I've read all Mcgregors and Caidains and I'm on Mcoys first now. IMHO Caidin is the worst. He's a good writer but the books don't "feel" Indy. BTW a have two copies of "the Seven Veils" if your interested. Also Macgregors books sorta "flow" together so you may want ot read them in publication order.

10. junio

Dec 27, 1999
    Thanks! I will let you know about that extra copy when the time comes. I am reading the books in chronological order...

11. Jeremyguy

Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1998
    Mastadge, let me know how the Runelords book is. The first two were great.

Grand Admiral Reese, I've never read La Morte d'Arthur, except maybe some excerpt or other as an undergrad. How is it? I've always kind of liked Arthurian stuff. Have you read Bernard Cornwell's Warlord trilogy (The Winter King, etc.)?

12. eclipse

eclipse Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 1999
    Jeremyguy - Ivanhoe is surprisingly good too.

13. Darth Tuna

Darth Tuna Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 1999
    I'm reading 'Teaching and learning Elementary School Mathematics' by Liping Ma, which is about how the Chinese teach math compared to the US. I can see why we get trounced in international math competitions! I just finished reading 'the Amazing Dr. Matrix', by Martin Gardiner, one of my favorite recreatonal math writers. This is a collection of columns he did for Scientific American. I'm reading a really cool German book, 'The Number Devil' to my 8 year old apprentice. It presents stuff like irrational numbers, Fibonacci series, Pascal's triangle and basic number theory in a really fun way that a kid can comprehend. I'm really enjoying it , too, and recommend it to all you math junkies out there!( Are there any of you out there?)

I just discovered a new mystery auther, Laurie R. King, and have been racing through everything she has written. She is fabulous!

Star Wars? Reading the Thrawn Trilogy again...hm... I should post on that Zahn Lovers thread.

14. Jeremyguy

Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1998
    eclipse, I'll have to add that to the ever-growing list. :) I recall seeing the old movie (from the '40s?) a long time ago.

15. junio

Dec 27, 1999
    So I started the first book of The New York Trilogy: City of Glass.

Harry Potter 1 was great!!!

16. Jay-Zil-Djian

Jay-Zil-Djian Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2001
    I am rereading the Thrawn Trilogy since it has been four years since I read it, and I love KJA's writing style so I am reading the Jedi Academy Trilogy again also. After that is Jedi Apprentice #13 and Saboteur.

17. junio

Dec 27, 1999
    I can't wait to begin reading the Jedi Apprentice series...

18. Darth Tuna

Darth Tuna Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 1999
    The A.C. Crispin book is great. Talk about reverse continuity! She's the master.

Junio, I remember not being thrilled upon first reading Shakespeare either, but then I had a revelation. My High School class went to a theatrical presentation of Hamlet for a field trip. Suddenly, It all made sense! It is not written to be read like a novel, which is what I was doing, but makes sense as a play, which is a totally different medium. But I can't explain it to you, you'll have to see it for yourself. There are lots of videos of Shakespeare plays. The Kenneth Branaugh ones are particularly modern and accessible.

Still, though, if you can actually see one of these plays on a stage, you will see why it really works. Making a movie of a stage play is a bit of a cop out, because there is too much freedom. To have to work in the confines of a stage, with a real audience and no safety net, and yet create the illusion of reality - that is magic.

To appreciate Shakespeare's language, read his Sonnets, especially if you are in love.

19. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Im reading Area 51 : The Grail, by Robert Doherty, a sci fi/ military series about alien conspiracies and other old Earth based legends. A pretty good series if you ask me. Next I plan on picking up King's latest, Dreamcatcher, just so I have something to whet my appetite for Edge of Victory 1.

20. SithWitch13

SithWitch13 Jedi Youngling

Mar 18, 2001
    Let's see...
    Shadows of the Empire (again)
    Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter (1st time)
    Redwall: The Legend of Luke (2nd time)
    Redwall: The Long Patrol (2nd time)
    The Last Precinct (1st time)

I can't help it if I love reading multiple books

21. Calli

Calli Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    Echobase--- I'll have to read that then. I am a HUGE dark tower fan. I had read an interview somewhere w/ King, him telling people to read that if they were Dark tower fans.

Ohh now I'm waist deep in 'Hannibal' by Thomas Harris. I have no idea what I'll read next.

I personally couldn't finish Mnenoch the Devil. It didn't hold my attention. Pandora wasn't bad. Didn't read Virturro(sp, I know) or Armand. Now her 1st 4 Vampire books I loved!

Calli~

22. CloneofPhanan

CloneofPhanan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2000
    Right now I'm reading The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick (he rocks, as anyone who's ever read one of his books would know, and is swiftly becoming one of my favorite authors).

23. junio

Dec 27, 1999
    DarthTuna, I went to see Romeo and Juliet on stage with my school. And I hated it. It may have been the environment. The theater had no air conditioning, the place sucked, I didn't liked it.

Maybe if I go to see another of his works, in a better theater, I would like it more. I'd like to see Julius Caesar; that should be interesting, more or less.

24. junio

Dec 27, 1999
    Btw, I can't wait for Conquest to come out! I'm not sure if I should read another novel, and wait for Conquest to come out, or keep on reading and stop when Conquest comes out if I haven't finished. I hate to have to stop reading a book!

25. ImperialGirl

ImperialGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2001
    Continuing my one-woman campaign against Anne Rice...if you like vampires, read Laurell Hamilton. Or Chelsea Quinn-Yarboro, though she's harder to get into. I just finished Laurell Hamilton's "The Killing Dance." I need to get the next one, ASAP! They're much better than Rice, who's too self-absorbed for her own good. (And her freak-show signings give vampire writers a bad name.)

I'm also reading "Doc Sidhe" by Aaron Allston. I love it. It's funny, and it has action, but not too much. And it's more fantasy than sci-fi, sort off. Kind of midway between. (I don't do hard sci-fi.) I can't wait for the sequel.

ImperialGirl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.