main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What comics did you pick up this week?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by JediTrilobite, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Dark Tower 3:Well done. I still can't get over how they've adapted my favorite books and still bring me something new with imagery I could never have imagined.

Fallen Son 1: Never knew Wolverine had so much feeling for Steve Rogers. Wouldn't have known it from their meeting in Secret Wars.

Captain America #25 (reprint) Had to see it for myself. A little too much conspiracy wrapped in black ops hidden within a conundrum for my tastes. Also, it appears that the death of Captain America intends to have a huge impact on the Marvel Universe, but I haven't seen a drop of response here in the real world.

2. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I picked up - among other things - the Ultimate Spider-Man Clone Saga HC.

It's a great plotline, the high point of the Ultimate Spider-Man series so far. But why, oh why, oh why did they not release it in the oversize format? Makes me very, very sad.

3. JediImprov

JediImprov Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Wolverine didn't have all of his memories back then including when he met Cap in WWII. He also hadn't worked with Cap in the Avengers.

4. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I hated the Ultimate Clone Saga more then the regular clone saga.

5. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I really liked the Ultimate clone saga.

So overall do you guys think the initiative and omega flight are worth getting?

6. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

I haven't read the Initiative yet, but I think that I'm going to pick it up next Thursday. I've heard only good things about it. Another series that I'm finding interesting is Thunderbolts - I may have to go in search of old trades to start reading that from the start. I hadn't realized who the initial creators were.

Reading the bonus material in the USM Clone Saga HC, I can't help but once again think: John Bryne doesn't like anyone else in comics, and no one else likes him. :p

7. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    I thought the Inititive was tripe. Boring, jackass characters, a stupid and meandering plot, and just more of the " HAY GUYS PRO-REGGERS ARE NAZIS"

8. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    And I thought it was "lol, Gyrich." To each their own, I guess.

9. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Gail Simone likes him.

But then again she likes everyone. Except Quesada.

10. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

I picked up the fifth Titan's trade today. Long wait for a bus, next to a book store, wanted something to read. I had read all these issues before as singles, but never one after another in trade. It's funny the difference in quality between issues. The art, the writing, both vary to an extent that's almost silly. When it's good, it's fantastic. When it's bad, it's really dreadful.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I have to say I love this new Iron Fist title. The old stuff was good in places but much like Bill says about Superman comics "Not a great comic and not particularly well drawn".

The new title is a bit of a retcon. The origin appears the same though there are touch ups. Rand's personality is different, he is more impatient and a bit of a space case though not stupid or slow or anything. The history of the Iron Fist is done much the same way Witchblade or Highlander is done. In #4 we learn there were 66 wielders of the Iron Fist throughout history. The powers can be deeper than just a really big punch. A quick hint is given in the artwork in #2 when a female shoots arrows at her nemies and the arrows glow, filled with chi energy. In issue #4 we see another wielder use was Rand calls "Gun Fu" by imbuing a pair of guns with chi energy and lets loose with the bullets. This character has apparently been around since well before WW2.

The artwork is good, and the writing great, and all new depths are being added.

12. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    http://www.diamondcomics.com

Click on shipping lists.

13. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    This Week:

Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four #1
    Battlestar Galactica: Zarek #4
    Punisher: War Journal #6 - Best issue so far.
    Blade #8
    Ghost Rider #10
    Wolverine: Origins #13
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic #15
    Iron Man #16
    New Avengers #29
    New X-Men #37
    Fables #60 - Great stuff as always.
    Thunderbolts #113 Crazy Norman FTW
    Uncanny X-Men #485

14. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    GAIL SIMONE ANNOUNCED AS NEW WONDER WOMAN WRITER

**** YES

15. NJOfan215

May 17, 2003
    BAck issues
    Friendly spidey 19
    spidey family 1
    avengers initiative 1

New this week:
    Kotor 15
    uxm 485
    NA 29
    Iron man 16
    New universal 5

Normaly the star wars titles are some of the strongest issues i buy, but Kotor 15 was weak. I really liked iron man 16, i think the Knaufs have done a good job on the book.

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Death Dealer #1, both covers.

Conan and the Midnight God #3.

There were Death Dealer books made long ago and I recall reading that Frazetta didn't actually care for them. I just thought that ironic that a comic exists for it now.

17. NJOfan215

May 17, 2003
    Do the death dealer books have anything to do with the underworld movies?

18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    No. I am only vaguely aware of the Underworld death dealer, that it is some kind of vampire. The Frazeatta Death Dealer painting is thus:

[image=http://whoosh.org/issue75/graphics/deathdealer.jpg]

I don't know what the current comics take from the novels at all. In the comic two nations once made war and the unstoppable Death Dealer came and slaughtered both armies, the vanished. Hundreds of years later a teenager and his girlfriend are chase into the woods by evil creatures of some sort, he is slaughtered and taken into the earth by the 'Grandmother Tree'...a huuge tree possibly the first tree...and afterwards the Death Dealer emerges from the earth.

19. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    About time.

20. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002

Ultimate X-Men #81 - The title "Cliffhangers" says it all. I counted TEN plot threads that are either introduced or expanded upon, and each one could easily hold it's own individual story arc.
    Squadron Supreme: Hyperion vs. Nighthawk #4
    X-23 #5
    Ultimate Spider-Man #108 - Moon Knight is crazy, who'da thunk it?
    X-Men #198 - Best issue of this title in a while
    Battlestar Galactica #8
    X-Factor #18 - Peter David is doing outstanding stuff with this title. Each issue continues to improve upon the last and I am really digging Quicksilver and can't wait to see what unfolds with him.
    Daredevil #94 & #95 - I am now fully caught up in Daredevil, yay!

Daredevil: The Devil, Inside and Out vol. 2 Tpb

21. Flametwister

Flametwister Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2004
    Ultimate X-Men has bitten off way more than it can chew, if you ask me...

I bought the latest issues of Runaways and Y: the Last Man, both a week late ^^;.

22. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    I don't expect Kirkman to explore EVERY plot thread each issue. This seemed more of a giant teaser on what we can expect to see developed in the future.

23. NJOfan215

May 17, 2003
    x-men 199
    mighty avengers 2
    cable and deapool 38
    red sonja 21
    sensational spidey 37
    hyperion vs nighthawk 4

this was a good week. I was pleased with all of my books.

24. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

Ugh. Kirkman's UXM is a train wreck.

JLA is actually going better that I expected. The latest issue, Batman really kicked ass.

I also caught up on American Virgin and DMZ today. AV is good, good enough to pick up, but nothing particularly memorable. DMZ is one of the best comics being published today. It's good to see the Vertigo tradition of putting out offbeat, wonderful books shows no sign of slacking off.

25. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Mr. Terrific+Batman= true love.

Also, I think all of Ultimate X-Men have been bad. Kirkmans is just the worst of the lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.